The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Temperament

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
midlanderkeith said:
Claire said:
I have mainly owned fawn and paler brindles until recently ( all Show Bred) . When I have become the owner of a Red Brindle and white Girl. All of my whippets have been quiet But Roza is a very " loud" Girl she is very vocal at play and much bolder than any other whippet I have owned.
Hi claire this is collooney knock on wood

Hi Keith Does She have The Looney Collooney Gene ???

( She is beautiful :wub: :thumbsup: )

:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Claire said:
midlanderkeith said:
Claire said:
I have mainly owned fawn and paler brindles until recently ( all Show Bred) . When I have become the owner of a Red Brindle and white Girl. All of my whippets have been quiet But Roza is a very " loud" Girl she is very vocal at play and much bolder than any other whippet I have owned.
Hi claire this is collooney knock on wood

Hi Keith Does She have The Looney Collooney Gene ???

( She is beautiful :wub: :thumbsup: )

Hi Claire, glad you like her, you ask if she has the looney collooney gene, not in the least, she is extremely steady, we are well pleased with her, when you see viv tell her how lovely she is, by the way, my mrs wants your sofa. :thumbsup:

Colour has no impact on temperement the line and genetics are responsible

Think about it, as colour often runs with certain lines ie : a complete full line of fawns always bred to nothing but fawns the line & genetics are primarily what makes the temperament what it is, which is why people often say the fawns are easier & more biddable.

Where as take a fawn line & breed it to a brindle line then yes any resulting brindles may take after the genetics of the brindle line more so than the fawns or vice versa but is why people often associate temperament with colour.

No one is saying colour alone determines the temperament but it stands to reason if you have a dog of nothing but pure fawn breeding the temperament of the dogs behind it is going to be the resulting factor & for some reason they are quieter & calmer where as a dog bred from full brindle lines who seem to be feistier & slightly sharper are going to follow suit.

A combination of the 2 are gonna produce either or a combination.

I think we are just taking it on the whole & saying pure bred fawn lines & pure bred brindle lines can result in totally different temperaments going back to what Karen explained in her post about outcrossing way back.

nina said:
Colour has no impact on temperement the line and genetics are responsible

Think about it, as colour often runs with certain lines ie : a complete full line of fawns always bred to nothing but fawns the line & genetics are primarily what makes the temperament what it is, which is why people often say the fawns are easier & more biddable.

Where as take a fawn line & breed it to a brindle line then yes any resulting brindles may take after the genetics of the brindle line more so than the fawns or vice versa but is why people often associate temperament with colour.

No one is saying colour alone determines the temperament but it stands to reason if you have a dog of nothing but pure fawn breeding the temperament of the dogs behind it is going to be the resulting factor & for some reason they are quieter & calmer where as a dog bred from full brindle lines who seem to be feistier & slightly sharper are going to follow suit.

A combination of the 2 are gonna produce either or a combination.

I think we are just taking it on the whole & saying pure bred fawn lines & pure bred brindle lines can result in totally different temperaments going back to what Karen explained in her post about outcrossing way back.

correct, but it is wrong to make comment on colour like that when there are so many people on this forum looking for advise it skews judgement

correct, but it is wrong to make comment on colour like that when there are so many people on this forum looking for advise it skews judgement

Here we go.

If you read my post i said originally i was basing this on personal experience of dogs i had personally owned ONLY. I am not speaking for the entire breed.

This is my personal opinion so go ahead slate it as you normally do anything i post but this is my view of MY DOGS.

Everyone else is free to make up their own minds & opinions but after 25 years living with this breed i was just sharing what i had experienced.

:( This has in parts been an interesting thread, so let's keep it that way shall we? (w00t) (w00t)

So, does colour dictate, to some extent, nature in the whippet? As this is such a specific question, and as the Whippet Club has not, to my knowledge, invested in expensive scientific research on this question ( :wacko: ) replies are going to be anecdotal aren't they?!! And also very contradictory as well.

