The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wild whippet puppy

wilcon10

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi sorry for the long post. I have a 12 week old whippet puppy, he's my second one as we lost our lovely boy at 15 last year so I thought I knew what to expect. After last nights biting session I need help please.
My son, in his 20's stayed upstairs all evening because as soon as he gets home from work the puppy flies at his ankles and no amount of distraction toys or anything else will get him to leave. We all keep our shoes on, he has plenty of sleep in his crate throughout the day, he has enrichment toys, games in the garden, short training sessions, rewards for being calm, lots of positivity etc but last night was just too much.
I've read puppy biting and spoken to our dog trainer when we started puppy classes on Tuesday and have tried the suggestions but it gets to the point where I have to grab him as he's hanging off a leg and put him in his playpen to calm down.
He does seem quite nasty at times but most of the time he's wagging his tail. Our other dog as a pup had wild zoomies but not this degree of biting.
Thank you for any suggestions

It may be that you've not tried a particular method consistently enough for long enough. Putting him in his playpen each time is probably a good approach, but should happen the moment the biting starts, every. single. time. Though I prefer an approach which minimises handling, so you might be better with a stairgate on the room you're in so you can lead him rather than pick him up.

Have a read of this article, but do ask if you have any questions: Puppy biting

Thank you Judy and I agree with the consistently for long enough. I'll stick at it

One of my lurchers was a real shark as a pup, but she grew out of it and became a most wonderful dog. So will your whippy! Just saying this to help you through this time.

Thanks, it is helpful when people share their experiences.

Hi sorry for the long post. I have a 12 week old whippet puppy, he's my second one as we lost our lovely boy at 15 last year so I thought I knew what to expect. After last nights biting session I need help please.
My son, in his 20's stayed upstairs all evening because as soon as he gets home from work the puppy flies at his ankles and no amount of distraction toys or anything else will get him to leave. We all keep our shoes on, he has plenty of sleep in his crate throughout the day, he has enrichment toys, games in the garden, short training sessions, rewards for being calm, lots of positivity etc but last night was just too much.
I've read puppy biting and spoken to our dog trainer when we started puppy classes on Tuesday and have tried the suggestions but it gets to the point where I have to grab him as he's hanging off a leg and put him in his playpen to calm down.
He does seem quite nasty at times but most of the time he's wagging his tail. Our other dog as a pup had wild zoomies but not this degree of biting.
Thank you for any suggestions
“…….he has plenty of sleep in his crate throughout the day….” Is he confined to his crate? Is his euphoria a burst of pent up energy? Our whippet (eight in April) displays a mad burst of energy first thing in the morning when let out into the garden for a wee and racing back into the house ignoreing a slippery when wet terrace - she’s had a few skids but doesn’t seem to learn in spite of my trying to calm her. I think JudyN’s suggestion of the playpen is just right. I’m sure he’ll get the message - but he’s still very young.

Sorry - “ignoring”. It’s late and I’m not a spring chicken. Désolé

Hi RGC thanks for your reply.
No, he's not confined to his crate in the day. I'm home all day with him and he goes in every couple of hour/ hour and a half s for about an hour and a half and sleeps straight away. When I open his crate he stretches and will stay there, he never rushes out. He takes himself in it, he's very good with it to say how young he is.
The past two days have been better, we have followed Judy's advice and have left the room as soon as any biting happens. So far so good! It all seems so much calmer.

That’s great news. They’re not known for their intelligence (apologies to all sighthound owners). Well, ours (rescues) were somewhat remedial! Hope it all goes well and your legs remain unscathed. Do you have photos of him?

Tsk! Of course they are intelligent - it's just that when "sighthound" switches on, all else switches off.....

Tsk! Of course they are intelligent - it's just that when "sighthound" switches on, all else switches off....

Oh yes - they understand everything you ask them to do (or not do). They just make up their own mind about whether it's a good idea or not. 'Thanks for the suggestion, but actually.....';)

You should meet Mabel. She’ll be eight in April, we’ve had her for for almost 4yr 3mths and she’s recently learnt to “sit”. Now you higher brains will say that she’s intelligent enough to know all along whether it has been worth it to sit upon request. When we visited a charity shop recently the young lady ant the counter asked if she (Mabel) could have a treat. I agreed but asked the lady to ask M to sit. Unfortunately at times M takes a step backwards and then sits. In this instance, in order to give Mabel the treat, the lady leant right over the counter - an embarrassing somersault followed. However it was a happy episode.

Also their physique makes 'sit' difficult. They can manage as puppies, but as soon as their spines start to lengthen and their hindquarters take on adult shape, it's not ideal for them. Nor is 'down'. Never was there a dog type with so many elbows! (Elbows on their elbows - elbows on their hocks - elbows on their bum cheeks). I taught mine the 'stand' instead.

Reactions: RGC
I take your point, Hemlock. However, she doesn’t need a command to sit as, when we’re eating, she’ll sit and stay in that position. We weren’t really concerned that she wouldn’t sit on request before but it was our neighbour whose patience got Mabel to understand the word “sit”. Before when she came and sat while we were eating we weren’t quick enough to say sit in time. I think in a previous life (we’re her third home) someone tried to get her to sit by pushing her bottom down which probably added to the trauma she brought with her when we adopted her. I’m just glad that there’s some semblance of connection with her. It’s all been a great success and a learning curve for us all.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back