The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why Do Whippets Shiver

Fast but dim

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'v got a 18 mo old whippet, and today she was "shivering" like mad, despite it being warm. Why do whippets do it?

She's a bit neurotic, so is a sign of nervousness?

My Whippy Alfie 'shivers' usually when he's anticipating going out for a walk, as soon as he hears 'wanna go walks?' the 'shivering' stops :b

I think sometimes 'they just do' which is quite embarrassing when your talking to people and they look all pathetic :blink: when you know for a fact if the same people came to the house they would jump allover them not a shiver in sight (w00t)

My fawn shivered a lot, but the blue didn't. Haven't seen my blue pups shiver yet either! Don't know if the coats are different, does anyone else find this/disagree?

Sharon

Mine shiver ....................... when they are COLD!! Funny that! There is a definite difference between shivering with cold and quivering with excitement/anticipation. Some feel the cold much more and IMO should be rugged up and not left to shiver.

Callie shivers when its nail clipping time,(as soon as I get them out of the draw) don't know why though, although she is a bit of a wuss :wub: :unsure: all the rest just sit there like they are having a manicure :teehee:

My lurcher shivers alot...summer and winter.

She has a lovely soft polar fleece jumper for winter and a lighter t-shirt one for the cooler non winter days. (w00t)

*Lesley* said:
Callie shivers when its nail clipping time,(as soon as I get them out of the draw) don't know why though, although she is a bit of a wuss :wub:   :unsure:   all the rest just sit there like they are having a manicure :teehee:

Evie too, Lesley :p

There are definitely many reasons why Whippets (and other dogs) shiver;

cold, nervousness or excitement/anticipation. I had a great Dane that just loved to chase the cats, but was not allowed to. When she saw a cat she stood there, every muscle in her body tense and she would shiver. When she was young, and not so well trained, she would now and then just not be able to bear it and she would take off after the cat. Fortunatly they always got away. :) I have also seen this excitement shivering in racing greyhounds when they were taken to the track and were waiting for their turn.

Mine only shiver when someone stops us for a chat at the first part of our walk. They do this on perpose so the person says 'Oh I better let you get on your dogs are really cold' Even if it is about 26C :D

Karen said:
Mine only shiver when someone stops us for a chat at the first part of our walk.  They do this on perpose so the person says 'Oh I better let you get on your dogs are really cold'  Even if it is about 26C  :D

Yep :D Mine do exactly the same!

~JO~ said:
Karen said:
Mine only shiver when someone stops us for a chat at the first part of our walk.  They do this on perpose so the person says 'Oh I better let you get on your dogs are really cold'  Even if it is about 26C  :D

Yep :D Mine do exactly the same!

same here!! :lol: :lol: little monkeys... they do the "I'm really sad and cold, she doesn't look after me, you know," routine very well!

Mine shiver when they are together on the sofa whatever the temperature. Out comes the quilt to wrap them up. Then come the sighs of contentment. :lol:

mine shiver,usually when there excited about something,or cold and when wet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back