The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet in season

CHRIS DOYLE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good morning everyone. Now, its many years since I have bred any pups(15 years actually...cocker spaniels) so I am in need of some advice as my whippet has been due in season and this morning appears to be definitely swelling underneath. I intend to mate her this time and need to know on which day she should/could be mated. Any other related information would also be appreciated.

Many thanks as ever

Chris :cheers:

Hi Chris, The noramal time to mate a bitch (if there is a normal with dogs) is between 11 & 14th day into the season, we always mate out bitch's on the 13th day.

if the dog your using is local start trying them on day 12 and keep trying them till they get a good mating.

some bitch's need mating later (or earlyer) than others but 12/13 should be there abouts.

we always muzzle the bitch's when we start and take it off after they have teid better safe than sorry for the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Roberts said:
we always muzzle the bitch's when we start and take it off after they have teid better safe than sorry for the dog.
That's a good idea. Some bitches get quite a fright when the dog enters them and do try to bite. Muzzling keeps the handlers safe from being bitten too!

My Layla didn't think much of "making love" at all - while she didn't try to bite her betrothed, she cried at first and then whimpered for 10 minutes of the 20 minute tie. :(

I always find that if you are waiting for a bitch to come in season you will quite often take her to the dog too early. Wait until you see bright red spots on the floor then as Mark say 13th day or even 14th 15th. dont count from the moment you see some colour or you will be too early.

lamping man said:
Good morning everyone. Now, its many years since I have bred any pups(15 years actually...cocker spaniels) so I am in need of some advice as my whippet has been due in season and this morning appears to be definitely swelling underneath. I intend to mate her this time and need to know on which day she should/could be mated. Any other related information would also be appreciated.Many thanks as ever

Chris  :cheers:
Hi Chris I assume you're talking about the Madam ?

Who are you putting over her ?

Regards,

Scott.

My one bitch started to "stand" on her 21st day :unsure: .......So as i am unsure of which day into her season i should have her mated (as 21 days in is very late and i don't want her to miss) i'll have her swabbed by our vet to see if shes actually ready earlier :thumbsup:

STRIKE WHIPPETS said:
My one bitch started to "stand" on her 21st day  :unsure: .......So as i am unsure of which day into her season i should have her mated (as 21 days in is very late and i don't want her to miss) i'll have her swabbed by our vet to see if shes actually ready earlier  :thumbsup:
Same Here.

It's quite normal for Ella to bleed for 3 1/2 - 4 weeks also, the dog i wanna use isn't exactly on my doorstep either.

the dog i wanna use isn't exactly on my doorstep either
They never are, the furthest we've travelled is Southhampton from Rochdale, so the last thing you need is not to get a mating? :(

Hi Scott. Yes it is Saucey Madam. I can't say who will be covering her at this time as Ineed to speak with the owner who I hope to see tomorrow at Much Hadham(general meeting). Due to a series of arrangements which will take me away for periods of several weeks I was doubtful about having her mated not knowing when she would be right and if dates would conflict. That is why that some weeks ago I did toy with the idea of buying a pup in. Not now though. There will not be a problem and I can plan ahead. I am therefore hopeful of a good outcome. Nice of you to ask Scott.

Many thanks for the replies and the very useful tips that Ihave received from you all.

Chris :thumbsup:

One of my bitches was mated on the 11th and 13th days and I got nothing this happened a couple of times then I got her blood tested at the vets it turned out she did not ovulate until her 19th day that time I got 8 wonderful puppies.

I tried several times to get one of my bitches mated without success so finally had her "scoped" by a vet, and found out that she ovulated on the 4th day! And we got 4 puppies at last! So there is no certain "right day".

I had full litters from a matings on 20th and 21st day, and Tamara (Morgan) has one puppy from mating on 27th day and I also know one who conceived (after several previous failures) when mated within the first few days of her season. (w00t)

Every bitch is different

Lida

Do you have a male who you can `test ` her with , once she starts flicking her tail over the side shes `on song` :lol: Good luck :luck:

My Pollie was mated on 19-th day, I thought she will have no pups... but... we got 5 that time! It was her first litter.

Second - she was mated on 12-th day and only once, because the dog was showing... She agreed (though she beat the dog with her tail when they stood in tie :oops: ) but it was a little bit early, because when we came back, in 3 or 4 days I noticed that my own dog became just crazy, so it was 15-16th days normal for her :( And I thought again she will have no pups... But she has 3!

Next time we'll make the test before mating.

My friend's foxterrier was mated on 5-th day of her season! Then she had ovulation on 13-th day, and her owner also thought her dog is not pregnant, but she was! Only one pup was born on 76-th day :blink: :blink:

So, you see, it depends ;)

My bitch, Folly didn't come in season for 16 months. We tried mating her on the 14th and 16th days with no luck. She was eventually mated on the 26th day and produced 7 lovely pups. I found that if I rubbed her just above her tail, she would move her tail in readiness. I used this method the next time I wanted a litter and it worked perfectly, one mating (on the 17th day) and 6 more puppies.

Good luck, I'm sure she will tell you when she is ready. :luck:

when i first desided to try for a litter we used the counting the days method ,as a few of you have said you can never bee sure when your bitch is ovulating :thumbsup: but over 2 years we had no success , i took advise of a well known lurcher breeder , he said forget counting days , just show your bitch any male dog and if she stands and moves her tail she's ready if not she's not , ..since i adopted this method ive had 100% success !

stark said:
when i first desided to try for a litter we used the counting the days method ,as a few of you have said you can never bee sure when your bitch is ovulating  :thumbsup:   but over 2 years we had no success , i took advise of a well known lurcher breeder , he said forget counting days , just show your bitch any male dog and if she stands and moves her tail she's ready if not she's not , ..since i adopted this method ive had 100% success !
I wish it were so simple!

I had 3 litters from our Bess. For the first litter I was going to drive couple of hundred km to very busy breeder, so i wanted to be sure she is ready, and i had her tested. She ovulated on the 12th day, we got 2 matings and she had a full litter (7). For her second litter she was mated on the 14th day and had also normal litter (7).

For the 3rd litter we tried from the time she stood with her tail aside =10th day. The dog played with her but was not interested in mating, I came back the next day, and the next...... Then we tried to see what 2 other, experienced stud dogs there think about her - nothing, nobody wanted to mate her. At home she stood with back to the TV,tail aside and hopeful look on her face (w00t) . We kept going back daily, until we got mating on the 20th day, she had 6 pups.

So tail aside does not necessarily mean she is ovulating, it just means she will mate, and many bitches are mated on the wrong day.

And bitches do not necessarily ovulate in the same time every season.

:) That's what makes dog breeding so exciting! The mating is only the first step; lot more unpredictables coming up :)

Lida

stark said:
when i first desided to try for a litter we used the counting the days method ,as a few of you have said you can never bee sure when your bitch is ovulating  :thumbsup:   but over 2 years we had no success , i took advise of a well known lurcher breeder , he said forget counting days , just show your bitch any male dog and if she stands and moves her tail she's ready if not she's not , ..since i adopted this method ive had 100% success !
Several years ago one bitch was mated to my dog. She moved her tail as you say, and was happy to meet male and almost jumping and dancing while standing in the tie. It was 10-th day of her season and... she was empty then :oops: I told this bitch owners to come next two days, but it was 31-st of December, the New Year... and they said it's enough. So...

Guys, this thread was started by Lamping Man on April 16 - Lida has resurrected it for some reason - but I'm quite sure Saucy Madam has had her season and her mating by now and is probably due to have/has had the pups with any luck.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back