Some characteristics were thought to be carried by colour, for example, an ALL black whippet with no other colour on the animal at all was believed to have soft bones, and thus not be desirable for working purposes - (and anecdotally, the incidences I have witnessed of bone injury in the young dog have been with all black whippets).

I know people who will not have an all blue whippet for racing purposes, believing that the blue dog is not up to the job of racing - but again, for them it was experiential learning that put them off!

If I can find anything in the back issues of the Whippet magazine or other old editions I have, I'll let you know, but can't remember reading anything linking colour and nature.

There is an interesting article within this thread, .......... one for Judy??? :p

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
:( This has in parts been an interesting thread, so let's keep it that way shall we? (w00t) (w00t)

Yes, it would be nice.

Its far better to respect other people's opinions whether you agree personally or not.

I'm sure lots of people disagree with MY experiences on colour & temperaments & it would be interesting to know what their opinions are also :thumbsup:

If we all thought the same it would make for a very boring world :)

nina said:

Here we go.

If you read my post i said originally i was basing this on personal experience of dogs i had personally owned ONLY. I am not speaking for the entire breed.

This is my personal opinion so go ahead slate it as you normally do anything i post but this is my view of MY DOGS.

Everyone else is free to make up their own minds & opinions but after 25 years living with this breed i was just sharing what i had experienced.

i agreed you are correct in what you say ill write that again in caps AGREED i was referring to the post by maggymills stating fawns etc are more biddable than other colours your so busy snapping back you dont read the post

nina said:
Smiffy@VeronnaV said:

Yes, it would be nice.

Its far better to respect other people's opinions whether you agree personally or not.

I'm sure lots of people disagree with MY experiences on colour & temperaments & it would be interesting to know what their opinions are also :thumbsup:

If we all thought the same it would make for a very boring world :)

i totally respect your opinion Nina

Above was your reply Masta to MY post. 

All i'm saying is its not very nice to immediately jump on someone & tell them they are WRONG for just sharing personal experience & their views, why is it wrong of them to just try & share what they have experienced over the years.

If i were trying to state it was scientifically proven & carved in stone that colour depicts temperament, fair enough, tell me i'm wrong BUT we all know this isn't the case.

There are many people's views i dont necessarily agree with BUT i dont say they are WRONG, for something like this which hasn't ever been proven either way, who is to say who is right & who is wrong??  We just all have different beliefs.

Appreciated & likewise :thumbsup:

nina said:
Above was your reply Masta to MY post. 

All i'm saying is its not very nice to immediately jump on someone & tell them they are WRONG for just sharing personal experience & their views, why is it wrong of them to just try & share what they have experienced over the years.

If i were trying to state it was scientifically proven & carved in stone that colour depicts temperament, fair enough, tell me i'm wrong BUT we all know this isn't the case.

There are many people's views i dont necessarily agree with BUT i dont say they are WRONG, for something like this which hasn't ever been proven either way, who is to say who is right & who is wrong??  We just all have different beliefs.

Appreciated & likewise :thumbsup:

[ All i'm saying is its not very nice to immediately jump on someone & tell them they are WRONG for just sharing personal experience & their views, why is it wrong of them to just try & share what they have experienced over the years................

i am with you 100% but the trouble is this is a forum and i was replying too your post whichever way i do it it,s gonna look like i'm "immediately jumping on" also having an opinion that is different to the one your posting about is sort of saying their "wrong"

But to clarify for anyone reading this is i agreed with Nina's comments and i 100% disagree with a post by maggymills that colour has any hand in trait, colour is the result of breeding and breeding,line,genetics define trait temper etc

i am with you 100% but the trouble is this is a forum and i was replying too your post whichever way i do it it,s gonna look like i'm "immediately jumping on" also having an opinion that is different to the one your posting about is sort of saying their "wrong"
But to clarify for anyone reading this is i agreed with Nina's comments and i 100% disagree with a post by maggymills that colour has any hand in trait, colour is the result of breeding and breeding,line,genetics define trait temper etc

I think its great that you have an opinion that is different from mine or maggymills or anyone & because you dont maybe agree with me or the next person i certainly would not say YOU are WRONG.

