The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why 150 Yards?

ive not read most recent post as there,s quite alot now ;)

but to the main question,,,why 150yds,,,,,,,we are in the process of trying to start a new track up here,,,,and trying to find a place ,,,that is flat and can do 150yrd plus 50yrd stopping distance i.e 200yrd track,,,,is proving more difficult than we thought,,,,,but we will get there, traveling to all the parks in th area and phoning council when we find perfect ground

so basically wot iam trying to say is its down to the land ,clubs have or can find,,,2day or in the past,,,which would have played a big part to the distances when whippet racing was formed,,,,,( i think if it was 250+yard tracks,,,,,,i dont think there would be that many clubs,,i think 150 to 175yrds works well --the dogs injoy it and so does the owners,its all fun at the end of the day ) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont see what the problem is about asking questions and indeed questioning how whippet racing is run and has been run. If anybody is that big headed that they think it will always remain the same then god help the sport. Just accept people will always wonder if there is a different way of doing things. If the "old hands" get so het up about people questioning why racing works the way it does, then maybe it is time for a change, and maybe, like it does at newton aycliffe and other clubs, it should be varied to give everyone a chance to see what differences can be made. For me a champion whippet is one that can do everything, not just blast up a track at it's fasetest speed, but one that can weave, sneak throught the pack, fly out of the traps and twist and turn on both a straight and bends track. Just my opinion and it's what we try and train ours to do. Each to their own or it would be a boring world of racing.
chris
i must be big headed then because as far as iam concerned whippet racing will remain as it is. and i would do anything to stop any change even if it did mean me coming back into racing. :angry:

like i said before if your not happy go do something you happy with.

this debate is a load of crap and i will not post again about.

there is no constructive debate ,the origanal whippet 14lb to 28lb was an out and out sprinter it's only because the greyhound as been introduced that they have got bigger and stronger,but thats another sore point. :angry:

Another newby causing comotion . Think he will fit in well lol

Imagine questions e gonna ask when e decides on a dog

Or bitch which ever fastest , god help us !!!!!!!!

Another newby causing comotion . Think he will fit in well lol Imagine questions e gonna ask when e decides on a dog

DONT THINK HE WILL EVER GET A WHIPPET

Another newby causing comotion . Think he will fit in well lol Imagine questions e gonna ask when e decides on a dog

:lol: Don't think he will ever give up on this discussion either, he know's how to go on :wacko: . Clare

:lol: Don't think he will ever give up on this discussion either, he know's how to go on :wacko: . Clare
Think he should change the B in nubain to a P

.................lol !

Think he should change the B in nubain to a P

.................lol !
well am saying nowt lol :blink:

im sure if nubian gets a dog/bitch and it is its fastest over 150yards then nubian will like the 150yds distance :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe , but by time e done his post not enough

Time let in day to walk the dog lol

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back