The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Will foot & mouth affect opens

Robin Sweet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was wondering if anybody had given any thought as to how the foot & mouth crisis might affect the forthcoming open season.  The first open is only four weeks away , and if the situation hasn`t improved by then, could it lead to opens being cancelled?  I hope not.

Hi Robin

The info I have at present is that the WCRA have suspended Superstars points in the hope of deterring people from travelling.  Most clubs are not racing, but I'm not sure if it should affect every club.  I suppose even if the club is not near farmland, it does increase the risk of spreading the disease if people are travelling around from different areas.  I spoke to Carol Brown this evening, and she doesn't know yet if East Anglia's open will go ahead.  I'm going to enter and wait and see.  

Taking into account the recent information about the spread of the disease (all the known cases are directly related to known animal movements or are very close to known outbreaks) I think that it would be very silly to start cancelling/postponing opens at this stage - combined with this, the Government are now starting restricted animal movements and sports such as horse racing are starting again soon (Wednesday, I think?).

I know that we all want to be concientious and avoid any risk of spreading the disease and I agree that if the tracks are very close or within a restricted area, then serious thought should be given to if an open should go ahead, but I really think that it is too soon to start cancelling/rearranging fixtures and members of clubs should avoid making any decisions until closer to the dates.

I am sure that all racers would not mind an Open being called off (for example, just a week beforehand) if they were clear about the situation. What/how do other racers feel?

Hi All

The Northern Pedigree Whippet Racing Club are still going ahead with plans for our open on 29th April and entries are now being taken entry forms are available from the secretary on 01706 669120

Gloucester WRC are also still taking entries for their open on 22nd April. Entry forms are with secretaries.

I think clubs will obviously have to abide by MAFF guidlines if they hold meetings on farm land or are within an infected area but I agree with Darcia that there is no point in cancelling meetings until nearer the date.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back