The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wippet Is Nervous Of People And Noise

jeffmack

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have two ten month old wippets, Jake and Izzy. In the last couple of weeks Jake has become nervous around some people. He used to be fine but something spooked him and for a couple of days he kept going under the chair at home and whinning. He has stopped that but when we have him off lead he is nervous of people nearby. If there are one or two people and they are not talking he will walk past them OK. If they are talking or making any sort of noise or movements he stands well away watching and wont come until they are gone. He is terrified if a group of childeren approach him on or off lead. I have to take him to the other side of the road to stop him shaking.

Any suggestions in how to get him back to being OK with people.

Last edited by a moderator:
aww poor jake :huggles:

my gypsy gets a bit nervous of things sometimes..............a lady with a shopping trolly and wouldnt walk past a tiny puppy the other week, she was trying to pull the other way :wacko:

sounds like you just need to take it slowly with him, i find that if i just ignore her when shes being like this she soon forgets, where as if make a fuss of her, she going to think it IS something to be afraid of (if that makes sense)

sorry not advice really, im sure someone else could help you more

good luck with Jake :luck:

any pic's? :)

Am I right in thinking that he was a rescue? (Seem to remember a prev post?) I'm know that there are many more knowledgeable people here than me but I have found that my dog can be a bit timid with people we meet on walks etc. I largely ignore it so as not to make him think there is anything to be concerned about. If he is showing signs of being nervous then I discourage people from trying to approach him physically or verbally, I will carry on a conversation and usually his curiosity will get the better of him and he will make the first move. I found it similar to when I had my little boy who was very shy so just applied a similar approach and it seems to have worked for me. Wishing you :luck:

You could try having his favourite treat to hand (cheese goes down well with my boy, Blue) and as soon as you see someone appear in the distance give him the treat. He might start associating approaching people with a good thing and be less stressed. Blue didn't seem frightened of approaching people but used to try to dive up at them and if there was a bike coming or another dog would lunge at them and bark and wag his tail - just being friendly but not everyone would see it that way. I've used the 'magic of cheese' to distract him and get his attention on me and the treat at the first sign of a bike in the distance and he's calmed right down with them. I don't have to use the treats very often at all now. Good luck :luck:

PICT0020.jpg

This is Izzy and Jake taking a nap. They have been with us for 7 weeks now and were rescue dogs.

I have tried treats to distract Jake but he wont take them, he is firmly fixed on the people. Even after they pass and we walk on he keeps stopping and looking back.

Hopefully in time he will be ok, only worry is that we are due to take him to training classes next week in a hall, I'm sure he will hate it with all the people and other dogs.

I wonder if you could contact the trainer and see if they could do any one-to-one lessons with you in order to get him more confident before he starts training wtih lots of other dogs and people in a noisy hall. Or your vet might be able to recommend a behaviourist who could help. :thumbsup:

Very best of luck with him :luck: - Jake and Izzy both look like lovely dogs. :huggles:

What gorgeous dogs :wub:

I've had several very nervous rescue dogs over the years, including Sophie, the little whippet x I have at the moment. Seven weeks is very early days I'm sure he will improve.

Mainly I think you just have to be patient and take things slowly. Give him lots of space and don't force him into situations that scare him if you can help it - for instance if you can cross the road or turn a corner to avoid going past a group of noisy children then do it if you possibly can. Make sure you are calm and confident and he sees you as a leader/protector. Just putting yourself in between him and a 'scary' person can help.

As far as training class is concerned I think it depends how understanding the trainer is prepared to be. The last thing you want is to put him under pressure at the moment. When I started with Sophie the trainer was happy for us to sit a bit apart from everyone else at first and gradually join in the things she felt comfortable with and sit out anything that seemed to worry or stress her. She absolutely loves her classes now!

I'm not sure whereabouts you are, but I know good behaviourist in the Midlands area who is brilliant with rescue sighthounds. His charges are very reasonable and I'm sure a session with him would give you lots of useful suggestions. Let me know if you want contact details.

FeeFee said:
What gorgeous dogs  :wub:
I've had several very nervous rescue dogs over the years, including Sophie, the little whippet x I have at the moment. Seven weeks is very early days I'm sure he will improve.

