The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets & Kids

pinky

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi, i'm after a puppy, someone said a wippet would be best ,as i have 3 children and they never attack and bite, is this correct,thanks new user.

Welcome to K9 Pinky :cheers: I think you need to have a good read of the forum especially the FAQ section you will find lots of useful info on there, so you can make a more informed decision.

There is a lot more to whippet ownership than wanting a dog which is non aggressive, no dog can ever be garaunteed 100% to never attack and bite they are still a dog after all, they still have their own personality.......... and teeth, even whippets have to brought up properly to be the wonderful breed that they are :huggles:

Good luck :luck:

No dog , what ever breed , should EVER be left alone with a child .

If a child was to accidently tread on the dog and the dog objected who would get the blame ? yep , the dog ,unless they was an adult there to see it .

Whippets do make the most wonderful pets , but all animals need respect . how old are your children . may I ask :cheers:

*Lesley* said:
Welcome to K9 Pinky :cheers: I think you need to have a good read of the forum especially the FAQ section you will find lots of useful info on there, so you can make a more informed decision.
There is a lot more to whippet ownership than wanting a dog which is non aggressive, no dog can ever be garaunteed 100% to never attack and bite they are still a dog after all, they still have their own personality.......... and teeth, even whippets have to brought up properly to be the wonderful breed that they are :huggles:

Good luck  :luck:

thanks lesley i will read FAQ if i can find it ,this is all very new to me

JAX said:
No dog , what ever breed , should EVER be left alone with a child .
If a child was to accidently tread on the dog and the dog objected who would get the blame ? yep , the dog ,unless they was an adult there to see it .

Whippets do make the most wonderful pets , but all animals need respect . how old are your children . may I ask  :cheers:

hi jax they are 12,9and 4 ,i do realise that no dog is 100% safe just wanted to find best dog for us ,and wippets seem so adorable

pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

There you go Pinky just click on the link :thumbsup:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=55

*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

thanks again lesley we want to be a forever home so are making sure a wippet is right for us.If we dicide on one,would you recommend a boy or girl

pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

thanks again lesley we want to be a forever home so are making sure a wippet is right for us.If we dicide on one,would you recommend a boy or girl

I have both and both are as lovely I suppose the main consideration would be seasons, boys are easier in that respect because they are practically the same all year round, where as bitches seasons can mean you have to accomodate for the fact that you have to watch them like a hawk and also it makes taking them out during that time near on impossible for fear of accident,sometimes twice a year for pretty much a month each time ,but if you don't mind working round that its well worth it :huggles:

Are you looking for a whippet as a pet only or have you anything in mind showing/racing/working?

As you are aware, no dog can be trusted 100% with a child.

I have a 2 year old son, 2 Whippets and also a Dobermann. They all get on brilliantly together. My son has been brought up to respect the dogs and treat them correctly. They love him to bits (particularly as he's a good food source :lol: ). Obviously i wouldn't leave him on his own with them.

It's all about educating your children about how to care for and treat the dog. If you're sensible (which im sure you are) this shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

Whippets are a wonderful breed, with lovely natures.

*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

[/quo

I have both and both are as lovely I suppose the main consideration would be seasons, boys are easier in that respect because they are practically the same all year round, where as bitches seasons can mean you have to accomodate for the fact that you have to watch them like a hawk and also it makes taking them out during that time near on impossible for fear of accident,sometimes twice a year for pretty much a month each time ,but if you don't mind working round that its well worth it :huggles:

Are you looking for a whippet as a pet only or have you anything in mind showing/racing/working?

As a family pet ,we have been interested in whippets for about 9 months now, and contacted Mrs Jones at whippet rescue for information about re homing, but there is such a long waiting list and we are not sure if buying one from a internet puppy site is the way to go, but finding a breeder with pups seems impossible. that why i thought chatting on k9 might help

also you have to consider if your at home most of the time , whippets are so destructive as puppies when left on their own (w00t)

well thats what i have found anyway :oops:

I think most has been said re: dogs/children.

As long as anyone remembers : no puppy whatever the breed is a TOY for a child.

Absolute respect MUST be taught from the offset regarding children & animals.

If a child torments & teases DONT blame a pup/dog if it retaliates.

