The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Work and puppy- how did you manage?

byc201

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so hope its ok to post here!

Would really appreciate any advice on bring home/bringing up a puppy. I'm a 22 year old embarking on the journey of dog ownership for the first time. It's been a dream of mine since I was little but felt the circumstances haven't been right until now. Whilst I'm really excited I am also really nervous, and want to do right by this new pup.

I've got a funded place to study as part of a studentship programme at a University... because its a research post within humanities its a maximum 6 hours a week in first year to pretty much self study after that. Hopefully this means lots of time at home but obviously there will be times that I will need to be away from home all day.

How do people continue with training when they have to go back to work? I have 4 weeks when potential puppy comes home before I start my course. After this, would it be ok to get a dog sitter to come in 1 or 2 times a day when I'm out? Or should I take him to doggy day care?

I live with my parents (Mum works part time) so it might work out ok.. it all depends on what my timetable is like.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi there.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by considering your life style before getting a puppy so bravo!

If your mom works part time and you will be at home most of the time then doggy day care is a great way to go. It teaches them manners around other dogs and you will see a great difference with how well behaved your dog will become when meeting and greeting other dogs.

Training for puppies needs to be no more than 10-15 minutes a few times a day as their brains switch off after that so there is no point lol! Plus training is tiring for them.

Signing up for a weekly puppy class when you're at home will be good too.

You get to meet other dogs and owners that will be going through the same thing as you when it comes to the heavy task of taking on a puppy :)

Crate training your puppy too is something I also reccommend.

Everything I have said is exactly what I've done with my dog and he is absolute joy to be around!

Don't get me wrong he has his 'special'moments as he only 1 but overall he is a wonderful dog.

My last tip is to consider the breed you are gettibg. You to know Exactly what you're getting into as every breed is different. Don't go with a breed that's all cute and cuddly just for looks you need to consider their traits,so you know what to expect from their behaviour and meeting their needs and wants.

For example, there is no point getting a husky when you can only walk him once a day for half an hour. These dogs need LOTS of exercise and lots of running around!

I hope all this makes sense and I wish you the best of luck with this new chapter in your life!

If you do it right it will be one of the best things to of happened to you :)

All the best

Sophie x

Hi there!

How is everything going with the new pup? Did you decide to go for it and become a new puppy owner? I just thought 'd let you know about my services, they could come in handy. I am a London-based, and fully insured puppy sitter. Find out more about me, my experience and services here - http://londonpuppysitter.com

I offer flexible fees and services to fit around your needs.

Good luck with eveything, and hope to hear from you if you are in need of some support with your new pup!

Regards

Zara

Hello!

Did you get a puppy in the end? Have you got any hints and tips? I get my puppy at the end of the month and want to be as prepared as possible!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back