The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why ?? Anyone Know

JoJess

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone tell us why do some whippets prefer to run down a side ie seeded left/right..... I have asked this question before and no one seems to know ?? :) Does anyone have any ides as to why >?? :p

I have no idea why they do it but when they do its a pain. I had a dog that was a extreme right hand runner and no matter what I tried he just wanted to be on that right hand side to the extent that he even wanted on the right hand side when I was walking the dogs. During a race he would slow down and cut across to the right hand side then start running and he did the same when I walked the dogs. At the end of the race he could be a difficult dog to get off the lure so he must have been giving his all trying to catch it so I just accepted the fact that was the way he was and tried to get his weight right in the hope that he got a trap on the right hand side when I seeded him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i think its the same as left handed and right handed people, its all to do with brain functions and how it grows.

Most people would state they are either right-handed or left-handed. Yet research shows that many people alternate their hand use depending on the task, this could be dogs that don't favor a side or run up the middle.

Then there are certain people who are strongly left-handed or strongly right-handed, these people kick with there stronger side foot first and also have right or left Eye dominance, this could explain right or left hand runners.

But just my opinion

:D great question jojess. im unsure why. i know my own dog whisper whizz was more or less trained from the left hand side it just worked out that way ie the dogs he trained with were right hand runners and now he prefers the left hand side. mickey whizz on the other hand likes the middle but thats where the lure is in a scratch race and as hes rag daft if it was going up any side he wud be on that side. its just a pity that u cannot seed middle? im quite lucky that in the no limits most dogs have a side and im left with the coffin box as some call it lol :lol:

good explanaition denise has come up with there like why r people left handed or right handed? :blink:

is it by any chance a left hand runner on the straights?

:p This is a very difficult understanding why some dogs prefer a side. Take our litter out of Saxon Honey. Who, incidentally, was right hand on straights and wide on the bends. Her off-springs, there are the two bitches both left hands runners and railers, 2 of the dogs are right hand and wide runners and 1 who doesn't need seeding. A wide variation in the whole litter - confused well I am!!! :eek: It must be in the genes. When you start training them on the lure the lure is directly infront of the pup so they are running "middle" then you convert to traps and then they seem to prefer a side. It becomes more obvious when they are racing with other dogs. No matter what you do to try to change them that is their way of racing unfortunately and they can lose yards because of crossing to their favourite side - :(

:D it seems to be left hand runners on the straights prefer rails on bends and right hand runners prefer wide on bends odd isnt it? :wacko:

Mine of course being the exception Carole lol

Neither need seeding on the straights but railers on the bends.

:D SAMSARA WAS A EXTREME RIGHT HAND RUNNER ON THE STRAIGHT & RAN WIDE ON THE BENDS TO INSIDE & OUTSIDE HARE, PALOMA IS A LEFT HAND RUNNER ON STRAIGHT & AND DOES EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE BENDS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE. WHY THEY DO IT IS ANYONES GUESS :D

I think its down to the breeding ---- if you have ever owned a rag dog and trained one they were made to run straight in a lane about a yard wide if they crossed the tapes they were disqualified a lot harder to train then than now!

agree with carol atlanta is right on straights and out side on the bends :D

i was told by a old whippet trainer that it was passed down from the wild side of there ansistes when u see a pack off dogs chase its prey e.g a wolf if the hole pack ran straight and the pray turned it would soon pull away from the pack but if the wolfs at one to the left one to the right and on it up the middle the prey could not turn hence catchin ther meal ( dont no how true it is but it sounds logic to me) :D :D :D (sorry spellin rubbish) :oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back