Do not buy a pup to "keep the kids quiet"

Ask yourself: if you have a number of children do you have the time to devote to a puppy??

pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

[/quo

As a family pet ,we have been interested in whippets for about 9 months now, and contacted Mrs Jones at whippet rescue for information about re homing, but there is such a long waiting list and we are not sure if buying one from a internet puppy site is the way to go, but finding a breeder with pups seems impossible. that why i thought chatting on k9 might help

Just keep looking on the board Pinky, lots of people have their lovely whippets through K9, in the meantime just keep reading the info so you'll be totally prepared for when a whippet takes over your life :D

*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:
pinky said:
*Lesley* said:

[/quo

Just keep looking on the board Pinky, lots of people have their lovely whippets through K9, in the meantime just keep reading the info so you'll be totally prepared for when a whippet takes over your life :D

you got it spot on there lesley WHEN A WHIPPET TAKES OVER YOUR LIFE (w00t)

as i have 3 children and they never attack and bite,
I love children that don't bite or attack :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist. :b

Welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

Mark Roberts said:
as i have 3 children and they never attack and bite,
I love children that don't bite or attack :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist. :b

Welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

Hee hee, I noticed that :clown:

Speaking from a person who has a whippet who HAS snapped at a child before, you must be very careful. As mentioned in other posts, don't leave the kids alone and don't let them tease the dog, no matter how placid the dog seems.

I am sure if you bring a pup up with the kids you will have no problem. I have no children, which may explain why Lenny thinks they are aliens :lol:

I would say whippets are a good choice :thumbsup:

I dont think it matters if you have 3 children or 33 (w00t) as long as they repesect the puppy and give it plenty of quiet when it needs to sleep etc

At 12 and 9 years they are old enough to do this , a 4 year old is old enough to learn . Ive no problem letting my puppies go to homes whose children interact well with my whippets . Having them come to my house and see how they are around the `gang ` gives me a good indication of wether the children are obedient and respectful of both elders and dogs alike :cheers:

Im sure we can help you find a suitable puppy on here , no need to go via various websites :cheers: :- "

and welcome to K9

jackie and the MULCAIR whippets :cheers:

Hi. i have two kids ages 4yrs and 16 months and two dogs, a whippet x beddlington and a whippet. both are great with the kids, especially Sindy the whippet. obviously there are house rules, no kids in the dogs beds, no messing about when the dogs are eating etc all common sense. the kids are never left alone with the dogs and we try to encourage our eldest to participate in the dogs care, such as grooming, feeding, picking up poo on walks etc. we are now considering taking on a third whippet from the same lady that we had Sindy from :- " .

i have to admit that i have taken both of my dogs on when they were older as puppies are really, really hard work and require a lot of time and attention. i am very lucky that i am a stay at home mum so my dogs are left very little and walked quite alot, but i still feel that a puppy would be too much at the moment.

anyway, good luck :thumbsup: in making your decision and in your search for a dog, but be warned, whippets are addictive !! :D

We got our whippet puppy for my daughters 9 th b.day, (18 mths ago) and around the same time a whole lot of other families got a variety of breeds of dog, it's like Crufts at home time at the school :blink:

I may be biased, but I've owned a golden cocker spaniel (with a nasty streak)before and our whippet is an angel compared to a lot of dogs I've seen.....you could share a bone with her and she wouldn't growl....prob because she's not very food obsessed.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the dogs are banned from school as, in fairness to the dogs it's not the ideal place to be hanging around with excitable kids of all ages hopping about and wanting to stroke them all :(

You know more parents should teach their kids to ask before approaching any dog no matter how cute it looks.

:luck: with your search, there are a few young dogs on here looking for new homes and they'll be housetrained for you :D

Hi - welcome to K9

I was recently looking for another whippet and found that K9 was a great place not only to find a dog but also to get help and advice when I got her... so I would base your search here and you wont go far wrong...

I volunteer in an animal sanctuary and rescue whippets can tend to be few and far between - usually because they do make such good pets and people rarely bring them back for 'behaviour' reasons...

I agree with all the points re: children and dogs.. that said - Daniel quite often comes with us on charity events as he has got such a good temperament (and children love his soft coat). That said, all dogs are like people and personalities can range dramatically... best thing to do is just move fairly slowly, most people would be happy to do a few meet and greets prior to letting the dog go so you can see how they all get along...

However, I do have a few words of caution:

1) do not grow accustomed to your slippers - more often than not you WILL find 1 is missing and it will invariably appear half buried in the garden

2) be vigilant re: food - DO not leave any lying around - whippets are known for their 'thief' like nature when it comes to grub (Daniel has a particular fondness for cake whilst Grace prefers biscuits...)

3) get a big bed! We have had to invest in a king size and it's still not enough room (how do they start off so small then get so big as the night progresses...?)

4) be prepared to fall madly in love and become a whippet bore like me and my other half...

5) And the golden rule is.... 1 is rarely enough... be warned, whippets are highly addictive..... :D

Most importantly - ensure that you visit K9 regularly and post lots of pics

Good luck in your search

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back