The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who Is The Fastest?

avon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Which breed is fastest - the whippet or the greyhound. There is a "discussion" going on in our local pub so I thought I would ask the experts on K9. I say the greyhound and my oh says the whippet - we never agree on anything. :cheers:

I run William (greyhound) and Owen (whippet) together at our local park .It is only a small park and I don't think William can get up to full speed but if Owen runs in a straight line up the field William can easily catch him .If Owen zig zags up the field William can not catch up with him as he cann't turn as quick as the whippet

Now Owen tends to zig zag rather than running straight as William tends to course him and grabs him from behind

I will point out that William and Owen are both show bred and show regulary and neither have ever been racing they are also both big lads William being 30 inches at his shoulder is a lot bigger and heavier then a racing greyhound .Whether the same would apply in racing bred dogs I do not know

William in the park will try and get some of them together today if it stays nice

2005_0611Image0065_2_.JPG

Easy, whippets are quicker at the start,accelerating and do turn far quicker than a grey,but the grey's have the longer legs and on a straight line can outrun a whip.

Glos Whip racing used to let me give my ex-racing greys a run down their track,the length wasn't long enough for the greys,and they used to catch the lure,couldn't get the lure to go fast enough.Bearing in mind also that my grey's were fit,but no-where near racing fit.

Lydia

Last edited by a moderator:
One episode of Breed All About It on Sky had a greyhound and a saluki racing. The greyhound had more speed but the saluki had more stamina and won. Couldn't tell you the distance though. I suspect it would be the same for the whippet as for the saluki. :)

Is there a Saluki culture, like there is here a whippet culture? What do you think of saluki's as dogs? does anyone here have a saluki? they are very beautiful arent they, but I've never met one.

cor. a lot of questions. (w00t)

kitty said:
Is there a Saluki culture, like there is here a whippet culture? What do you think of saluki's as dogs? does anyone here have a saluki? they are very beautiful arent they, but I've never met one.
cor. a lot of questions.  (w00t)

I've only met 2 salukis at Lure coursing and they were gorgeous the owner was nice too :D she told me that on a short distance they didn't really have the speed but if they were chasing something they could go on forever with the amount of stamina they have (w00t)

trophy200501.jpg

so-o-o pretty, that white one!

I ask out of interest and also because, having just got a whippet - she is one year old - I'd like to get her a friend, and wondered about compatibility with saluki's. It's probably a silly question! :x (w00t)

It's not a silly question Kitty but I can't answer that really, but I'm sure someone else will be able to, I personally don't know much about saluki's but the two I mentioned were very nice natured and very quiet(don't know if that applies generally) they are quite large when in the flesh so that would have to be a consideration I think :unsure: and hairy :lol: so unlike a whippet would need grooming ect :thumbsup:

My friend has two salukis that she shows .They are litter sisters Qassa and Qadifa she has been on here but has just moved house so is computer less at the moment.

Her girls live with Trudy who is lurcher mostly greyhound and are best of friends with my whippets they accept my lot in their house they play in the garden and have run free with them.

Saying all this Christine would tell you they are very aloof and will take to some people and not others. Ben handled them both last year as Christine had a motor bike accident and could not show them herself even getting RBIS at a limit show

She also told us they are very stuborn and can be difficult to train As previously said they are very fast with a lot of stamina and can turn very quickly

Qasa is RBIS with Ben and Qadifa with Christine

P8030163.JPG

kitty said:

I ask out of interest and also because, having just got a whippet - she is one year old - I'd like to get her a friend, and wondered  about compatibility with saluki's. It's probably a silly question! :x   (w00t)

Hi ,

My friends for over 30 years had salukis of the Seafleet affix. I was allways around them and over that period of time something was bound to rub off and stick. They are as stated very aloof and think they are God's gift to man, which is wha the Arabs think actually lol. They do have smelly feet but are good with other dogs if briught up with them. One word of warning, they tend to be Escape artist's and will run all day if they get out. A very noble creature and Yes very stubbon and don't think the sofa is for humans if you get one. They will sneak behind you and gradually push you off the sofa until they are comfty, can't blame them rearly he he

Mike

IMO A top class racing whippet would beat a top class greyhound over 40/50 meters after that the greyhound would sail past the whippet

Thanks for those replies about saluki's. they are good looking dogs... and the description of them doesnt sound all that "must rush out and get one" making.

