The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who feeds raw / natural diet?

Vicky

Maid Your Point
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What do you give altogether?

I would usually give Chudleys, Red Mills or Cereal & milk etc for breakfast - what can i give instead of?

Tea they always have meat / fish etc so thats not a prob.

I got a load of chicken wings today from the market, the spaniel wolfed hers down but Ella (thieving whippet from hell) can't figure out what to do with them - she's currently trying to bury one in the dog cage. This is the first bit of food i've seen her with for more than 5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine do have a bit of James Wellbeloved :eek: .....but the rest is raw meat (tripe, beef etc ) chicken legs/wings (which Inca hates, but the others love).....veg, goats milk, eggs etc .....and they seem to do alright :thumbsup: ........

Well the chicken has disappeared so either Gabby has shown her "how to do it" or she's figured it for herself lol

I don't know .....Inca would rather starve than eat raw chicken legs :unsure: She'd even let the others have hers without even a fight :eek: (w00t)

i dont know wether i do the right thing but mine has porridge for breky then for dinner racing food (dry) mixed with butchers tinned, & other days 4 scrambled eggs or tuna mixed with race dry or if we have sunday dinner he will have veggies& meat out of the oven, i think raw is 2 expensive & to much hassle , he seems to do alright in that but i have been told your not suposed to mix meat & dry food together because one is supposed to digest quicker than the other but im just a novice so????

For brekky mine get: raw chicken wings/legs (Oliver) and chickens, turkey legs, lots and lots of chicken wings :D (Claire and Freddie, greyhounds). For tea, they get raw beef mince with pulped raw veg. about 2-3 times a week they get some sort of offal in that too, either liver, kidneys or heart. They love it.

When I can get them, they get raw bones for gnawing on during the day.

Would recommend the book "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymythy Schultze. You can get it from Amazon.

Hope that helps. :)

I don't feed entiely BARF as I feed some plain wheat biscuit as well, which I personally like to do especially in the colder weather.

Mine have scrambled eggs with wheat biscuit in the morning and a chicken wing. Dinner they have a beef and tripe mince with some offal, plus veggies and sometimes sardines or other bits that are around. I use kelp powder as well as garlic & fenugreek tablets every day. Also wheatgerm oil or cod oil on alternate days.

My puppy has porridge last thing made with live jersey milk from a local farm or goats milk if this is unavailable - I wouldn't normally keep them on this but he loves it and has been on anti-biotics recently so figure the live milk is needed.

They also have bit bones about once a week, more in the summer. I think as long as they are getting a varied diet with a certain amount of fresh veggies you can't be going far wrong :D

Also, just a thought, I have recently been careful to ensure I only feed chicken wings from UK - seeing as asian chicken flu has recently jumped to many new species - I don't want to risk it. What do others think?

paul bywater said:
i think raw is 2 expensive & to much hassle , he seems to do alright in that but i have been told your not suposed to mix meat & dry food together because one is supposed to digest quicker than the other but im just a novice so????
Hi, I'm not sure where you've checked out the prices for raw meat Paul,buying it from a pet superstore such as Pets at home or your local pet shop is dearer, than buying it from a wholesale outlet.I buy mine from Albion Meats. A 1 lb block of beef tripe mince is cheaper than 1 tin of butchers tinned,and,goes further.

I find the only hassle involved,is if it hasn't been taken out of the freezer in time to defrost.I actually find opening the plastic wrapper, easier than a tin (w00t) ,but then I am a blonde woman,so maybe it's a woman or blonde thing :- " .

Only taking the **** a bit :lol: .

As for you being a novice, :blink: ,if your dogs are fit and healthy,eat their food and are fine,what's the problem ?

Everybody feeds differently,as long as what you feed agrees with your dog/s,and you are happy,do what you feel is right.I've been told not to mix complete with either another complete,or raw.Because I've mixed up the balance.I've not heard about the difference in time to digest before,this is a new one on me.

Why should it matter, that one food item will take longer for a dog to digest than another.

Peeps will never agree completely over food. At the end of the day,it really only concerns you and your dogs,as long as what you feed,suits you both.Then don't worry.

Lyd

The reason why raw meat and cereals shouldn't be fed together is because, disgestively speaking, they are incompatable and can cause excess acidity and scouring resulting in indigestion. Skin problems, persistant scratching and poor coats are common signs of ill health often caused by this method of feeding.

