The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets In The Falklands Islands

kiskutya

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm pleased to announce the safe arrival (in time for the 25th Anniversary Memorial Services to mark the Falklands Conflict) of 'Nambe' in the Falkland Islands.

Getting him there involved a 4 week journey by MOD container ship during which time he weedled his way (and his bed) onto the bridge and also managed to spend each night in a different crew members cabin! The stories of him 'misappropriating' items (including an Iranian flag) into his bed have kept us amused.

He is the first and only Whippet in the Falklands.

huh? sounds like there's quite a story here, please tell us more.

Linda

The only way to get animals to the Falklands is by MOD container ship - no MOD flights take pets as the holds aren't pressurised and all flights carrying personnel from UK fly out of Brize Norton so ship was the only way to get him there. As the journey involves 4 weeks at sea (longer if bad weather) any animal granted approval for import into Falkland Islands 'joins the crew' and lives alongside them for the entire journey. 'Nambe' was lucky in that he had another puppy and a cat on the ship. Minimum age for shipping is 4 months however 6 months old is preferred so he was 6 months old when he went.

aww have you got any photos of his journey ? I'm sure he made that long journey much more bearable for the crew, bet they didn't want to part with him when they docked :D

Wow...can we hope to see photos of said whippet with some Falkland Island scenery?. That will be a first. :)

I'm pleased all went well with the journey :thumbsup:

Wow you must be thrilled to have him now, :huggles:

Love to see some photos :thumbsup:

I have lots of lovely photos but am not sure how to post them - sorry

kiskutya said:
Well, you can read the instructions in the HELP section, here is the link

posting pix

or you can email me some and i post them for you :)

tazaris@optusnet.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back