The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet?

MANGOZE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my name is Michele.

I read an earlier post that had a similar question but here we go, since I think mine is a little different...

I found this forum after someone made a comment that my 5 year old dog looked remarkably like a Whippet (I thought she was a  boxer mix).

I will gladly submit a photo in the next couple of days to show my dog if it would help.

Some qualities about my dog are she runs REALLY fast, she has the body of a greyhound but a long snout.  She can jump 2-3 foot bushes with no problem.

She's extremely nervous at times and gets cold easily (she sleeps under the covers with me and hubby).

We got her from Animal Rescue league where she was rescued from an abusive family at 3 months old.  They said she was a lab mix and later during obedience training (she only learns from positive reinforcement) that she could be part boxer/greyhound but definitely not lab (same rescue league).

I'm curious if there is anything that could help me determine the accurate breed of dog that I have.  I'm not too concerned but would like a more accurate idea than calling her a mutt (she's my baby).

Any links to sites or breeders in the Pittsburgh, PA area that could give me help would be much appreciated!

Michele :eek: )

Hi Michele

I think I know the post you referd to as I was the one to break the bad news?

unfortunatly with getting your dog from a rescue center you will never know the true breeding of your dog, its obviouse from your post that you love your dog so at the end of the day are you realy botherd and if it makes you feel better to say its got a bit of whippet in it well its not going to harm any one is it?

but its suprising when watching a rescue programme in the Uk how often they say whippet/greyhound cross when it looks nothing like either, but the best thing to do is to just enjoy it and it can be what ever you want it to be!

Hi Michele

Posting a photo would be a really good idea. There are quite a few whippet crosses about and it would be good fun to guess what breeds are behind your dog even though I guess you will never know for sure.

There is a pet dog magazine in this country that has a photograph of a cross breed every month and runs a competition to guess what the cross is. Its actually quite hard. I can usually guess what one of the breeds is but quite often get the other one wrong.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back