The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Where is your puppy sleeps?

Yalta

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, just looking for some advise on puppy sleeping arrangement on the night. I am a first time dog owner so did a lot of reading but obviously it never works the same as with children the theory is not a practice. I have 10 weeks pup and got a crate which she happily used for 2 first days and nights. She is downstairs (no carpets) all the time as house training is on early stages only with frequent walks to the garden. With her being so little I am sleeping downstairs on the sofa and she doesn't want to come close near the crate anymore at all -I have never locked her or push her inside but seems that after she get used to our house and family she prefers to lay near/on our feet. Right OK- doesn't like crate I think she can sleep in her bed. Read a lot of advise saying to put her bed near your bed for her to settle in while she is small. On the night I move her bed near sofa where I sleep but as soon the lights are off she doesnt want to go there will be whining and howling (and barks -never barks in the day ) trying to jump into sofa with me. I have never took her in bed with me and I give her my foot or hand to settle it seems only making it worse, she just would not stop crying and trying to jump on the sofa. The same is when she wakes up in the night. I am taking her for a potty outside (sometimes too late as it pinch black and I am literally running to back door) but she will not settle back to sleep still trying to get to sofa and howling. I tried "pretend dead" when she whining instead of giving her any attention and she stopped after 2-3 minutes and settled in her bed. Wondering if I shall leave her to sleep downstairs by herself as not sure if my present only makes it worse?

I think if 'pretend dead' worked once, I'd carry on trying that (but do take her out if you think she needs to potty). You could also consider having her in your bedroom at night, on a dog bed next to your bed. Once she's more settled and confident, you may be able to get her to sleep downstairs on her own - or you may be happy for her to stay in your bedroom.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back