The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets Second Season

michael darrington

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My whippet was due her second season about 3 weeks ago . Both my male dogs showed interest , following her around , trying to lick her , whimpering , and attempting to mount ( all the usual ).

She as before growled and snapped and kept her tail tucked under.

Three weeks on from the boys showing initial interest she still hasn't progressed to her vulva swelling or any signs bleeding.

Both male dogs are still pestering her.

Over the last 3 days though she dosent seem to be able to hold onto her urine and has gone to toilet several times indoors which is VERY unusual for her.

Has anybody else experienced this with their whippets or know what might be causing this ?

Bitches pee more when coming into season to attract a male dog. It can't be very nice for her being pestered by your two male whippets, I hope you keep them apart when she comes in properly!

I know when I had dogs and bitches the dogs would start letting me know things were happening so my bitch would go and stay with friends who had all bitches. Made life much easier.

:luck:

yes i keep them apart as much as possible ( dog gates to every room ).

It just seems that she started to come into season 3 weeks ago ( according to my male dogs interest ) but dosent appear to have progressed any further that was worrying me.

How do you know she is due if she has had only one season? Bitches can cycle anything from 5 months to a year. If she is unusually attractive to the dogs, and peeing more, she could have an urinary infection for which she will need antibiotics so a trip to the vet could be the answer. OTOH, if she really is coming in season, keeping them apart "as much as possible" is simply not good enough for any of them. All three will be stressed, you could have a fight and you are also running the risk of an unplanned pregnancy when the bitch is too young to breed.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

What height are those dog gates.............? Probably nowhere high enough to deter randy dogs :sweating: .

I better clear a few things up before you have me down as an irresponsible owner.

When i say that i keep them apart "as much as possible " , I mean that i am home with them all day so can supervise, apart from taking a shower , popping to the shop etc . It is then that i use the dog gates. The dog gates are actually full size door screens.

:sweating:phew

Last edited by a moderator:
, I mean that i am home with them all day so can supervise,

I do not think people are saying you are irresponsible; maybe just little naive. Bitch in season and 2 male dogs all in one room is not a good idea. The bitch needs to be left in peace, not being pestered by the dogs, which they will do, constantly. The 2 dogs are very likely to have a fight, and once you get it to that stage, they are likely to fight even later on when she is not in season. I have learned the hard way that once 2 dogs had a bad argument; I could never trust them to be left alone together.

Not to mention that all what it takes is few minutes of you not paying attention; maybe answering the door or phone, and you will have a tie.

Listen to experienced people and keep them separated; or even better arrange for the dogs (I would not trust anybody with my bitch in season) to go for 3 weeks holidays. But be careful when they come back, some bitches have been known to conceive well beyond the normal time. I had a litter conceived on the day 19!!! and heard of one mated on the day 28.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back