Maybe I will stick with whippets! :D

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
IMO A top class racing whippet would beat a top class greyhound over 40/50 meters after that the greyhound would sail past the whippet

That is exactly what my oh said, looks like I will be eating humble pie and not christmas pie :- "

avon said:
Which breed is fastest - the whippet or the greyhound.  There is a "discussion" going on in our local pub so I thought I would ask the experts on K9.  I say the greyhound and my oh says the whippet - we never agree on anything.  :cheers:

I think you will find that the whippet is the fastest for probably the first 100yds and then the greyhound will pass the whippet but after about 600 yds the whippet will again pass the greyhound as the whippet has a lot more stamina.,

mikadene said:
kitty said:

I ask out of interest and also because, having just got a whippet - she is one year old - I'd like to get her a friend, and wondered  about compatibility with saluki's. It's probably a silly question! :x   (w00t)

Hi ,

My friends for over 30 years had salukis of the Seafleet affix. I was allways around them and over that period of time something was bound to rub off and stick. They are as stated very aloof and think they are God's gift to man, which is wha the Arabs think actually lol. They do have smelly feet but are good with other dogs if briught up with them. One word of warning, they tend to be Escape artist's and will run all day if they get out. A very noble creature and Yes very stubbon and don't think the sofa is for humans if you get one. They will sneak behind you and gradually push you off the sofa until they are comfty, can't blame them rearly he he

Mike

Smelly feet (w00t) :lol:

I ask out of interest and also because, having just got a whippet - she is one year old - I'd like to get her a friend, and wondered about compatibility with saluki's. It's probably a silly question! :x (w00t)

Polly plays with a saluki (caramel sort of colour) in the park and they love each other :wub: - always strain at the leash to get together as soon as the other one is spotted (I always keep the dogs on the leash until I've sussed out who else is in the park).

I'm sure they's be fine living together.

kitty said:
Thanks for those replies about saluki's. they are  good looking dogs... and the description of them doesnt sound  all that "must rush out and  get one" making.

Maybe I will stick with whippets! :D

I live in Dubai, UAE and therefore see plentyu of salukis around. The local salukis tend to be slightly different from the European/US show line- they actually have an air of being bred for 'purpose' about them. ;)

But in general they are very aloof and sensitive dogs - they do have have a mind on their own but at the same time they adore their master.. I wuld say they are difficult - just a wee bit more independent than the greys. Salukis have been bred for thousands of years with one purpose - to hunt 'on their own' therefore to think and be able to make decisions. Eventually cooperate with falcons. They would venture to the deserts and bring the prey back to the beduins-dogs would be missing for few hours and this was the time when they had to rely on their instincts and own mind.

As one local saluki breeder says; there are few differences between saluki and greyhound.

You let saluki and greyhound on the race track/coursing/hunt: saluki will keep himself behind the grey and charge after the lure only after the grey slows down from exhaustion. The endurance is the word for saluki.

There is a big possibility of saluki jumping the fences on the race track instead of midless following of the lure. The hounds for a pack whereby one is after the lure to keep track of it and the others try jumping accross to field to corner the lure. A true hunting instrict instead of chasing.

111saluki_sedert1.JPG

Martina that was really interesting as well as helpful. :thumbsup:

Thankyou for that.

The photographs are stunning, really beautiful. :cheers:

I was reading about the saluki more last night on the internet, and an owner was saying how extremely difficult it was to housetrain the dog. People also say this about Italian Greyhounds. I find it quite fascinating, these kind of differences/characteristics. It really makes a difference to the popularity of the breed, how much they want to please, or how much they dont!!

Here I am stating the obvious :x ..... (w00t)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back