The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why So Many Injury This Summer

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
sorry but got to say what i think. the track had been rolled to much the ground was a bit bumpy and there is a camber at this track, plus the back wind was a factor, if you beleave the times which i dont/ how can one man stand and clock the dogs. i fill sorry for les because he does everythink he could and loves hes dogs and hes racing. but somethink wasent right with that track the weekend theres a lot more injurys than you know only saying what most people think. see our many are there next week.

so ray along with the 3 years vet school did you also take a course in ground work ?? or was the 3 year course just in farming sanitation you seem to be a expert in s--t !! if you thought the track was so bad why did you run your dogs ?? being such a great dog man
Damn good reply that Yvonne.PMSL :lol:

lol good job am not feeling well would have really lost it (w00t)

sorry but got to say what i think. the track had been rolled to much the ground was a bit bumpy and there is a camber at this track, plus the back wind was a factor, if you beleave the times which i dont/ how can one man stand and clock the dogs. i fill sorry for les because he does everythink he could and loves hes dogs and hes racing. but somethink wasent right with that track the weekend theres a lot more injurys than you know only saying what most people think. see our many are there next week.

so ray along with the 3 years vet school did you also take a course in ground work ?? or was the 3 year course just in farming sanitation you seem to be a expert in s--t !! if you thought the track was so bad why did you run your dogs ?? being such a great dog man, oh as karen said look forward to not seeing you at Poolsbrook again
Cant understand why for some one whos not going to comment. He can say so much lol

must be on the **** again

gary

Last edited by a moderator:
the only problem with poolsbrooke was just not enough rain like all the other tracks up and down the country.

personally it is one of the best track i have raced on :thumbsup:

i stick by what i said dogs today are to fast and on a hard surface like it was at the weekend your bound to get injuries.

my own prada picked up an injury

Out of curiosity in general do racers think their dogs have picked up more muscular injuries this season or bones e.g. knocked up or dislocated toes? I know as soon as the ground gets hard most people are concerned with the finish and I instantly used to think about my dogs feet and wanted as much cushion on the ground as possible but purely from a spectators perspective there doesnt seem to be as many feet injuries or are these just not talked about as much??

I couldnt believe the times this weekend that dogs were consistently running under the 8 second mark and not just the no limit dogs and there was a considerable tail wind so are they running faster then they are capable of or designed for? Like Jac's said earlier the faster the dog the more likely they are to hurt themselves unless your one of the jammy buggers that has a dog that doesnt run to the lure and runs to you! :thumbsup:

the only problem with poolsbrooke was just not enough rain like all the other tracks up and down the country.
personally it is one of the best track i have raced on :thumbsup:

i stick by what i said dogs today are to fast and on a hard surface like it was at the weekend your bound to get injuries.

my own prada picked up an injury

like you i dont think its anything to do with the track if my momory right fed champs were at poolsbrooke and cant remember anyone going on about the track then well only how great it was :rant:

the bwra champs are at the end of a long season of racing when a lot of the dogs running have been up and down the country to weekends of racing where they have pick up little injurys that you have to keep working on to keep them sound for champs !! alot of the dogs are running 2/3 times just for there title never mind the sup run of your really lucky if your dogs come of without a injury,

well hes my 5 min rant i didnnt see any dogs injured on the saturday yes there was on the sunday yes it is unfortunate that it happend but i for 1 wont be blaming the track les and linda have put a bloody hard work into that track and to me it looked preaty good to me they should be getting a pat on the back for all the hard work they have done in a short space of time accidents happen including my own dog that was injured but i would deffinatly run there again some people want to look at some of the tracks they have run on and think how lucky we were to see poolsbrooke track in such good condition keep up the good work les linda and the team ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN AND ALWAYS WILL

ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN AND ALWAYS WILL - Totally agree they are as Gerry says accidents, sadly they do happen. Lets face it dogs get injured racing but also if out free running, at home, in the garden on the beach an accident is just that an accident and can happen anywhere at anytime, devasastating to loving pet owners at anytime, so lets not knock the tracks we run on. The people that run clubs do the best they can and spend many hours of their own time and money trying to make our hobby the best they can. Sunday was just a freak day with so many and hopefully we won't see a day like it again!!!!

We've had champs on Asfordby, Swallownest & Worcester and there were complaints & injuries.

People harp on about getting tracks as flat as possible and we all ask for a championship standard track, this is exactly what we got at weekend, the best by far for a long time. There is no denying the track was running extremely fast, but i didn't think it was too hard, not comparing to some of the tracks running opens this year, the first thing to go when a track's hard is toes, i've heard of just one toe injury from weekend (several including my own dogs at previous champs tracks).

The fact the track was so good and dogs able to get to speeds they haven't been able to reach before plus the wind behind them (which is another theory i've heard) are possible factors but as i've said, we all wanted a track of a high standard and that's exactly what we got at Notts & Derby.

There is absolutely no blame to be laid at anyones doorstep, had the track been bumpy, grass too long/short, too dry/wet there would have been complaints and probably injuries.

None of us really have a clue when it comes to running surfaces, we do our best and get tracks in a condition WE THINK will suit dogs running at high speed and the rest is in the lap of the gods. If we were setting up a new track, Les would be the first person i'd ask for advice. Top GBGB tracks are under inspection at the minute by the board & vets due to the high volume of injuries and fatalities, these are run by people who have a hell of a lot more experience in track preparation than us.

