The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Stud Dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
mally said:
sparky said:
good choice, probably one of the best coursing whippets around before the ban came in. ive been thinking about this dog for my bitch.
whats wrong with using your own black dog sparky?

I think that Sparkys ,dog is still a little bit to young yet But with the make up of his ped he should make a good dog to use in the future, I hope to use him , all the best Corky

hi,i will use my own dog to my bitch, but if she has a second litter i would consider using johns dog.

hi corky, he has turned out a nice dog. he will make a good stud i think,

my stud dog racing ch. national ch VIVS QUEST has mated 22 bitches up till now and all have had pups or are in pup.The three lurchers he has mated have produced 26 pups between them. His average litter size is just over six pups i think you could call him a decent stud.

Another aspect that I feel should be taken into consideration with classifying a 'good stud dog' is one that is free from bacterial / viral infections that could lead to FPS. Bearing in mind this is not something that's easily identified but seeing as though were looking at whats classed as a good stud dog, I do feel that quality as well as quantity is essential.

At the end of the day what you class is a good stud dog is one that is competent, sire's a healthy litter, and it's offspring meet the requirements that you had in mind, whether it be racing, showing, coursing, etc. Whether it's progeny meets the latter is something that's only revealed later in life and it does take two to tango.

Last edited by a moderator:
>Whether it's progeny meets the latter is something that's only revealed later in life and it does take two to tango.

Which is also true of whether there are any puppies produced. It's amazing how many people blame the stud dog and not the bitch. (Not saying that's the case in this discussion btw).

Also a dog that's not easily put off, but just gets on with things.

BeeJay said:
Also a dog that's not easily put off, but just gets on with things.

Ahhh childhood memories of my Mum and Dad dissapearing into the garage for hours, trying to get maiden stud dogs into action :wacko: She used to tell me they were dancing!!..... :- " :lol:

I'll rephrase the question; What attributes should a stud dog have before being used to breed?

Should a stud be more important than the bitch?

His temprement and health should be 2 of the most important things to consider ...........I personaly think that you should look at the strength and depth of the dog's litter mate's, uncle's, aunties etc .........I personally wouldn't use a fast race dog if the rest of his litter were slow, with slow lines behind him, just like I wouldn't use a show champion who had crap behind him etc ........

Paul Melia said:
I'll rephrase the question; What attributes should a stud dog have before being used to breed?
Should a stud be more important than the bitch?

Not in my view. The bitch is more important. The pups will be raised by the bitch for example. But the stud dog should compliment the bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back