The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who would have thought snails ....

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
1622384662063-113312169.jpg
Would be so interesting. ...
We have a tropical fish tank ....we got the tank last year ..its something we always wanted ...we have 18 neon tetras and 9 small catfish ...we were told we could have had 60 fish but we wanted them to be able to swim freely and have space ...
We decided to buy 4 netrite snails a few weeks ago ...they keep the glass clean ...they are so interesting to watch ...i cannot believe how quickly they move across the tank ....they are Super cleaners too ...you can literally see them cleaning the algea off the glass and the rockery ...
Must admit getting into a routine of weekly water changes was daunting at first but the work is worth it ....

Many years ago I had a tank with two small goldfish and one snail. I called her Elsie because she was the cleaning lady. Being a snail, she wasn't just a lady: in due course we had eggs, then loads of tiny snailets scudding round the tank.

I used to keep tropical fish - they are lovely. Could never get the vegetation to thrive though, so we resorted to plastic plants.

A bit random but I hatched triops many years ago when daughter was going through the dinosaur period( of which I was quite sad when she moved on from..), I had them in a decent tank in the kitchen and found them thoroughly absorbing to watch, amazing little creatures:), but I have to admit the weekly water changes I found quite tiresome, though necessary! Which is why I would never have fish:p:D

Never heard of triops ....the sterbain catfish are fascinating too .....we havent had any fry yet but we also havent lost any fish which is good. .we did have some cherry shrimp but i havent seen any for a while :oops::oops:

Never heard of triops
Triops are kinda like prehistoric shrimp like creatures, 'living fossils', hence having them during the daughters dinosaur phase. They're fascinating to watch and pretty ruthless, have watched the bigger ones taking out and eating the smaller ones!:eek: survival of the fittest in front of your eyes.. talking of eyes they are supposed to have 3 o_O, but I couldn't really see 3, but then I don't always wear my glasses:p. I spent a fair amount of time getting lost in space watching them:oops:, but loved it:D

Is anyone else old enough to remember the adverts for triop eggs, going by the name of Sea Monkeys, in the back of US superhero comics? Apparently they love attention and can easily be trained, like a school of dolphins.... These usually appeared next to an ad for X-ray specs that allow you to see through ladies' dresses...

I have kept Cold water,Tropical and Marine tanks.The Marine's were amazing and well worth the extra work involved in the up keep of the tank.As you have had your tank since last year you don't need to do weekly water changes, once every 4 weeks would be fine.I would get a Pleco as they are great at eating left over food and cleaning the glass they are also a very gentle fish so would be fine with your Neon's.Watch out for the Snails as they can quickly take over your tank:)

Thanks ....the snails have been laying their eggs but the neons have been eating them :D

Is anyone else old enough to remember the adverts for triop eggs, going by the name of Sea Monkeys, in the back of US superhero comics? Apparently they love attention and can easily be trained, like a school of dolphins.... These usually appeared next to an ad for X-ray specs that allow you to see through ladies' dresses...

I remember those! Our neighbour used to work on the Queen Mary and later the Queen Elizabeth, and would bring me various American superhero comics when he came home. The adverts were amazing - huge plastic dinosaurs, fitness exercises that would take you from a 9 stone weakling to a powerful athlete, various lifelike toy guns, and of course Sea Monkeys.

I remember those! Our neighbour used to work on the Queen Mary and later the Queen Elizabeth, and would bring me various American superhero comics when he came home. The adverts were amazing - huge plastic dinosaurs, fitness exercises that would take you from a 9 stone weakling to a powerful athlete, various lifelike toy guns, and of course Sea Monkeys.

All for 99 cents!

Yes, I’m old enough to remember such comics. Unfortunately they were banned at school and could only be read during holidays. However I do remember one boy who’d loosened the floorboards under his bed to stash contraband such as penny bangers. Such fun until the lower part of his bed sank through the floor.

Oh I love to see 'tanks'...they are so soothing to watch. I used to have couple of tropical ones when I was youngster and I've had couple of BIG ones as well as a adult. But no matter how much I'd like to live in a 'Noah's ark'...can't have too many souls to look after.
I never kept any snails in mine, but I did kept few albino frogs....it didn't end up well for them.....they escaped....and I found them too late to able to rescue them :(
I enjoyed breeding fish and had quite success with it too. Maybe I get back to that hobby one day again...though I have to say the water changes were were quite 'brutal' exercise do to when you had to do it with buckets....:rolleyes:

Nice tank! I have 2 tropical tank's and really enjoy keeping them, we also have snails as well great for algae.

The above pic was before we added fish ...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back