Mainly I think you just have to be patient and take things slowly. Give him lots of space and don't force him into situations that scare him if you can help it - for instance if you can cross the road or turn a corner to avoid going past a group of noisy children then do it if you possibly can.  Make sure you are calm and confident and he sees you as a leader/protector.  Just putting yourself in between him and a 'scary' person can help.

As far as training class is concerned I think it depends how understanding the trainer is prepared to be.  The last thing you want is to put him under pressure at the moment. When I started with Sophie the trainer was happy for us to sit a bit apart from everyone else at first and gradually join in the things she felt comfortable with and sit out anything that seemed to worry or stress her.  She absolutely loves her classes now! 

Thankyou for the advice. I am on the London / Kent border. I will try to have a chat with the trainer before I take him.

I'm not sure whereabouts you are, but I know good behaviourist in the Midlands area who is brilliant with rescue sighthounds. His charges are very reasonable and I'm sure a session with him would give you lots of useful suggestions. Let me know if you want contact details.

jeffmack said:
I have two ten month old wippets, Jake and Izzy. In the last couple of weeks Jake has become nervous around some people. He used to be fine but something spooked him and for a couple of days he kept going under the chair at home and whinning. He has stopped that but when we have him off lead he is nervous of people nearby. If there are one or two people and they are not talking he will walk past them OK. If they are talking or making any sort of noise or movements he stands well away watching and wont come until they are gone. He is terrified if a group of childeren approach him on or off lead. I have to take him to the other side of the road to stop him shaking.

Hi ......at around 4 months and 9 months (ish) dogs hit fear stages ...... I would personally get some rescue remedy and Aspen from the Bach flower remedies and add a few drops of each into the fresh water and also into each of his meals ........It sounds hard, but ignore the nervous behaviour as its very easy to feel sorry for the dog, so fuss /comfort him thus rewarding the behaviour, so the behaviour continues ........ I would walk Jake around the places/people/kids that scare him (with out his sister) ......and I'd keep every thing very relaxed and care free .....I'd speak to everyone I saw in a calm but happy manner ......If you have friends who have kids, get them to be calm around Jake kneel down along side Jake and gently stroke him ....when hes "ok" with them, let the kids feed him something fab like sausage, cooked liver or such like ........If you know people where you live, get them to stroke him (with out eye contact) then ignore him and carry on a conversation, again when he relaxes get the person to offer him the sausage or what ever he really likes ....... :luck: :luck: Hannah.

Edited to say ~I don't think a hall with loads of noise, people or dogs is a very good idea for Jake at the mo .....It could terrify him.

Fee fee are you talking about Jim? He came out to see me and Lenny, he's very good :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
jeffmack said:

Hi ......at around 4 months and 9 months (ish) dogs hit fear stages ...... I would personally get some rescue remedy and Aspen from the Bach flower remedies and add a few drops of each into the fresh water and also into each of his meals ........It sounds hard, but ignore the nervous behaviour as its very easy to feel sorry for the dog, so fuss /comfort him thus rewarding the behaviour, so the behaviour continues ........ I would walk Jake around the places/people/kids that scare him (with out his sister) ......and I'd keep every thing very relaxed and care free .....I'd speak to everyone I saw in a calm but happy manner ......If you have friends who have kids, get them to be calm around Jake kneel down along side Jake and gently stroke him ....when hes "ok" with them, let the kids feed him something fab like sausage, cooked liver or such like ........If you know people where you live, get them to stroke him (with out eye contact) then ignore him and carry on a conversation, again when he relaxes get the person to offer him the sausage or what ever he really likes ....... :luck: :luck: Hannah.

Edited to say ~I don't think a hall with loads of noise, people or dogs is a very good idea for Jake at the mo .....It could terrify him.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I had a look on the internet for rescue remedy and Aspen from the Bach flower remedies and I will give them a try.

jeffmack said:

A quick update on Jake

As suggested above we have been giving him rescue remedy and not making a fuss in situations where he might be nervous and things are improving. Off lead he will happily walk pass people without any fuss. He is also now joining in with other dogs off lead whereas before he would sit on the sidelines or walk away.

Also the fireworks have not worried him one bit.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back