The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet with fear of driving

dippy whippy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our whippet shakes and pants when we place her in the back seat during a car journey. This started soon after an incident when we were rear ended (nobody hurt, but it was an awful shake and noise).

Does any body have any suggestions for making her happier in the car?

Two things - baby steps to get her used to the car again (super treat near the car, in the car with engine off, engine on but not moving, 20 feet down the drive etc.) Be prepared to have to go backwards if she is getting stressed. The second suggestion - I haven't used this myself - but I have been reading very positive reviews of Bach Rescue Remedy for pets. It is a natural flower based potion that has a calming effect. If anyone has experience of this, good or bad, I'd be really interested.

Joanne is spot on with the softly softly approach. I have in the past simply just sat in the back of the car with the engine off with the dog . I have also fed the dog her dinner in the car. Of course this is a whole different situation to regular car training and I expect it will take a while to get to the point where the dog is confident again. Goodness knows it's hard enough for a human to get over a prang sometimes.

I have used rescue remedy in the past ,both for myself and my dogs and it does help but I would really recommend Dorwest's organic valerian compound which I have found to be far more effective for really stressful situations like fireworks and trips to the vet. I give it with a syringe an hour before the stressful event.

Hi there,

Whippets are quite sensitive and so try and be patient : ) You can cover her with a blanket, it will make her comfy and less aware of her surroundings. Gentle music and possibly treats will help which you can gradually reduce in quantity, but remember to be patient so the experience doesn't become negative overall.

Let me know how you get on!

EmmanuelleChaix

Top dog company in London

www.EmmanuelleChaix.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all with your suggestions. We will try the slowly approach now - maybe the car harness worn in the house for a bit. Also, we will try the Bach Rescue remedy for pets. I will post when we have some experience with that.

Good idea to use the car harness in the house, I like it! Come back and tell us how you get on.

Lots of good advice above. You could take a favourite bed and toy. Do go really slowly with her. Just baby steps.

My rescue dog hated the car. He came from Romania and so would have travelled, with his very fearful mum, for long distances. He hates the rear door slamming. We have found that opening a front door and gently closing the rear door helps with the vacuum effect on him.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back