The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wild puppy

Johnbyik77

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I got a border collie when he was 12 weeks old from a farmer who kept him and his siblings in a barn.the first 10 nights he was fine except little accidents witch I expect.the thing is when we go to bed now he as started running around the house knocking things over like vases etc.my question is how long do I keep sleeping downstairs I'm a carer for 83 years dad and I'm exhausted

Do you think this is the zoomies, i.e. he's just having fun? How long does it go on for?

There's no set rule for when dogs can sleep on their own, they're all so individual. What would he do differently if you did leave him and go to your bed? Have you considered letting him sleep in your bedroom, on his own bed or in a crate?

For the time being, it would be best to stow away all vases, shoes, remote controls, etc.

Do you think this is the zoomies, i.e. he's just having fun? How long does it go on for?

There's no set rule for when dogs can sleep on their own, they're all so individual. What would he do differently if you did leave him and go to your bed? Have you considered letting him sleep in your bedroom, on his own bed or in a crate?

For the time being, it would be best to stow away all vases, shoes, remote controls, etc.

For the 1st 10 nights he was fine its only the last 4 nights this as started,we remove all remotes shoes etc but he starts about 8pm zooming jumping up on furniture chewing anything he can(he as loads of toys) but as soon ad I go to bed that's when he really goes up a gear.my question is how long do I sleep downstairs for I don't want him thinking its the norm.

The working /farm collies are very intelligent and need a lot of activity and mental stimulation.
We once had a farm collie to help my husband on the farm to move the cattle. She was his daily companion and shared all daily life both in doors and out. At bedtime she had a nice outdoor bedroom with a large run and a heater for cold nights. When we moved house and into a village we bred a litter of puppies, we used another farm/working collie.
The mating produced a couple chocolate puppies of which we kept one. (this was the colour that we wanted)
This puppy never settled and needed more than we could give her. At the age of about 2, we decided it was best for her to have a new home and a better outdoor life than we could now offer. This worked better for her and she was a far more settled girl. A domestic household life just did not suit this puppy.
Her mother that we had, adjusted to a retired life and was PTS at 14 years of age.

Maybe in the eve you could try some mental stimulation games with him before you go to bed and his mad time begins?(presuming it may not be easy to get him out for a late walk? ) As @excuseme says working collies are incredibly bright, busy dogs and do need a lot of interaction, stimulation and well 'work' of some kind... also is having him in your room at night not an option also as already suggested?
@JudyN is there not a link on here somewhere with mental stimulation type activities??

@JudyN is there not a link on here somewhere with mental stimulation type activities??

Yep, here we are: Mental enrichment for dogs

I would also work on a calm settle:
Puppies can be like overtired toddlers in the evening - it can be difficult to stop them for long enough for them to realise they're tired and finally crash, but this could help. Don't expect fast results though.

Again, as far as when you can sleep upstairs again, it is a 'How long is a piece of string?' question. You probably want to work more on getting him to settle down and sleep at a reasonable time regardless rather than working on separation. For many people, letting the dog sleep in their room really does help, though it doesn't suit everyone.

I got a border collie when he was 12 weeks old from a farmer who kept him and his siblings in a barn.the first 10 nights he was fine except little accidents witch I expect.the thing is when we go to bed now he as started running around the house knocking things over like vases etc.my question is how long do I keep sleeping downstairs I'm a carer for 83 years dad and I'm exhausted
Sorry slow reply, had problems with my pass word.

I wonder if you have considered a crate. We use for sleep in morning sleep session, when younger an hour or so in afternoon and bed time, a true blessing as we have a huge puppy, who is still growing. If you consider this option, you would need to introduce very slowly. Maybe popping a special toy or treat in there and leaving the door open. Very slowly once happy to nosy in and have a sit. Then I would then try shutting door, with something distractive in crate but still around in view. I am no expert but this has worked well with both my last and current high energy large breed dogs. He views it I hope as his lovely space of his own. If you don't like the concept of a crate, you can get a triple or quad stair gate/barrier. This way you can whilst not big enough to jump, control the area your puppy is at bedtime. I use mine for the kitchen sometimes, for safety. With my crate, if I have to pop to shops, I leave a radio on quietly. I also shut the curtains, so he doesn't have stimulation of seeing the birds.

Oops. sorry post reply attached to your message. Sorry I am new to this.

I do not believe in shutting a puppy in a cage for convenience as @Pascalina has suggested for this puppy, it is just so cruel
A working border collie needs good mental stimulation and good quality exercise, they are not bred to be put in a cage!

So sorry, did not wish to offend. I will say we use a crate only for sleep and as soon as he wakes he comes out of crate.

I really am very sorry, it sounds like you have a lot on in life, I truly thought you were just refering to bed time.It sounds like you are a very good person, doing a very good job. So I wish you the very best. Pascalina.

Personally, I think crates can be a very useful tool if used properly, i.e. to encourage a wild puppy to switch off, rest, and have a nap - just as I would ask an overtired dog, or one who is too intent on 'helping' me in the kitchen, to settle down on their bed. If they love their crate, it is just used for when they could reasonably be expected to rest or sleep, and they get plenty of physical and mental stimulation at other times and aren't frustrated by their lack of freedom, then I don't see a problem. We expect young children to nap at certain times, play quietly in their rooms at certain times, sit still in classrooms or waiting rooms, and may put them in playpens for a while so we can get on with stuff...

And if they are used to a crate, it could be invaluable for, e.g., staying in hotels with non-dog-proof rooms, or when they need to be on 'crate rest' after an injury or operation.

Personally, I think crates can be a very useful tool if used properly, i.e. to encourage a wild puppy to switch off, rest, and have a nap - just as I would ask an overtired dog, or one who is too intent on 'helping' me in the kitchen, to settle down on their bed. If they love their crate, it is just used for when they could reasonably be expected to rest or sleep, and they get plenty of physical and mental stimulation at other times and aren't frustrated by their lack of freedom, then I don't see a problem. We expect young children to nap at certain times, play quietly in their rooms at certain times, sit still in classrooms or waiting rooms, and may put them in playpens for a while so we can get on with stuff...

And if they are used to a crate, it could be invaluable for, e.g., staying in hotels with non-dog-proof rooms, or when they need to be on 'crate rest' after an injury or operation.

Yep we have found very useful, we used for our last dog whilst he was a puppy for all his sleeps and yes was invaluable if I had to pop to the shop, albeit I would aim for an errand while he was asleep but would know he was safe. So the same again for Jasper.During the day the door is left open, so he can choose there or his day bed.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back