The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Won't go in crate during the day

Arwen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I sometimes need to put my puppy in her crate for short periods during the day, and she totally hates it and wines. But it's a different story at night, she will sleep for about 6 hours before needing the loo. I feed her in the crate and have played with her in it, and she always gets her toys etc. Any suggestions for making her like it during the day? The crate has a blanket over it to make it a 'den', a thick bed and her water. My puppy is 9 weeks old and is a cockapoo. Any help would be greatfuly received. Thanks

If she is happy enough overnight, it might not be the crate that is the problem. How is she if you leave the room with her still in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second JoanneF. Is she wanting to be with you? If so you may need to teach her a little independence. Do let us know and we can give you some tips.

I believe that dog cages/crates have many beneficial uses and are very useful both for our convenience and for some of our pets.

However I do not believe that our dogs/puppies should be caged like rabbits (kennels with runs are different). Just my personal feelings, and no offence meant.

Will your puppy settle if left loose and alone? It seems a shame to upset the night time comfort of the cage and 6 hours of sleep

for just a couple of hours during the day.

I'm sure joanneF be able to help you overcome your issue.

Best wishes.

If I shut Jessie out of the kitchen whilst I'm cooking, sometimes she'll whine at the door, other times she'll go off & entertain herself. She's not consistent at the moment. If I leave the room, and there is someone else there, she will prefer to sit with them, than wait for me. How can I teach her more independence?

In response to exuseme reply, I put Jessie in a crate at night as I have nowhere else that she can be left unsupervised. She is not completely potty trained at the moment, and if I try her on trading pads, and leave her in a puppy pen with her crate, she makes more of a mess, and also has trampled poo into my carpet! The crate is really for her safety not my convenience. Most likely when she is older I will leave the door open.

It's fine to crate your puppy especially at night when you can't be watching her, provided she is happy and not stressed in the crate. At 9 weeks I suggest you set your alarm for during the night to help with her toileting. Overnight is a long time for her, her little bladder and bowel are immature and not strong enough or big enough to go through the night. You want to set her up for success in her toilet training so taking her out will help her achieve that. It won't be for long and at least it is summertime. I don't like puppy pads, they give mixed messages about whether it's ok to toilet indoors. When you do take her out, make sure you praise her like mad when she performs although in the night time visit you should limit your interaction with her, so she gets that it isn't playtime.

Gypsysmum is good with advice on building independence but will probably suggest leaving her alone for very short periods in the day - as little as 30 seconds and building up slowly. She needs to see it's ok to be alone for a short period and that you will come back; a dog with separation anxiety is really hard work. A safe toy like a stuffed Kong is good to keep her occupied. Excuseme is great on food and nutrition advice. Others have other areas of expertise, so we can often help with any questions you have.

I am guessing you haven't had her long if she is only 9 weeks, start early with all this and it will be easier later. Try to take her places, in a carrier or in your arms until she is fully vaccinated to expose her to new experiences.

Also have a look at this link for a few more suggestions we made for someone with a new puppy a few weeks ago http://www.dogforum.co.uk/topic/83711-how-to-crate-train-a-puppy/#entry1151007

And please do come back if you have any more questions.

Teaching independence revolves around ignoring advances and needy behaviour from the dog and rewarding independence with attention. So if your puppy is crying for attention then ignore it. Keep alert for the signs that she has settled and then pay attention to her. Instead of sighing with relief when she is amusing herself, go and interact with her. She will soon learn that playing independently, or settling somewhere, gets her attention and being needy gets her ignored.

This is very difficult when you are also house training. It means that you have to tune in to what is anxiety related and what is "quick I need to go out". They generally circle and look distracted when they need to eliminate.

Pretending to go out of doors and come straight back in again will help to reassure her that you may just be gone a second. Build up gradually to help her understand that you are not gone long. Don't make a fuss when you go and ignore her when you return. She must see it as an every day matter and not a big deal with lots of emotion surrounding being left and reunited.

A good book on raising a pup is "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey :)

I was not meaning that a crate should not be used at all, I think crates are great especially for night times.

It just seemed a shame, and that I thought your puppy may start taking a dislike the night time crate if there was too much dislike in the day time.

Unfortunately there are some people that I personally know who will leave puppies in a crate all day while out at work (sometimes 10 hours) and then crated again for the night time too!!!!! This just seems so unfair. And is why my last post sounded as I did. :rant:

I am sorry If I sounded totally against crates/cages. I think they are great if used correctly.

As previously no offence intended towards "Arwen"

Aw, I didn't pick up any anti crate vibes Excuseme! I totally agree with you. Crates are a fantastic resource if they are used properly, but not as a jail. For what it's worth I have had similar discussions about kiddies' play pens (with parents who refused to use them but couldn't have a shower in the daytime)!

:flowers: Thank you JoanneF.

I do not mean to offend anyone but sometimes unless words are used correctly and the right way round

they may seem offensive to some!

I may not notice how guilty of doing this I am myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back