The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Where Can I Get Good Quality Long Leather Leads

snapdogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We brought 4 leather leads from greyhound rescue (crufts) 3 years ago...

While walking the dogs along a main road... about 2 weeks ago... I suddenly noticed that one of the young dogs, was free! the clip had come open some how?

When I got home, I just thought perhaps it had caught on the buckle or D ring and that the lead would be ok, however a few days ago I was walking the puppy and we were about 20ft from the main road... and he was trotting along towards the road, and I was left with the lead hanging in my hand... My heart was in my mouth but I thought don't panic... I just called his name and he turned and came running back to me... now I don't trust any of the leads, and have brought the safety clasps for halti's and put them on each of their leads, but I really do want to get new leads and wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them... and what is the best safe leather lead you have brought... with good clasps, and where can I get them?

OMG this brings back memories, same thing happened to me a few years ago with one of my IG's.

I always used the long leather leads, early one morning parked up on the side of the road, got them out of the back & was walking the 5 mins along the pavement to the start of the woods when suddenly there was my IG out in front of me & there was the lead dangling in my hand!!

Like you i didn't want to panic him but out of the corner of my eye i could see a car appraoching & him at the edge of the curb.

I called his name as normally as i could (probably didn't sound normal to him) & in that split second it was like time stood still. He turned & just stared at me without moving, then as the car was nearly on top of us he stepped straight out.

It was winter & raining & he had his sheepskin coat on, all i heard was the shreik of brakes, the sudden thud & then like in slow motion saw the sheepskin coat hurtling up in the air. There was an almighty plop as he landed straight in a puddle at the side of the road. Total silence then the most horrendous screaming as he struggled to get up & hare off in shock but luckily somehow his coat had twisted round him & tangled him up.

The car sped off without stopping & i managed to reach him & grab him up out of the puddle.

It was then a total mad hysterical race to the car with him in my arms & straight off to the vet. I was talking to him all the way expecting him to die any minute imagining all kinds of internal injuries & broken bones.

By the time i got there i was just manic, they took him off me & i honestly thought that was the last time i'd ever see him.

Well all i can say is someone was watching over him that day cos i got a call later that afternoon from the vet to say, there were no broken bones, no internal injuries, apart from severe bruising he was ready to go home!!!

I still cant get my head round to this day how a 9lb Ig was hit head on by a car doing at the very least 40 miles mph & lived to tell the tale? The vet said it was a combination of the padding in his coat plus he was totally relaxed when hit, but i just dont know.

From that day on i have never used a leather or material lead, i stick to the strong extending leads & have never had a problem (thankfully).

Nina

nina said:
OMG this brings back memories, same thing happened to me a few years ago with one of my IG's.
I always used the long leather leads, early one morning parked up on the side of the road, got them out of the back & was walking the 5 mins along the pavement to the start of the woods when suddenly there was my IG out in front of me & there was the lead dangling in my hand!!

Like you i didn't want to panic him but out of the corner of my eye i could see a car appraoching & him at the edge of the curb.

I called his name as normally as i could (probably didn't sound normal to him) & in that split second it was like time stood still. He turned & just stared at me without moving, then as the car was nearly on top of us he stepped straight out.

It was winter & raining & he had his sheepskin coat on, all i heard was the shreik of brakes, the sudden thud & then like in slow motion saw the sheepskin coat hurtling up in the air. There was an almighty plop as he landed straight in a puddle at the side of the road.  Total silence then the most horrendous screaming as he struggled to get up & hare off in shock but luckily somehow his coat had twisted round him & tangled him up.

The car sped off without stopping & i managed to reach him & grab him up out of the puddle.

It was then a total mad hysterical race to the car with him in my arms & straight off to the vet.  I was talking to him all the way expecting him to die any minute imagining all kinds of internal injuries & broken bones.

By the time i got there i was just manic, they took him off me & i honestly thought that was the last time i'd ever see him.

Well all i can say is someone was watching over him that day cos i got a call later that afternoon from the vet to say, there were no broken bones, no internal injuries, apart from severe bruising he was ready to go home!!!

I still cant get my head round to this day how a 9lb Ig was hit head on by a car doing at the very least 40 miles mph & lived to tell the tale? The vet said it was a combination of the padding in his coat plus he was totally relaxed when hit, but i just dont know.