The same comments could also apply to feeding a complete diet, especially if the protein, fat, starch and vitamin levels are not suitable for the individual dog. The reason why mixing & matching meat, complete foods etc. is considered unwise is because unless you're a nutritionalist its is impossible to determine excatly how much protein, fat etc. your dog is receiving. This is also why supplements should not be added to complete diets in any quantity.

Refer to "The Complete Book of Greyhounds" by Julia Barnes for nutritional requirements of racing greyhounds which is relevant for racing whippys.

Refer to "The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat" by Juliette de Bairacli Levy for further info. It is the 'natural feeding' bible.

Trapper

Hi I'm new to this site. I have a beautiful greyhound and I feed her "natures menu " and "prize choice" mixed into bakers complete and she is doing really well on it and likes to lick the bowl clean !!

:cheers: Welcome to K9 Fina :cheers:

mine have a varied diet of beef mince, chicken with fresh veg and greyhound complete, tripe i can only feed once a week due to smell, plus they have pilchards, tuna with pasta. shepards pie, eggs, and anything else they can get hold off basically... normally the kids dinner.

Iv thought about giving Zeb abit of raw as he does like his weekly bones. But not sure about all the time, (a bit lazy)

Silly question caming up :- "

do you use normal chicken wings from say tescos or do they have to be brought from pet shops.?

Told you silly question.

He does have tinned fish and veggies.

I give mine Oscars complete with cooked mince, pilchards, chicken, veg, rice, scrambled eggs etc (not all at once!), basically anything. :thumbsup: I don't do tripe - can't stand the smell. :x

I always get my meat either from the supermarket or the butcher - I think the butcher is better quality. I donn't buy from pet shops because I personally don't like the quality. My theory is "if I won't eat it why should they". Well okay I'm a vegetarian but the principle is the same! :- "

They go mad for bio yoghurt (apparently settles dodgy tummies) and tomato juice (neutralises the wee a bit so the lawn doesn't die al the time!)

I don't give mine bones - they can't cope but they do get rawhide chews etc.

clairej810 said:
I give mine Oscars complete with cooked mince, pilchards, chicken, veg, rice, scrambled eggs etc (not all at once!), basically anything. :thumbsup:   I don't do tripe - can't stand the smell.  :x
I always get my meat either from the supermarket or the butcher - I think the butcher is better quality.  I donn't buy from pet shops because I personally don't like the quality.  My theory is "if I won't eat it why should they".  Well okay I'm a vegetarian but the principle is the same! :- "

They go mad for bio yoghurt (apparently settles dodgy tummies) and tomato juice (neutralises the wee a bit so the lawn doesn't die al the time!)

I don't give mine bones - they can't cope but they do get rawhide chews etc.

Im proberly going to sound reall stupid know but do you feed them in the bowl like normal food or give them like a rawhide.

sorry, for the questions like to know but around here its a bit of a no go area.

sharron said:
Im proberly going to sound reall stupid know but do you feed them in the bowl like normal food or give them like a rawhide.sorry, for the questions like to know but around here its a bit of a no go area.

All the food, dried, veg, fish meat etc, whatever they are having that meal goes in their bowl, treats like rawhide get given to them and they eat them wherever (usually on my bed! (w00t) ) Does that help?

julieleigh said:
tripe i can only feed once a week due to smell, plus they have pilchards,
thought I'd never get used to the raw meat diet (serving...not eating !) but I can 'do' tripe now and have to say it doesn't stink as much as pilchards :x

We keep it in a lidded plastic container in the fridge so no smell gets out !

The smell just gets out after it's been eaten I'm afraid :- "

I don't give mine raw any-thing now due to all the food scares. They occasionally get a big raw bone to gnaw on, but I ALWAYS freeze it first.

I feed them on 1/2 weetabix with goat's milk for breakfast (they share a digestive biscuit earlier too when we have our tea in bed). At dinner, they have red mills racer. In the week they have a scrambled egg with this, and on the week-end, I buy a 99p pack of minced mutton which goes between 2 for 2-3 days (cooked and mixed with the complete). They have odds and sods and left overs too, but it is an easy diet which has them looking good, not expensive or difficult to feed.

I'm a recent convert to raw, natural diets.

Consists of raw chicken wings every other day, the odd meaty bone from the butcher, minced beef and tripe 2-3 times a week, very lightly cooked chicken/brown rice 2-3 times a week, and about two meals without meat, just greens or carrots (actually managed to get them to eat some minced, green cabbage yesterday for the first time (w00t) . Once a week I give them some cottage cheese and a raw egg too. Thing about adding some brewers yeast once a week too.

I'm still at the experimentation side, but so far so good. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back