The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Will my dog ever act “normally” around water!

Gemmie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

Probably a shot in the dark but I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice.
I have a now 1 year 3 month Lab/Collie have had her since 8 weeks old. She is an absolutely beautiful girl I’ve never had any issues even as a tiny pup she didn’t chew anything didn’t mess in the house she loves other dogs, recall is amazing her only downfall is she can’t be trusted around water ‍ I take her to Hoopers classes, I take her jogging, we go on hikes together so she’s always stimulated physically and mentally.

I live in Devon uk right on the doorstep of some stunning beaches I enjoying surfing and stand up paddle boarding. Unfortunately Grace cannot be allowed anywhere near the sea as when she gets in the water she bites the water and constantly inhales it, I’m an ex vet nurse so I know the dangers of this hence why she now can’t go near it.
I know that it’s the movement of the water that’s causing this obsession but I don’t know how to get her out of it or even if that’s possible? I’ve tried buying her floaty toys to play with or hold but she’ll ignore them and keep splashing around. I wanted to take her on my stand up paddle board I’ve tried for months but she’ll lean over and continue chomping at the water. It’s extremely frustrating as I can’t even take her to a stream to cool off as she does the same thing and last time she went in a stream she ended up throwing up because of how much water she inhaled.
She doesn’t have these obsessions anywhere else, not with balls, traffic, just around water which is making me really sad I’ve just come back from a week in Cornwall with her and I had to leave her at the house when I went swimming on my own in the sea

Please does anyone have any advice or tips on how to stop this behaviour?

thanks
Gemma

Attachments

• 7299B8C8-CC8B-4F2E-91E8-40455BA29B262022-08-25_18-16-26_047.jpeg
    7299B8C8-CC8B-4F2E-91E8-40455BA29B262022-08-25_18-16-26_047.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
She's beautiful and sounds like she has an amazing life with you:) I haven't got any tips on how to stop this behaviour though sadly, hopefully someone else on here might have some suggestions.

She's beautiful and sounds like she has an amazing life with you:) I haven't got any tips on how to stop this behaviour though sadly, hopefully someone else on here might have some suggestions.

Same as @Flobo, your dog is a gorgeous girl, no doubt, but I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer. As a guess, would she walk along the shoreline at a distance and if calm, rewarded, and your walks perhaps could get a bit nearer each time? As I said, total guess, someone more experienced will be along soon...

As I said, total guess, someone more experienced will be along soon...

Well that's certainly not me, but... maybe if you went for a paddle with Grace on lead, and the moment she showed an interest in inhaling water, you calmly walked her out of the sea. She might realise that the fun stops when she does this, and when she's OK in the shallows, you can move a little further out and start again. Of course, if it gets more exciting, e.g. throwing balls in the water for her, she's going to find it more challenging and you'll have to build up very gradually to that.

It may be that the life you plan for her is not feasible - I think that's the first thing for you to come to terms with.

The bigger concern is where this response to water goes next. It's a stereotypy (repetitive behaviour) that can start to extend to other areas, eg shadow chasing, tail biting, if you aren't careful. I'd also strongly advise against trying to change her behaviour through training, rewards or suppressing it.

If she were with me, I would be thinking about not 'stimulating' her at all, either mentally or physically, if 'stimulating' means a lot of excitement, fast movement and brain effort.
Instead, I would be slowing everything down, taking very calm walks on a long line. No balls , squeaky toys or chasing games, no jogging and certainly no paddle boarding ;)! Just being with her mentally as she explores and processes what she finds.
It is a pernicious myth that all collies and collie crosses need lots of stimulation and exercise. Some do, and many do not benefit from that sort of life at all. Remember that working collies spend a lot of time lying in the yard or sleeping in the back of a Land Rover, between fairly short periods of activity when it is crucial that they 'keep their heads' and act calmly and sensibly.
I think if you take a slower approach, appreciate her for who she is and abandon your expectations, you might be surprised at what you discover. And, after maybe months or years, you might cone across a stream or a lake, and you might find that the relationship you have built up with her means she can investigate it with confidence and curiosity, rather than her current response.
Good luck! She sounds wonderful, and offers you much to learn.

@JudyN, if it isn't OK to say this please delete.

The Facebook group Dog Training Advice and Support is staffed by qualified behaviourists who may be able to help?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back