The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Word Of Warning

wunwin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Went ferreting on sunday on some new permission, with the proviso that the person who got me the land came with me, and brought her bull-x whippet. It had never been ferreting before, but had chased rabbits while out on walks.

Has the dog ever seen ferrets before, i asked. 'No, byt im sure she will be fine' came the reply. Im always wary of other peoples dogs, so i asked the lady owner to take a firm grip of her now apparantly unruly lurcher.

To cut a long story short, in the mele' that ensues during rabbits bolting and ferrets coming out of holes looking for their bolted bunnies, this bull cross grabbed my young hob round its middle. I grabbed the dog and twisted the skin on its neck untill it let my hob go. Do they ever scream and smell! Anyway, alls well that ends well, the ferret is bruised but ok. The friend was very appologetic, and wants to come ferreting again. Do i

a. Tell her to leave the dog at home

b.Tell her to bring the dog and muzzle it untill it learns ferrets are there to provide bunnies to chase

or c. give up some very rabbity permission and tactfully say thanks but no thanks?

wunwin said:
Went ferreting on sunday on some new permission, with the proviso that the person who got  me the land came with me, and brought her bull-x whippet. It had never been ferreting before, but had chased rabbits while out on walks.Has the dog ever seen ferrets before, i asked. 'No, byt im sure she will be fine' came the reply. Im always wary of other peoples dogs, so i asked the lady owner to take a firm grip of her now apparantly unruly lurcher.

To cut a long story short, in the mele' that ensues during rabbits bolting and ferrets coming out of holes looking for their bolted bunnies, this bull cross grabbed my young hob round its middle. I grabbed the dog and twisted the skin on its neck untill it let my hob go.  Do they ever scream and smell! Anyway, alls well that ends well, the ferret is bruised but ok. The friend was very appologetic, and wants to come ferreting again. Do i

a. Tell her to leave the dog at home

b.Tell her to bring the dog and muzzle it untill it learns ferrets are there to provide bunnies to chase

or c. give up some very rabbity permission and tactfully say thanks but no thanks?

B.Tell her to bring the dog and muzzle it untill it learns ferrets are there to provide bunnies to chase

imo kim and tilly

Seen it a few times sadly.

Mine get introduced as pups and go walkabout together.

DEcent, tame ferrets are worth there weight in gold.

I would insist the dog was on a slip lead at the very least.

Or don,t take it, just ain,t worth it, is it ?

Mike

There'll probably be no chance of the dog getting used to the ferrets now, it something that we get our dogs used to when very small- as young as poss.

I wouldnt risk it at all- if it doesnt kill the ferret it may ruin its rabbit flushing technique- ie- not wanting to come out incase a hungry dog is there waiting!!! :lol:

hope your furry's back to health.. love em (even though theyre stinky!)

I'd say leave the dog at home too because it could still damage your ferret with the muzzle on, glad it's ok :sweating:

glad your ferret is ok :thumbsup: i wouldnt risk it again personally with that dog...if they said it was fine and it wasnt then how can you trust it again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the interest! Mike, i dont want to tell her to stay at home and watch tv, she is the one who got me this permission in the first place, and is mad keen. I want to find a solution to the problem rather than call it quits. However, i do have the welfare of my ferrets at heart, so i am thinking of going down the muzzle and slip lead for one last go, and if the dog doesnt show any signs of improving, then i will tell her to leave the dog at home. :oops:

maggymills said:
There'll probably be no chance of the dog getting used to the ferrets now, it something that we get our dogs used to when very small- as young as poss.I wouldnt risk it at all- if it doesnt kill the ferret it may ruin its rabbit flushing technique- ie- not wanting to come out incase a hungry dog is there waiting!!! :lol:

hope your furry's back to health.. love em (even though theyre stinky!)

Fully agree with what is said here the only thing I would suggest is perhaps take your friend minus the dog but offer to take her lamping where her dog can have a few runs but your ferrets are tucked up warm in bed.

Hope this helps

Paul

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back