Just as i dont think its fair of you or anyone to immediately say that someone else is WRONG because their opinion is different.

Its great to disagree & often constructive to listen to different views whether you think they are correct or not BUT lets just try & agree to disagree over different issues without immediately telling people they are WRONG just because their opinion isn't the same as our own :thumbsup:

well if you look on the net there have been studies of cats and there colour and tempramnet for years and there is a genral relationship to there colour and nature but again with factours like there upbringing and even dite to add in to the mixs it is a very genraliesd relationships. as a ruff cat guied blacks were ther frendlyest to there owners but could be shy with strangers. tortesshells they carry the red gene (femiles dont get main torties) are nutters hence the nick name naughty torties but red males are very happy little lazy sods.

Dont know werether the reserch has been done in dogs. but personliy think dog breeds natuer are much more extream than cats and there breed type will genrily over ride any colour traints. with 6 fawns 1 fawn and white and 2 black here all i can say is there all very very differnt natures even the siblings.

The only odd thing we have noticed is they do tend to want to stick with there own colour. the fawns just mixs and mingle yet the 2 blacks ninny whos 4 and is not relted to darcey aged 2 the other black are allways togethere yet she has 2 sibling here and her mum but here fawns. he 2 black girls do everything togethere include make the most noise

I think when people are judging temperment they are saying they can predict what a dog will do instinctively in a situation.

I have my doubts. We have 20 whippets here and none of them are the same in personality and I wouldn't proclaim to know exactly how one of them would behave in a new situation.

Temperment to me is a generalisation as in generally whippet's don't try to attack other dogs, generally they're biddable, generally they're friendly but I know for a fact that we have dogs here that will do the opposite in a given situation just purely because they are individuals.

No-one should, as a prospective first time dog owner presume that because a book or a person states that a certain breed of dog's temperment is such and such it will therefore be like that. We've had dobermanns that would attack in a heartbeat whilst some would run the opposite way and I've got to admit I've got whippets that are exactly the same!

They are all dogs, given enough free will they will behave unruly, assert too much dominance and you'll break their spirit. The fact is any dog is an open book and it's overall temperment is highly dependant on the input of the owner and even then, individuality will shine through on each one.

Probably a good current example here is the four pups we have growing up. I picked 2 my partner picked 2. Personalities threw a spanner in the works and we've had to swap pups round because they're better suited to the other person's character and have ''chosen them''! :teehee:

It's nothing unusual though, there's countless pups I've known who've been bought for one member of the family only for the dog to decide to bond with someone else!

Oh and we have a menagerie of colours (blues, blacks, black & white parti's, fawn and white parti's, fawns and red fawns) none of them have similarities here and suspect that it's more an issue of similar owner personalities that's effecting the dogs more than anything.

I worked at the Greyhound kennels for some years in the 70s and if the youngsters came into trial and wouldnt chase the lure they were taken away and put to sleep, people can be very unforgiving in persuit of perfection :(
Had to pull out this one because of me racing dogs. I can't help but think these dogs that don't chase just don't get the motivation to do so. Some dogs have an instinct to chase, I think a lot more have an instinct to please their owner as domestic dogs and as such if a person is committed enough to bond with these dogs and work hard they'll be rewarded. My friend's currently watching a greyhound being trained who's owners seem to be adopting a blase attitude to it's lack of confidence during a race and think by racing it more, it'll ''come together''. I think for businesses rearing greyhounds, such challenges just don't have the manpower or the time to ''tap'' into these dog's personalities. I suppose by doing this the business becomes more efficient and kennels don't get ''dogged down'' but I do wonder how fulfilling it could possibly be working with such animals. I personally like the challenge, it's certainly more rewarding if they suceed even if they don't actually win. :thumbsup:

what is this? bring back ancient thread day?

interesting read in places though ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back