From that day on i have never used a leather or material lead, i stick to the strong extending leads & have never had a problem (thankfully).

Nina

the very thought of something like that happening to one of mine sends an icy shiver down my neck :(

:rant: to the driver that didn't stop :rant: my conscience wouldn't let me drive off

maybe go to a saddler and get him to make you some nice leads out of bridle leather made to your exact requirements and with serious clips on the end, if they can hold a horse a whip should be no probs :thumbsup:

the very thought of something like that happening to one of mine sends an icy shiver down my neck  :( :rant: to the driver that didn't stop  :rant:   my conscience wouldn't let me drive off

maybe go to a saddler and get him to make you some nice leads out of bridle leather made to your exact requirements and with serious clips on the end, if they can hold a horse a whip should be no probs  :thumbsup:

Good idea, sure they could make them good & strong for you, just what you need :thumbsup:

Nina

I got some leads from vicky of here there realy strong cos iv had 3 greyhounds on there 3 way conected to it and they all sore a cat yet there very light indys used them and they dont drag her down at all. the good thing about them is there buckele fasters so carnt accidently come undone. Iv had leads of clasp leads in the past and most at one time or another have opend so i only use buckle leads now.

nina said:

It was winter & raining & he had his sheepskin coat on, all i heard was the shreik of brakes, the sudden thud & then like in slow motion saw the sheepskin coat hurtling up in the air. There was an almighty plop as he landed straight in a puddle at the side of the road.  Total silence then the most horrendous screaming as he struggled to get up & hare off in shock but luckily somehow his coat had twisted round him & tangled him up.

It was then a total mad hysterical race to the car with him in my arms & straight off to the vet.  I was talking to him all the way expecting him to die any minute imagining all kinds of internal injuries & broken bones.

Nina

OMG! what a frightening experience. People who hit an animal & don't stop are complete S***s! :rant: What a relief that he wasn't badly hurt :thumbsup:

I do use leather leads & so far have never had a problem (cross fingers & everything else) Mine are all Gedge leads & I got them at one of the stalls at a CH show (can't remember which stall I'm afraid)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try Jans greyhound gifts - Ive had normal leather leads from her and a connector coupling for two dogs. :thumbsup:

heres the link

Jans gifts

I have leather leads where the lead is permanently studded on to the collar. The other is buckled on. The only drawback is that you have to put the collar on every time you go out. This isn't such a bad thing as a greyhound collar has to be done up quite tight for a walk anyway. Their house collars have their name tags on.

I got them from a shop that stocks greyhound food. Are you near a dog track with a shop? eg Wimbledon? or even see if there is an RGT website. Make sure they are leather leads as there are some that seem to be pressed card around.

Cerito

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wonderful leads and collars from www.dogsandco.com. They are really solidly made- no stitching just rivets and lovely soft leather.

god, how scary!!! we've been lucky, thankfully :sweating: but i'm going to take note, as its better to bolt the stable door BEFORE the horse bolts :thumbsup:

snapdogs said:
We brought 4 leather leads from greyhound rescue (crufts) 3 years ago...While walking the dogs along a main road...  about 2 weeks ago... I suddenly noticed that one of the young dogs, was free! the clip had come open some how?

When I got home, I just thought perhaps it had caught on the buckle or D ring and that the lead would be ok, however a few days ago I was walking the puppy and we were about 20ft from the main road... and he was trotting along towards the road, and I was left with the lead hanging in my hand... My heart was in my mouth but I thought don't panic... I just called his name and he turned and came running back to me... now I don't trust any of the leads, and have brought the safety clasps for halti's and put them on each of their leads, but I really do want to get new leads and wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them... and what is the best safe leather lead you have brought... with good clasps, and where can I get them?

Dawn - I love the leather leads from Accolade - http://www.accoladeleathercraft.com is the link I believe.

WEndy

I've noticed that a lock on the left in the following picture opens by itself quite easily, and I don't trust that type of lock on walks. On the right in the pic there are two of "BGB locks" (as we call them here), which I find much more secure. Sorry, can't name any suppliers in UK though.

http://www.kitlax.fi/images/hihna4.JPG

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back