The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Which breed?

SRBT

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm looking for some advice please.
We are looking at buying our first family dog at the end of the year/start of 2021. There are several breeds we like
springers
cockers
labradors
golden retrievers
clumbers (although these seem extremely rare)
CKCS

Which breed would you say is best for us? Or another breed not listed.

We don't want any type of terrier

We are a family of 3 (6 year old child)
Live in a biggish house but small secure garden
We are home 90% of the time
Can provide gentle walks daily for an hour (throwing ball and a run around the field by our house) we have lots of green space by us. On weekends we like to jump in the car and go for walks in the woods and also go to the beach. We would like a dog that doesn't mind water and running around the woods but also content with this just being on the weekend. We'd obviously still provide daily walks up the field.
We do not mind dogs the shed or drool and would need a dog that is good with kids, cats and other dogs.

What dog breed would you recommend?

There is a good reason why golden retrievers are very popular, they are lovely dogs with great temperaments. There are three types; working, show and a cross of the two. The working line is more energetic and needs more exercise.

Similarly labs and cockers have two lines, working and show. I think springers are more driven so not so good for ”gentle” exercise. I know very little about Clumbers.

I personally would never get a CKCS because of the health problems - mitral valve heart disease is common, and less common but equally distressing is Syringomyelia.

Oh not a cocker, neither working nor show! We've had both and they can be more driven than springers. I'm not sure that just an hour a day gentle exercise will be enough for any working type dog- that would include the herders as well. They are bred over many many generations to be active and lively and have a 'work ethic'. Even the show types: I know of several show type spaniels and labs that are drug sniffer dogs! (Hyper!) How about a whippet? They love the chance to burn off energy but given that can be more laid back. (I speak as someone who has just returned from 4th walk of the day with our 4yo spaniel- that's 4.5 hours in total, all off lead.) Sorry to sound a bit didactic. It might be exhaustion!:confused:

Golden retriever though might need more than one hour exercise , Their coats get very mucky though .
I love their gentle nature.

You seem to be drawn to gun dogs,is there a particular reason why.

They are all wonderful family dogs but most gundogs require a lot of exercise especially those from working lines. The clumber has a beautiful nature, docile and gentle, I’m not sure on exercise requirements though.

The cav being a toy dog requires a lot less exercise than the other dogs on your list. Cavs would be more than happy with an hours exercise. This is the best choice I would say, yes they do as a breed have health problems as many breeds do, So ensuring parents are thoroughly health tested is very important.

I agree a whippet is a very good choice. Poodles also fit perfectly in with your description.

The exercise you plan would not be enough for most dogs, and although you see it everywhere there are dogs, ball-throwing has to be done with care as leaping and twisting can lead to some awful injuries. If you took on an older dog they might settle for less, but then you would have the trauma in a few years' time of explaining to your child why his friend isn't there any more. It always hurts terribly when a dog dies, but it's better understood as a teen than a pre-adolescent.
A properly healthy Cavvie is a lovely dog, but very hard to find. Retrievers have good natures but shed hair like you wouldn't believe, and can be very trying adolescents. Sometimes a gundog trainer will have a failed gundog which will have had basic training except for house-training, so that is an option to pursue.
Clumbers are lovely, but a small gene pool with consequent health considerations, and very expensive.

Poodles are super, but very clever, and I'm not sure how much time you could commit to exercise and enrichment. Plus there is the coat care.

There will be a dog there for you, and it's so good that you are thinking through your options, but it is important to see where you might be able to compromise.

Which ever breed you decide on, the love,time and effort you put into the pup will shape it for the rest of its life. Be under no illusions,they can be bloody hard work. Then the pieces of the jigsaw start falling into place,then you will see all of the time and effort you've put in paying off with a happy well rounded dog hopefully.
Remember though,having a young child that all puppies and young dogs play with their teeth.

This is quite an old thread, and the OP never returned after posting. But please do join current discussions. You will find a little date stamp at the start of each post.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back