The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Joy!

belge

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The whippets were up early this morning to catch the Easter Bunny but alas EB missed out our house so they had to make do with looking for real ones. Unfortunately for the whippets, rabbits are in a dwindling supply because, well whippets will be whippets!

Wratts_and_Sweep.jpg

The whippet gang run with my Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael) Tarbaix and new working sheepdog rescue, Sgribhinn

family_fun.jpg

The Broomtown Wratt and his daughter, Sweep, love to race around. I have had a straight lane put in the length of my property which provides the whippets with a 300m track to run on!

racing_this_time.jpg

Hello Belge,

Looks like the Whippets are having a lovely time. Looks like a typical Easter morning in your part of the world. I think Easter Bunny melted in my area.

Jill

What a great place for Whippets to race around. :thumbsup: Love your excersise lane, no wonder Broom was not happy to be in crate when visiting OZ.

Lovely pictures :thumbsup: Ideal for whippets to run :thumbsup:

What a brilliant set up for whippets, mine want to come and live there too!!

We have to go out to find so much space to run in, my garden isn't small, but it looks like a pocket handkerchief in comparrison!! :oops:

Seraphina said:
What a great place for Whippets to race around.  :thumbsup:   Love your excersise lane, no wonder Broom was not happy to be in crate when visiting  OZ.
Thanks for the kind comments about my property which I've named 'Longrun Holm' on account of the race track in the middle of the property. Many years ago, I built my own lure machine but had to travel an hour to find a park long enough to have a 230m course on which to run my whippets. Now I have the ideal property which is 7.3ha (about 18 acres).

My beautiful fawn brindle bitch, Dorisspeed Wratt, does the 230m in about 15 seconds with her brother, Starman (owned by Peter Walker and Jenny Aimers) about the same speed. Doriss' smaller sister covers the same distance in about 16 seconds.

I haven't timed Broom but suspect that he is even faster!

While very fast, the Groenendaels just can't get to that speed.

Interestingly, I tried my Wiltshire sheep (seen in the baclkground of one of the photos) on the lure machine using a wheat bag instead of the strips of plastic as the lure, but they declined to show an interest. I guess that sheep racing won't catch on in a great hurry!

However, I did attend a wine and food festival early in the year and witnessed a sheep race with jumps. It was hilarious!

View attachment 29942

(w00t) :lol: :lol: (w00t) Did the sheep race ever finish??

jools said:
(w00t)   :lol:   :lol:   (w00t) Did the sheep race ever finish??
The finish line was where I was standing to take the photo. There were buckets of sheep nuts as a reward there. The race of about 100m took several minutes as the sheep were inclined to flock and wait of a brave one to lead the dash to the finish :D

I think loud bang behind them would make them go better. But that again, one never knows with sheep :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
I think loud bang behind them would make them go better.  But that again, one never knows with sheep  :)
A barking Huntaway behind them would chivvy them along, I'm sure! :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back