The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wolf-hybrids, dangerous dogs in general, & human behavior

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I really wish we could get a Federal law that bans the crossbreeding of wolves & dogs; forget all that guff about "how similar their DNA", & bear in mind how very dissimilar the 2 species behavior is - they are chalk & cheese.
Unfortunately, like the rest of the wildlife-trade, it's profitable - so stopping it means ruffling the feathers of the profiteers, & they, just like the puppy-mill cadre, lobby intensively. 
:(

I'm strongly against BSL, as 'banning' bully-breeds doesn't make anyone less liable to be bitten, nor does it reduce the severity of bites, frequency of bites among citizens, etc; Holland was kind enuf to collect all that data for the rest of the world, over their own 15-year-long ban of pit-type dogs... & they wisely revoked it, when it did nothing good, & much harm.
But wolf-hybrids aren't a "breed", they are a cross of a domestic species with a wild one, & no more ethical than crossing Cape buffalo with a dairy cow - how would that "improve" the domestic species, as it certainly can't be argued it would IMPROVE the wild buffalo!  Hybrids are a sad lot, who belong nowhere - they can't be turned loose to fend for themselves, nor are they happy in a pet-home - they are incredibly, unbelievably destructive, & unlike a dog, if U try to STOP a hybrid who's happily engaged in chewing the cabinet doors off the kitchen cupboards, or ripping down a ceiling-fan to gnaw on the rattan blades, the hybrid so rudely interrupted may well bite - with force.

I began thinking about this again when i stumbled across this article from 2010 -
http://www.ohmidog.com/2010/01/29/do-freed-after-getting-head-stuck-in-pipe/

The owner of a hybrid who was trapped headfirst in an 8-ft long cast-iron pipe in her backyard, has a record of violations that goes back to 1986 involving her various hybrids over the years; killing dogs or mauling them, escaping & threatening persons, attacking livestock, property damage, & more.
Like her neighbors, i wonder why the local fire-crew & other 1st-responders fell all over themselves to save her trapped hybrid, when she & her hybrids had been a community menace for approx 25 years.  TWENTY county employees, not including the vet & vet-staff once the hybrid was freed & transported there, worked to help that animal. // How much did this woman, so often charged with various community-safety violations, pets' deaths, stock attacked, human bites, etc, PAY for this assistance?
How much did she kick into the local Govt kitty to cover the wages & cost of all that equipment, all those workers, & all that time?

I'll bet not a doggone dime - & she still had the hybrids. :(   California has an excellent, well-written 'Dangerous Dog' state-law.  I think Colorado needs to consider similar legislation.

Q:
Does the DDA mention hybrids? // I know that the UK requires a wildlife permit to keep any wild canid or wild-hybrid.
- terry

Terry Pride, CVA; member Truly Dog-Friendly
'dogs R dogs, wolves R wolves, & primates R us.' -- [™ 2007]

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back