The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

won’t go outside

cowell2024

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone!

I have a 16 week old puppy, who has been brilliant so far but the only issue is getting him to do his business outside. He’s really good at going to his mats at the door to do it when in the house, but we can have him outside for an hour or two and he won’t do anything, yet the moment he comes back inside he’ll pee or dirty.

I haven’t had chance to reward him for peeing outside because he just won’t do it. I know he is still very young but does anyone have any tips or experience with this?

Thanks so much,
Emma

We have a guide to toilet training here that might help - House training

You could try taking the mats outside, and since it may be partly habit and partly confidence, I'd start just outside your door to begin with.

We struggled with august until she was about 7 months old. We are in a flat so she was trained on puppy pads indoors until she was fully vaccinated- the switch too a long time and a lot of patience. As the weather improved we just stayed outside for for hours after her food and when she did eventually toilet she got the biggest praise and treats. Toilets inside were ignored and just cleaned up. Then it all clicked and she started to indicate when she needed to be taken out 😀 she is also crate trained and takes herself to bed around 9pm after last toilet. It can be frustrating but with patience and her realising toilet is only for outside does happen

We struggled with august until she was about 7 months old. We are in a flat so she was trained on puppy pads indoors until she was fully vaccinated- the switch too a long time and a lot of patience. As the weather improved we just stayed outside for for hours after her food and when she did eventually toilet she got the biggest praise and treats. Toilets inside were ignored and just cleaned up. Then it all clicked and she started to indicate when she needed to be taken out 😀 she is also crate trained and takes herself to bed around 9pm after last toilet. It can be frustrating but with patience and her realising toilet is only for outside does happen
thank you! it’s difficult to keep him out a long time at the moment with the winter conditions but I will try keep him out for longer periods on the warmer day. :)

You might find it easier if you take him out and if he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets.

thank you! it’s difficult to keep him out a long time at the moment with the winter conditions but I will try keep him out for longer periods on the warmer day. :)
You might find it easier if you take him out and if he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets.
I will keep trying this thank you :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back