The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Did You Start Whippet Racing ?

Martin Tucker

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My father bought me my first Whippet in 1974 ! A small blue and white pedigree bitch we named KIM. Her Racing name was WARNER REBEL and the first thing I ever won was in 1975 when she won a little silver spoon !

We used to run at the Surrey W.R.C. at Fetcham near Leatherhead.

Would love to hear of eveybody elses very first experiences in Whippet Racing !

first came into whippet racing with my dad in 1960 with a dog called KANGAROO at AGECROFT WRC and MOOR LANE both in Salford it was rag racing up the tapes back then, run on a time handicap there used to be bookies on as well first bend race was at Halifax in the 60's

i used to go racing with my father in mid 60"s,but got my own in1970,there were loads of clubs going then in our area.i can"t remeber what my dog was called,(old age creeping in a bit)and ive been hooked ever since.the wife didnt get into it till i met her in 1979,she wasnt keen on them at first,but once she had her own she was hooked aswell.

I started whippet racing in 1974 my first dog i got from the dogs home it was suposed to have been a whippet but it turn out diffrent i let it go to a lovely couple as a pet.So my first whippet was huggy bear 26Ib dog out of (rinegoldxfancy that) of charlie arblaster who lived in darlaston west midlands ,he won quite a few puppy opens and runner up supreme dog at swallowsnest to boney express with kerrys dream winning bitches and supreme....fancyThat was Traveling man x sue from the Lancashire area .My first club was cannock miners welfare WRC were over 100 dogs would turn up to club race we didnt travel that much if you won your heat it was speicial so you can imagine how you felt if you got in the final being a new starter,,,,,, :cheers:

1st whippet was 1978 (Grease Lightning) i was 10 years old , but spent alot of time around my fathers and uncles greyhounds , 2nd 3rd whippet were litter brothers The Master & Road Runner , i had a couple of years out until my son adam was born and then bought a black bitch pup of Stu Boddie (As ya Do) 1988 she was called Im a Lady breed from his own 2 dogs (so sure x Hold tight) been racing ever since

Can't go as far back as everyone else I'm afraid. 2001 when I started racing with Connor's Lass, Mum had been to watch before with Dennis Ward and used to go and watch Pleasure Shared race, we used to take her out for walks for Dennis when he couldn't get out (I always called her MY Lisa).

So anyway Kerri (Connor's Lass) was our first, she was our "mistakes" whippet as the first always tends to be but she got her fair share of wins, especially the bends which she loved.

The first club we joined was Maltby WRC in 2001, Kerri ran a few times as a pup on the time handicap though not often as she always seemed to be off the back. Then in 2002 we joined Manton WRC and have stuck with them ever since.

Along came my special girl Blaze (Moany Moany), I think she speaks for herself with her achievements.

Finally we decided to breed from Connor's Lass and have two pups from her first litter Connor's Dream and Connor's Legacy who manage to have their names crop up in open results here and there.

Dropped on lucky really as all our girls have achievements at open class level. Though I'm sure one day we'll have a whippet that's not quite there and be quite content with running her at club until the next time we have a dog good enough for the opens.

