The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working/activity Dog Food

~elizabeth~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Today we decided to try Burns working/activity food as ours needs building up, as he's been very active lately. I noticed it was a good deal cheaper than the usual variety - £27 rather than £33. "Oh yes" said our feed merchant, " working dog mixes are VAT free, as is poultry feed etc".

Duh - six years of feeding our dog complete dog food and I've only just noticed this :wacko: :b

Does anyone else feed this?

Elizabeth keep an eye on him. I did the same. It didn't suit my Bean who became ill after being on it. It didn't suit him so much that he developed struvite crystals and bunged up and had to have an op to save his life. He can no longer be used as a stud dog but he is alive. He was in the vets for 3 days. Tally deerhound's coat fell out in patches.

All of my dogs had dull dry coats. Of the 3 that went on it none of them thrived. It was the only time that my dogs have ever not done well or become ill because of what they were fed on and they have been fed a complete diet, a barf diet and meat + diets.

BeeJay said:
Elizabeth keep an eye on him.  I did the same.  It didn't suit my Bean who became ill after being on it.  It didn't suit him so much that he developed struvite crystals and bunged up and had to have an op to save his life.  He can no longer be used as a stud dog but he is alive.  He was in the vets for 3 days.  Tally deerhound's coat fell out in patches. 
Yuck, I've just had something similar myself, months of kidney infections due to a large kidney stone (which passed painfully and ironically just before the kidney scan last week, but better that than the knife option). Thanks - I'll keep an eagle eye on him. That's the trouble with complete foods, if there's a problem you're feeding an awful lot of the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use complete feeds as their main diet but I do use Burgess Supagreyhound as a mixer when I feed them tripe. All greyhound and 'working' dog food is VAT free

its certainly makes a different with no VAT to pay.

does anyone feed their dogs on RED MILLS? if so how good is it?

Since I got larger dogs ( I used to breed Jack Russells), I started feeding a complete feed, primarily because ( me being selfish here) the poos were a lot more managable. I had worried slightly whether the dogs would do as well on it, but I can honestly say they all look brilliant ...... great coats, good body shapes etc and they are fit and active on it. When Nick moved in with me, with his aged lurcher, Blue, I wondered how she would adapt to a different diet as she had always been fed on whatever Nick had to hand. Anyway, she too looks brilliant and Nick has been amazed at how she seems to have regained her youth and keeps up with the rest of them, despite being 8 years older.

The feed I use is a complete feed, made by Countrywide, our local 'agricultural' type shop. Its very reasonably priced too .............. we pay about 9 quid for a 15 kg bag and it comes in 3 varieties which they all love. Does anyone else use this?

As for RedMills, I havent tried it, but the peole we got our greyhound from fed all of their racing dogs on it and seemed pleased with the results.

peony said:
Since I got larger dogs ( I used to breed Jack Russells), I started feeding a complete feed, primarily because  ( me being selfish here) the poos were a lot more managable. I had worried slightly whether the dogs would do as well on it, but I can honestly say they all look brilliant ...... great coats, good body shapes etc and they are fit and active on it. When Nick moved in with me, with his aged lurcher, Blue, I wondered how she would adapt to a different diet as she had always been fed on whatever Nick had to hand. Anyway, she too looks brilliant and Nick has been amazed at how she seems to have regained her youth and keeps up with the rest of them, despite being 8 years older. The feed I use is a complete feed, made by Countrywide, our local 'agricultural' type shop. Its very reasonably priced too .............. we pay about 9 quid for a 15 kg bag and it comes in 3 varieties which they all love. Does anyone else use this?

As for RedMills, I havent tried it, but the peole we got our greyhound from fed all of their racing dogs on it and seemed pleased with the results.

i know they do food for show dogs as well :thumbsup:

I've fed the countrywide complete to my dogs. They used to like it about 2 years ago but I'm not so sure now. Last time that I fed it my dogs didn't want to it after a week or so. That's odd for my dogs so I feed those ones that were on it something different now.

I should explain that I feed my dogs on different feeds depending on whether I race them or not. So Fern (lurcher) and Tally (deerhound) are fed on a non-greyhound food. I also normally feed a cooked meat and mixer meal during the winter months. I don't do this all year around because I don't seem to be able to stop my dogs becoming as fat as pigs on homemade food. :b ie I can't feed them on such small feeds which would enable them to be the right size. :b

The dogs that I race are fed Australian Formula greyhound food. Which seems to keep them nicely muscled with little fat and with a lovely shiny coat.

re poos the best most easily picked up and least smelly poos are those done by my dogs when they are fed on raw chicken wings. Result no smell and small, hard, crumbly white poos.

Sorry I've had to edit this post several times due to my poor spelling and general inability to make sense. :b Nowt new there then. :lol:

I feed my greyhounds on Supagreyhound only £7 for 15kg. I make a mince soup to pour over it. (Value mince Tescos). The dogs look well.

Redmills is a very good food. More like £10-11 per 15kg. The dogs don't really fancy it without meat or gravy added. You can buy two protein levels- Racer and Maintenance for non- racers.

