The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets And Protein

ducklingpurple

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi folks,

I just found this discussion board this morning, and I'm so glad I did. :D

I have a 2 1/2 year old male whippet. He belonged to an old man who died, and we agreed to look after him. He is beautiful and so well behaved. Anyway, he has been eating dried food, but someone mentioned to me you have to be careful of the amount of protein a whippet eats. Is this right? And if so how much is he allowed? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really help you because I'm a novice whip-owner myself but just thought I'd say hi and welcome. What's your whippet called and do have any photos?? :wub:

My pup Josie is 4 and a half months, I feed her on Burns complete food and also raw minced beef/turkey/lamb/ a bit of fish, oh and our new experiment [SIZE=14pt]chicken wings[/SIZE]! Am thinking of going the whole hog with BARF and starting to whizz veggies in the liquidizer too as she loves the raw meat and is starting to seperate it from the Burns, scoffing the meat and leaving the Burns :angry:

Helen :thumbsup:

:D Hello Welcome to K9 :p

Sorry - not much help on the protein thing either other than I know that older dogs should have a reduced level than that of active/working dogs.

Like your purple duck avatar :lol:

Helena said:
I can't really help you because I'm a novice whip-owner myself but just thought I'd say hi and welcome. What's your whippet called and do have any photos?? :wub:
My pup Josie is 4 and a half months, I feed her on Burns complete food and also raw minced beef/turkey/lamb/ a bit of fish, oh and our new experiment [SIZE=14pt]chicken wings[/SIZE]! Am thinking of going the whole hog with BARF and starting to whizz veggies in the liquidizer too as she loves the raw meat and is starting to seperate it from the Burns, scoffing the meat and leaving the Burns :angry:

Hi! and welcome to K9, I got my pups a couple of weeks later than planned because they had a bit of a bad reaction to a puppy complete food which was very high in protein, the vet picked up on this and they were taken off it and are fine now it just set them back a bit at the time.

I read a few things about this and I think what it is, if you over protein a dog for a long period of time, say with a high protein complete food plus other high protein foods such as meats and such, in the short term it can make them hyper and loose toilet :x therefor going straight through and the dog not getting the nutrients it needs, but more importantley in the long term it can have an effect on internal organs such as liver and kidneys, but I think you would need to give a very high protein diet for a long time for this to happen.

Take a look at some of the threads on feeding you will get plenty of tips

Helen, raw :unsure: I cook mine(not the chicken wings),I think I am spoiling them two too much, is it better raw?I usally feed minced chicken/lamb/fish with biscuit, sometimes nature diet if at caravan

:thumbsup: feed it vitalin royal or gold 18% with raw veg or you can had sardines you wont go wrong. :cheers:

Hi everyone (my first post),

Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this query.

I have two whippets, a bitch (Tally) who is 8 months old, and a dog (Buddy) who is 3 years old. I feed both of them James Wellbeloved Puppy/Performance but reading some of the posts here about the effects of too much protein on whippets, I am bit concerned that they may be at risk of this.

They are taken out for walks every day, for around an hour, during which time they get plenty of lead walking on the pavement, and plenty of running round on open ground as well. They both look lean and well toned, but I obviously don’t want to be taking any chances with their health in the long term.

Do you think I should change the older one to Adult food, or am I worrying about nothing?

Your views will be gladly received

Jayne :thumbsup:

Hi and Welcome to K9. :cheers:

I feed both mine now on the BARF diet, after seeing all the good advice on K9 - and my dogs love it. :thumbsup:

They have a biscuit mixer too with the raw meat. Chicken, beef, lamb and of course TRIPE, along with veggies and treats too.

I always think complete foods look really boring and I personally wouldnt feed it.

Helen, where do you buy your raw minced beef/turkey/lamb, do you have to freeze it then defrost it??

I just feed my dogs, Tilly 11months and Bean 11 weeks, greyhound dry dog food....some raw eggs not bean though, scrambled egg, tuna, and pasta

It is adviseable to freeze all meat first defrost then feed. :thumbsup:

Janimal said:

Brill :thumbsup: but where would you buy it, or do you give them the stuff from tescos? or the butchers or do they sell it at the pet shop?

There is a good thread going in Den Discussions Dogs on a similar topic at the moment.

I buy mine in packs in the freezer, from Pets at Home - but I know there is a local supplier nearer to me (must check it out)

and also cheap bags of beef mince from the supermarket too.

*Lesley* said:
Helena said:

Hi! and welcome to K9, I got my pups a couple of weeks later than planned because they had a bit of a bad reaction to a puppy complete food which was very high in protein, the vet picked up on this and they were taken off it and are fine now it just set them back a bit at the time.

I read a few things about this and I think what it is, if you over protein a dog for a long period of time, say with a high protein complete food plus other high protein foods such as meats and such, in the short term it can make them hyper and loose toilet :x therefor going straight through and the dog not getting the nutrients it needs, but more importantley in the long term it can have an effect on internal organs such as liver and kidneys, but I think you would need to give a very high protein diet for a long time for this to happen.