got our 1st whippet 13 years ago sadly no longer with us. originally bought as a pet but found out about bigges maine club which was near us peter went along and joined with ziggy (marleys magic) has been hooked ever since. ziggy was really a h/cap dog but when u 1st come into racing u like to go to opens even though u know sfa lol anyway ziggy didnt race 4 that long as he got a serious injury under the age of 2 he was a lovely pet though and il never 4get him. he was bred pigeon x teal and we got to know molly & andy so when we decided on another dog they let us know that pigeon had bred again this time to denise & gary baileys baileys comet so we got brandy (hot spice) back then we knew nothing and had her spayed something that has been regretted ever since. brandy was a canny little racer and won odd heats here and there and she raced till the age of 4 when she dropped a muscle she is however still here aged 12 and still loves her camping trips lol then we got jazz (whizziwig) she was bred cracked it x ghd she was our 1st scratch dog and the 1st one of our dogs that i raced (40lb) she wasnt a bad bitch and won odd heats but she was up against the likes of son of a bitch etc she stopped racing @ the age of 2 and half due to an injury and we decided to breed her. we eventully bred her with mickey mouse and we got wot i wud class as my 1st racer zak (mickey whizz) he was a no limit and won lots ie the english derby 2 years running, the scottish derby. he was runner up numerous times @ both straight champs he never got a bwra or fed title though as some people think he did get a scottish title. he is now aged 7 and half and still with us. we then got sam (whisper whizz) who was bred from whizziwigs sister tiger lil x sole promise we got him coz i saw him @ mitchs house and loved him also he was similat bred to zak. he used to fly from the traps 4 a no limit nothing wud beat him out those boxes till about 100yds he wud still b winning then they wud pass him lol anyway still got him not racing anymore due to a dropped muscle aged 5 and half. then it was back to the lightweights when we got kez (crackin whizz) as a yearling she showed lots of promise but as yet hasnt won anything in the adults shes 21/22lb and aged 3 so i dont think she will do owt now but we still try and she occasionally gives a really good run. finally onto my baby and back into scratch racing with nikki ( nikki whizz) bred nikitason x ghd, always liked nikitason but hadnt planned on another dog but thru certain people going on and on one sun i gave in and we ended up with nikki whose showed promise as a pup/yearling and up to now hasnt been far away in adult races, she has just got over her 1st season and now its time 4 some serious training. i think we will find out by the end of this year whether she will b any good or not. hope that hasnt bored everyone too much lol

raced our first whippet 4 years ago but the bugger beat me i think it was when i tried to get in the trap that i knew i did not have a chance :D :D :D :- " :- " :D :)) 8) that was our lacey race name LACEY LASTIC it has taken that long to get a whippet ready to run we got indy but she broke her two front legs i think a few of you remember indy sat in the pink buggy she could only walk so far with the plaster on we did not want to leave her indoors all the time so we got the buggy for her we then got ninny race name PICANINNY and finally ruby race name HELLISH so it has taken 4 years to get a whippet good enough to run now we have 2 pups :thumbsup:to bring up and train as well as ruby and ninny if anything we are persistant we spent a long time going to race meetings with no dogs to run just watching and learning

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
my first was Baileys comet bred from Tommy's gypsy rose and dream vision :)) given to me at 4 months old by my missus Dee when we first met in 89 been hooked ever since :)

i first started in 1994 & my first dog was thunderbird aka billy who won the scotish derby no limit at dingwall :cheers:

i was a kid wen i first saw my first whippet wen my mother got with my step father,,,,,went to the loo one morning and opened the door and two whippet,s jumped on me,, :lol: bow and patch

in 1979/1980

got tooken to the racing ever since up to 1990/91

my first dog was at great leven open ( double sixteen),,,but my first real dog brought up from pup was (booker,s--PJ X BOOKER T) born in 1987 and secound dog ( cast off---IM OFF X BOOKER T) born in 1989/90

left racing in 1991 to do game keeping and gun dogs,,,,

came back in 2005, with geordie,s worst nightmare,,,and because i have a kid myself now,,,and thought it would be our weekend thing togther,,,got 2 more dogs ( enjoying every minute of it,,at kirkcaldy club :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,iam new to this forum and love watching whippets race hope to have a dog good enough one day peter

Martin Tucker said:
My father bought me my first Whippet in 1974 ! A small blue and white pedigree bitch we named KIM. Her Racing name was WARNER REBEL and the first thing I ever won was in 1975 when she won a little silver spoon !
We used to run at the Surrey W.R.C. at Fetcham near Leatherhead.

Would love to hear of eveybody elses very first experiences in Whippet Racing !

i first started in about 1970 ish my first dog was a pure white dog from an old bloke i knew! when i look back on it he was built like a bull terrier! to be honest he ran like one too! we used to walk from newcastle to seaton burn every sunday and wondered why he never won owt duhrrrrr!!!! still he turned out to be good in the fields though! :wacko:

i started racing in the early 7o,s with a dog called fair lady at cleveland wrc a lady called margeret keeler use to run the club . she had rch hells bells. i was the lure girl walking 8miles every sunday to race my bitch. my next dog was candtyfloss and i raced her at walkerville at catterick. i stopped racing in 82 and started back up with pips pride which was my 1st scratch dog

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back