Cerito

daledogs said:
its certainly makes a different with no VAT to pay.does anyone feed their dogs on RED MILLS? if so how good is it?

Hi I feed all my whippets and the greyhound on Red Mills Racer They all do well on it.Tegan was really poor after having pups but as soon as we could we got her on to the Red Mills and she is fatter now than ever before.It was recommended to me by several people and they need only a small amount I was using eukanuba performance before I changed the diferenceone cost in excessf £30 a bag the other I get for £11.55

I will say mine are show dogs not racing or coursing so these dgs may need more but a 15kg bag lasts me just over a week feeding 6 whippets and a greyhound. My two 5mths pups prefer it to pupy food if you give them a bowl of puppy and a bowl of Red Mills they will eat that first

Lasts just over a week??? How much do you have to feed them?? We feed Royal Canin racing food, which costs more than the Red Mills or Burns, I wonder why I have to pay VAT on something which is called racing food? I'll have to ask Arthur! - but I feed 5 whippets for 5/6 weeks on one 15kg sack. I measure it out so that they don't get fat. I have read that some greyhound racing foods have Creatine added. So I don't feed them, as the American Amateur Sports Association has recomended that atheletes DO NOT use creatine as a muscle bulking agent as there has been no useful research undertaken to prove or disprove the effectiveness or the safety of using excessive doses of the substance. Whilst it is not a banned substance, there are scare stories about its possible effect on the kidneys and or liver when the body is overloaded. So we plumped for Royal Canin which contains MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, high protein, high fat, correct levels of vits etc but NOT creatine. It seems to do everything we want a food to do, and more! So we don't need to add anything to their food.

Like BeeJay I have had bad experiences with the particular dog food under discussion. But every dog is different and yours might be OK. :luck:

What an idiot, did the same one twice OOPS!! :D :x

Well, no probs so far but I think I'll ask my supplier about Red Mills, as everyone seems to have only had good experiences with it - they don't keep it at the moment though :( . I wish mine would put weight on, with home cooking or any other sort of food. He's like my OH - however much he eats it doesn't show (not something I can say about myself...) I've asked various vets about it, they seem to think he's fine as he is.

moriarte said:
Well, no probs so far but I think I'll ask my supplier about Red Mills, as everyone seems to have only had good experiences with it - they don't keep it at the moment though :(   . I wish mine would put weight on, with home cooking or any other sort of food. He's like my OH - however much he eats it doesn't show (not something I can say about myself...) I've asked various vets about it, they seem to think he's fine as he is.
Hi Moriarte,

I had one of mine who wouldn't put weight on, i now cook for her lamb, chicken, turkey mince or fish with veg, also "natures" mixer with tripe she has put on weight on this, she just eats everything it really nice to see after seeing her so thin before, she looks really healthy.

I have also fed redmills but only as puppy, and part of their diet not completely, If you go on redmill site they can tell you who stock it near you, i had to order mine from local pet shop, you just put in your postcode and it will give you details of stockists.

Rachel

sunny said:
Hi Moriarte,
I had one of mine who wouldn't put weight on, i now cook for her lamb, chicken, turkey mince or fish with veg, also "natures" mixer with tripe she has put on weight on this, she just eats everything it really nice to see after seeing her so thin before, she looks really healthy.

I have also fed redmills but only as puppy, and part of their diet not completely, If you go on redmill site they can tell you who stock it near you, i had to order mine from local pet shop, you just put in your postcode and it will give you details of stockists.

Rachel

Thanks for that, found a source nearby :thumbsup:

http://www.redmills.co.uk

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
Lasts just over a week???  How much do you have to feed them??  We feed Royal Canin racing food, which costs more than the Red Mills or Burns, I wonder why I have to pay VAT on something which is called racing food?  I'll have to ask Arthur! - but I feed 5 whippets for 5/6 weeks on one 15kg sack.  I measure it out so that they don't get fat.  I have read that some greyhound racing foods have Creatine added.  So I don't feed them, as the American Amateur Sports Association has recomended that atheletes DO NOT use creatine as a muscle bulking agent as there has been no useful research undertaken to prove or disprove the effectiveness or the safety of using excessive doses of the substance.  Whilst it is not a banned substance, there are scare stories about its possible effect on the kidneys and or liver when the body is overloaded. So we plumped for Royal Canin which contains MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, high protein, high fat, correct levels of vits etc but NOT creatine.  It seems to do everything we want a food to do, and more!  So we don't need to add anything to their food.
Like BeeJay I have had bad experiences with the particular dog food under discussion.  But every dog is different and yours might be OK.  :luck:

The whippets actually have very little but the greyhound has two good meals a day. None are fat and all go in the show ring regullary at both open and cham p show level. We have tried the Royal Canin food but none were to keen and wasted more than they ate. The Red Mills I have from our local rep who delivers it to me as I need it which saves me storing it I am the only person he supplies it to and he always makes sure he has plenty in stock .It was recomended to me to put weight on my adolesent greyhound as we were struggling to get any on him

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back