Take a look at some of the threads on feeding you will get plenty of tips

Helen, raw :unsure: I cook mine(not the chicken wings),I think I am spoiling them two too much, is it better raw?I usally feed minced chicken/lamb/fish with biscuit, sometimes nature diet if at caravan

Welcome to K9 JaynieMitch :cheers:

Seems like my post on this thread was an age ago (w00t) I now feed mine raw with veggies and rice or pasta :thumbsup:

Kim do you have a farm shop or large butchers near you they may be able to do it for you, pet mince, have a word with them because some do and some don't :thumbsup:

Most bigger pet shops also sell blocks or bags of freeflow minced chicken/beef/lamb ect

Obviously if you are giving your whippets the Ultra High Performance Greyhound Formula, then you would be giving your dog too much protein, but apart from that and if they are exercised regular, then i cant see any problem.

Diet is a very varied thing and you should do what feels right for your dogs and you. I know on here people suggest things, but i have a 55 mile round trip for blinking freeflow pet mince/tripe and stuff like that!!

I buy Tesco Value meat (mince and chicken), sardines and tins of Butchers Tripe, pasta, brown rice, goats milk and Weetabix on top of Red Mills Racer, Wafcol Maintenance and Australian Formula.

Its funny, we fanny around with our dogs food, carefully weighing it, giving supplements, bonemeal, electrolites, Plaque Off, sunflower oil and owt else, striiping chickens, adding stock, chopping veggies :sweating: then i cant be bothered cooking for the family so we end up with egg n chips :- "

Kim and Tilly said:
Janimal said:

Brill :thumbsup: but where would you buy it, or do you give them the stuff from tescos? or the butchers or do they sell it at the pet shop?

Hi Kim,

Chloe started the BARF diet in December and 6 weeks on, she has never looked better. Her itchy, scurffy skin has cleared up and her coat is really glossy. When i was looking for a supplier of frozen dog meats i did a search on google. There are loads across the country and im sure you will find one close by. Many also do delivery. We bought a freezer out of the paper for £25 and that's now in the garage full of meat for dogs! It's loads cheaper than buying from Tesco's etc. I found a local butcher who lets me have chicken wings cheap. I had to ask at a few before i found one though. He also lets me have various other bits and pieces. The majority of the stuff i get from the place i found on the internet. She has Laughing Dog biscuit and vegetables and fruit too.

I use to feed her on complete food, Pedigree and also James Wellbeloved. This new diet is working out cheaper and she looks better on it too.

jayneymitch said:
Hi everyone (my first post),
Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this query.

I have two whippets, a bitch (Tally) who is 8 months old, and a dog (Buddy) who is 3 years old.  I feed both of them James Wellbeloved Puppy/Performance but reading some of the posts here about the effects of too much protein on whippets, I am bit concerned that they may be at risk of this.

They are taken out for walks every day, for around an hour, during which time they get plenty of lead walking on the pavement, and plenty of running round on open ground as well.  They both look lean and well toned, but I obviously don’t want to be taking any chances with their health in the long term.

Do you think I should change the older one to Adult food, or am I worrying about nothing?

Your views will be gladly received

Jayne  :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

I personally feed a complete dry food with raw chicken wings for breakfast and raw fruit & veg for tea and I find that if the protein in the complete is under 20% for the adults that suits fine.The pups are on a slightly higher level but once 1yr old will be on the same as the adults ;) James Wellbeloved is a good quality premium extruded food ,very similar to what we feed ours.We have NO problems at all. The only thing I would be inclined to do if they were my dogs,is put your older dog onto the adult food. :))

Welcome to K9 Jayne.

Can't advise on the protein query, but after trying loads of different complete foods my dogs would only eat them if really hungry. Tried the bakers and they pick all the nice soft meaty pieces out and leave the rest.

I now feed my whippet on raw meat. Her absolute favourite is chicken wings with a little mixer, I get them from Sainsburys, 10 or 11 in a pack for £1.03. This works out very cheap, she will eat 4 every day. I was a bit unsure about her eating the wing bones though, afraid a piece of bone might do her insides damage so to be on the safe side I always cut through the bones with kitchen scissors so i know she won't be swallowing big bits.

Used to buy the blocks of minced chicken or beef but she went off those but does like the raw tripe one.The tripe is pretty digusting stuff to us, smells awful but they love it.

Alf my JRT is not so fond of raw meat, so he gets cooked meat and veggies with mixer.

Both my two look well on their diets so I must be doing something right. :)

hi

i am a full blown barfer and if anyone would have said that this time last year i would have said they were barking mad!...its the best thing since sliced bread! (w00t)

~whitecross whippets~ said:
hii am a full blown barfer and if anyone would have said that this time last year i would have said they were barking mad!...its the best thing since sliced bread! (w00t)

Have to agree, I would not have even thought of feeding raw meat had it not been for all the good advice on K9. I'v learnt so much from the many experienced whippet owners on here. :thumbsup:

i have had kass on raw meat/bones and wholewheat bisc for a month now and i have seen a marked improvement the pup is on nutro puppy and cooked chick and beef and will go raw

at 6 month

best way with any complete is check the ingredients the 1st is the biggest and also look at the meat % i am becoming a bit of freak in the supermarket/pet shop = "pedigree pouch animal derivatives and 4% meat 96% crap" animal derivatives consist of heads, feet, guts, lungs, feathers, hair, wool

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back