The track looks really good, :thumbsup: perhaps, and this is only a suggestion , if Les leaves the grass on the knock off a bit longer, (not cut as short as the rest of the run up) might be a bit softer to the dogs toes, only a suggestion, but then I'll only get shot down in flames because i haven't been in the sport long, :lol: people are complaining, :- but i haven't heard one person come up with any suggestions as to how something might be made a bit better. :thumbsup: di

wish i had a dog to run on it this week i would,i think the wind played a big part, but here its whippet racing, we go weeks with nothing then a few happens,something was to blame as it dont happen every week thank god, it slightly runs up bank because with those strong winds i think we would have had a few more if had ran slightly down bank.look around you at poolsbrook its wide open from behind the traps its only at the top you have the trees and unfortunately we dont have them behind the traps so the wind was howling...excellent work Les and linda's done on this track and all its members,keep up the good work its well appreciated..this is just my opinion,i aint no weatherman,but i was getting blown all over trying to point my camera at them boxes,so if you a little or a big whippet with 50 miles an hour blowing up your backside its going to do something to the dogs,so pleased the dogs are all ok.thats my little bit added :blink:

anybody that slags poolsbrook of and i mean anybody wants to think hard about the crap thy have run on les and lynda have done wonders with track for along time so friggsy if you dont like it keep well away we do not want the likes of people like you in dog racing :rant: geoff

Trouble is some arsehole will always complain,even if you had the "perfect" track. If you saw how much time and effort Les & Lynda put in , not forgetting enough water on track to fill ladybower dam then you would know that the track couldn't have been any better. Where do you get all your expertise Friggsy, off the internet stateside?

:wub:

As most people know I didn't go to the Champs., this year, due to my bitch coming into season two and a half months early! C**! When I heard about the dogs getting injured I felt really glad I wasn't there to

see it because it's not pleaseant seeing a dog in pain. Having said that, I cannot see how anyone can put the blame, difinitively, on the track, the wind or any other influence. I have seen dogs finish a race and

fall over, with no other dog near it, and its come off lame in varying degrees. It all depends on the way they land, turn while still moving and numerous other factors! the litter sister to the bitch I run at the

moment (Piccolo Amico), when they were 12 months old were dashing about, as pups do and she simply jumped off the setee. But, as she landed, she tried to turn and I heard both bones break from 6 feet away!

It was sickening! Needless to say I had the leg plated and although she can run around perfectly ok in the garden, she is not putting the same pressure on the leg as she would do when racing. I'm not ashamed to say

that I am too frightened to race her, even though she was the faster of the 2 when young, because I am just glad that I still have her! My point is, accidents, and thats what they are, happen, anywhere, anytime no

matter how careful we are. They are beings not machines and they have weaknesses. None of us can tell when one of our babies will get hurt. Personally, every time my dogs run, I am just glad if they come off sound,

winning anything is a bonus! I admire the work and effort that was put into Poolsbrook track and I wouldn't hesitate to run my dogs there again! I would ask everyone to remember that all clubs are run and managed

by volunteers, who enjoy our chosen sport as much as we do! So, Can we all try to be a bit more Sporting in our remarks, when referring to other members of other clubs and certainly on a forum such as this! It does

no ones reputation any good to make nasty comments! It's not neccessary, grow up some of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
:wub:
As most people know I didn't go to the Champs., this year, due to my bitch coming into season two and a half months early! C**! When I heard about the dogs getting injured I felt really glad I wasn't there to

see it because it's not pleaseant seeing a dog in pain. Having said that, I cannot see how anyone can put the blame, difinitively, on the track, the wind or any other influence. I have seen dogs finish a race and

fall over, with no other dog near it, and its come off lame in varying degrees. It all depends on the way they land, turn while still moving and numerous other factors! the litter sister to the bitch I run at the

moment (Piccolo Amico), when they were 12 months old were dashing about, as pups do and she simply jumped off the setee. But, as she landed, she tried to turn and I heard both bones break from 6 feet away!

It was sickening! Needless to say I had the leg plated and although she can run around perfectly ok in the garden, she is not putting the same pressure on the leg as she would do when racing. I'm not ashamed to say

that I am too frightened to race her, even though she was the faster of the 2 when young, because I am just glad that I still have her! My point is, accidents, and thats what they are, happen, anywhere, anytime no

matter how careful we are. They are beings not machines and they have weaknesses. None of us can tell when one of our babies will get hurt. Personally, every time my dogs run, I am just glad if they come off sound,

winning anything is a bonus! I admire the work and effort that was put into Poolsbrook track and I wouldn't hesitate to run my dogs there again! I would ask everyone to remember that all clubs are run and managed

by volunteers, who enjoy our chosen sport as much as we do! So, Can we all try to be a bit more Sporting in our remarks, when referring to other members of other clubs and certainly on a forum such as this! It does

no ones reputation any good to make nasty comments! It's not neccessary, grow up some of you!

Very well said, and so true. :thumbsup:

you only have to read the comments on here regrading the track to see how much time and effort les / linda and all the helpers are putting into the track and long may it continue.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LES/ LINDA AND ALL YOUR HELPERS YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB

PERSONALLY I THINK SOME OF THE INJURIES AT THE WEEKEND (SUNDAY) WAS BECAUSE OF THE BACK WIND MAKING THE DOGS RUN PICK UP MORE SPEED THAN THERE BODY'S COULD COPE WITH

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: dito

the track was as good as you would get the above with a bit of bad luck mixed in (w00t)

tracks are as hard as running on frosty ground at the moment,very dry summer.

just like to say accidents do happen some dogs seem more prone to them than others, once took luke to see tom peppercorn he was passed fit and able to start running as we walked him accross the car park he got something in his pad as a result he needed op on his pad and couldnt race for 6 months another time he had a muscle injury took him to see physio he was treated passed fit and we exersised him took him to the beach where he did another injury and tore his whip muscle so yes accidents do happen it is very unfortunate when it does we raced our max for almost 5 years without injury he did bends and straights.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back