The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Topline

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Someone mentioned earlier about old photos and handling techniques. I remember as a girl it was often the case that handlers would hold of the muzzle and stretch the neck out and then tuck them up underneath. I don't remember our whippets having a hump like a camel but they did not have the length modern whippets have so everything was contained in a shorter package. (well I know what I mean :wacko: )

Jenny

Someone mentioned earlier about old photos and handling techniques. I remember as a girl it was often the case that handlers would hold of the muzzle and stretch the neck out and then tuck them up underneath. I don't remember our whippets having a hump like a camel but they did not have the length modern whippets have so everything was contained in a shorter package. (well I know what I mean :wacko: )
Jenny
How far back are you going Jenny? 60s 70s????

Jenny
20's...30's....??? :oops:

Jenny
20's...30's....??? :oops:
They were very different then, if I can photo copy a picture from a dog book I have from the thirties, Tiptree whippets, most interesting.

I think the dogs in the photo at Bodmin are correct, but that is just my opinion! :lol:

Here is a pic of the late 60's

19700001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very interesting to us amateurs...
Just looked through photobucket briefly, and although these are just snap shots would welcome opinions...I know none of these dogs...hope I don't offend anyone :D

PoppyMinorinShow2004.jpg

This is only a baby, but has quite a humpy back to me...

00bb34.gif

This one to me looks the best of the ones I can find on there, top line wise...

The first pic is of a Greyhound so not really a good comparison(sp?)

who's the brindle dog looks very nice

heres a pic of my rosie to me she has the correct topline

think of the whippets topline as a series of elegant curves and think about why these curves are necessary for maximum short burst propulsion and combined agility and athletisism,

pedigree0003.jpg

the delicate curve over the loin is effectively the coiling spring that first flexes then extends to it's maximum potential to propel your dog forward

pedigree0010.jpg

pedigree0009.jpg

at full stretch a dog with correct standing topline will acheive an almost straight back

pedigree0008.jpg

this is why the long flat backs that some seem to strive for is risking the future structural health of our whippets, rediculous over long loins can go way beyond straight at full extension, becoming almost concave in points along the back, which seriously increases the risk of disc damage and ultimately paralysis. flat backs are also less able to absorb the shock of even light concussive exercise, so as a dog heads into old age mobility is more likely to be affected by arthritis.

all that aside, i don't know about anyone else but i simply think a curvy whippet is altogether prettier :wub:

pedigree0007.jpg

Great post Beaker, lovely pics of curvy whippets :D and flat out whippets :D :D

think of the whippets topline as a series of elegant curves and think about why these curves are necessary for maximum short burst propulsion and combined agility and athletisism,
pedigree0003.jpg

the delicate curve over the loin is effectively the coiling spring that first flexes then extends to it's maximum potential to propel your dog forward

pedigree0010.jpg

pedigree0009.jpg

at full stretch a dog with correct standing topline will acheive an almost straight back

pedigree0008.jpg

this is why the long flat backs that some seem to strive for is risking the future structural health of our whippets, rediculous over long loins can go way beyond straight at full extension, becoming almost concave in points along the back, which seriously increases the risk of disc damage and ultimately paralysis. flat backs are also less able to absorb the shock of even light concussive exercise, so as a dog heads into old age mobility is more likely to be affected by arthritis.

all that aside, i don't know about anyone else but i simply think a curvy whippet is altogether prettier :wub:

pedigree0007.jpg
Thanks for this great reply to my original question on this topic. Your explanation on the curves not ONLY being more attractive, but also making sense for structural and athletic reasons makes perfect sense. Lorna

I like a curvy whippet myself, I find many of the show dogs of today have backs that are too flat for my liking. Bust then I am not a breeder or a judge. The topline and shape and size of the whippet in the showring has definately changed in the last 50 years.

I like a curvy whippet myself, I find many of the show dogs of today have backs that are too flat for my liking. Bust then I am not a breeder or a judge. The topline and shape and size of the whippet in the showring has definately changed in the last 50 years.
That is how long I have been connected with whippets, 50 years, the first whippet to join the pointers was Shalfleet Dovetail, by Ch Wingedfoot Marksman of Allways out of Wingedfoot Bartette who was by Bartsia. I am always loathe to join in discussions regarding whippets past and present because times change but we should always remember that a whippet was not originally bred to trot up and down a showring, he was bred for a purpose and we should never, ever forget that.

Jenny

That is how long I have been connected with whippets, 50 years, the first whippet to join the pointers was Shalfleet Dovetail, by Ch Wingedfoot Marksman of Allways out of Wingedfoot Bartette who was by Bartsia. I am always loathe to join in discussions regarding whippets past and present because times change but we should always remember that a whippet was not originally bred to trot up and down a showring, he was bred for a purpose and we should never, ever forget that.

Jenny
I quite agree, how anyone can say todays whippets in the ring are too flat?????? What have they been looking at. Go onto Pauline Olivers site and look at all the photos of show whippets, flat, I don't think so.

They have changed over the years, also the way of showing has changed, I too have been involved with them for 50 years, my first introduction was an Always bitch.

As you so righty say Jenny, they were bred for a purpose, I show and race mine. You can do agility or lure coursing, they are very verstile. There is more to a whippet that just the show ring.

Look at all the working whippets we have, doing the job they were bred for.

My ideal looking whippet is Nutshell of Nevidith Classic lines and curves in all the right places, stunning :wub:

My ideal looking whippet is Nutshell of Nevidith Classic lines and curves in all the right places, stunning :wub:
Do you not think there are any whippets in the ring today then that are the same shape and series of curves?

Do you not think there are any whippets in the ring today then that are the same shape and series of curves?
course there are, there are some really fab whippets in the ring today,

i would personally like a little bit more deffinition and clarity to certain areas of the written breed standard because unfortunately "somewhat long" in a few cases, has been interpreted as "conciderably long" and resulted in back weakness

i like length to only slightly exceed height TTS, and would like a similar term used in the standard, if detailed terms were used then less confusion might occur

dogs have been referred to as having "lovely length" when they are over long and weak

pedigree0011.jpg

The new or should I say "improved" standard was endlessly discussed by all the whippet clubs. I don't think personally it has helped, a lot of it is not clear.

There are plenty of curvy correct whippets in the ring, but U agree with you there are some over long, over long in body and over long in hind quarter. These whippets cannot move at the correct speed, they have to be raced round the ring because they cannot get their hind legs far enough underneath them to get proper propulsion, they drag them selves along by their front legs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back