The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

whippet racing and foods

P

pepper mint

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I currently have a pup which I am considering racing his sire/dam aren't really from a racing background does this matter and can this handicapp be overcome with the correct amount of effort training from the owner. Could anyone also give advice on the best racing foods around and which I should be looking for to start a pup on.

Your pup not being from racing stock won't stop you racing it but it will be at a disadvantage on speed.

but most clubs run club hcps which mean the slower dogs have an equal chance of winning regardless of speed.

RE: food ~ Red Mills & Gold Label are real good quality compleat foods Red Mills 27% protien Gold Label 28%. i'd stay away from Wafcol it gives them diorea.

pepper mint said:
I currently have a pup which I am considering racing his sire/dam aren't really from a racing background does this matter and can this handicapp be overcome with the correct amount of effort training from the owner. Could anyone also give advice on the best racing foods around and which I should be looking for to start a pup on.
We started racing with a show bred dog and he's still going (veteran). If you take pleasure from seeing you dog enjoy itself, racing is well worth it. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
my dog is from show stock & has done very well at club level, get him on the track peper mint!

I think the vast majority of people start racing with a show bred dog. If they get hooked, the next dog they get is from racing lines and by then they have learnt a lot. It won't be long before you just have to get another anyway :D You and your dog can have a lot of fun racing even if you don't win very often. There's a great social side to it as well which can more than make up for not winning so go on - have a go. :cheers:

very true judy sometimes the social side can be better than the racing side :- "

but if you love whippets then you have to let them run, there is a great wealth of knowledge you can tap just through this web site alone, so give it a go join a local club and your on your way.

Hi Peppermint, we havent been racing long & knew nothing about it, we are now hooked on it & our dogs come from mainly show stock. Like Conway says the social side is great & the dogs do what they do best run fast :lol: We feed ours red mills & gold label ;)

Hi Peppermint

dont start racing you just wont stop with one dog.

we started with one now we have three and maybe four this year . :D

Hi Peppermint :teehee:

I agree with what the others have also said. Your show bred dog will LOVE racing (I assume show bred although you didn't actually say) it is instinctive in the breed to chase and they DO get lots of happiness in doing just that :)

I too came to racing having been an avid show enthusiast, with three showbred dogs and had LOTS of fun with them. And like others I graduated to race bred ones - well actually I bred my own racing litter from my best show bitch ... they turned out to be great if I say so myself - so there was double the pleasure as I was winning as an owner AND a breeder :zorro:

Yes dog is show and also from working. The sire has very good pedigree down the line with lots of reputable show dogs and the dam is from working stock.

Peppermint certainly have a go at raing your show stock you could be pleasantly surprised. The fastest dog to race at the Northern club was WCRA Ch Magic Trick who was show bred and her grandaughter Graceful Chimes won the 24lb group at the recent championship. In deed the fastest dog we have ever owned WCRA Ch Gracious was Magic Trick half sister both sharing the same dam and is Graceful Chimes granddam on the sire side. Breeding is not as importand as a determination to win.

Hi Gracie,

I think I know who you are and if your the person I think you are I have the upmost respect for the dogs you have bred/owned.

But I very much doubt the avaerage show bred whippet these days could match the speed of the true race bred dogs,

Since Linda's dogs (which were very good) there have been the likes of WCRCh Gene Genie, WCRCh Sunshine, WCRCH Trouble At Mill, WCRCh Mad Dash at the Northern I don't think show breds would of lived with these dogs.

But I also accept that the Gene pool being what it is theres always a chance of it throwing up a show bred dog that could win good races.

Hi Mark

You have proved my point Sunshine, Mad Dash etc. dam Leading Lady was from a show bred bitch, which was put to Striker. Little Beba came from Leading Lady sister Black Energy. Incidently you could put Striker who had a lot of show stock in his breeding in to this catogorie and I can assure you he would be able to hold his own with anything racing today Call me old fashioned and I may not be as up with the breeding as you are Mark today but I'll stick to what I believe in and keep breeding or buying whippets that combine show and race bred lines and have the hybrid vigour that makes a good racing whippet. Thats what makes breeding so interesting, we all have different opinions.

gracie said:
"The fastest dog to race at the Northern club was WCRA Ch Magic Trick"
I don't want to question this, but would be interested if you could provide evidence to back this statement ?

Hi Gracie,

I would never even try to question your knoledge of breeding and as all race bred dogs go back to show stock and all those show stock at some point go back to working stock I realy do accept that race breds or certain lines could and still can hold their own at racing.

But on avarage the true show breds couldn't come close to the line bred racers these days.

in life we take the best of whats available to use in any breeding programme of any type of animal, Stricker was a great racer & sire.

Leading Lady was a good bitch and I once had an argument with a member at the Northern who tried saying she was race bred?

I must hold my head in shame for missing out WCRCh Little Beba who was herself a great little bitch who had the owners run her on bends as well as straights would of been (IMO) unbeatable for the top 10.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back