The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Lurchers

Just out of curiosity, how many K9er lurcher entusiasts work their dogs?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dazgail

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Come on don't be shy. No one is going to condemn you if you do and no one will condemn you if you don't?

:D Hope this poll hasn't be done before or i will look a silly twat :teehee:

My girlfriend just shouted over i already do. :p

I would love to work mine but my Iggies show more enthusiasum for the job than my Beddie/Whippet? The only thing Tally is good for at the moment is jumping out of the front room window and buggering off up the road or into my dog hating neighbours kitchen :- "

I am absolutely desperate to. I went lamping once at the end of last season, but the crops were getting too high so we didn't get anything. They nearly got a roe deer on Sunday, but rather glad they didn't because we somewhere rather public in the middle of the afternoon.

No dazgail I do not and never have worked any of my dogs - well not to the extent that I assume you mean, in that I take you to be serious about the persuit as a few of the lurchermen I know are.

I have had 'retired' lurchers who had other ideas, and with that wonderful thing hindsight(!) now realise they had developed old dog tricks :b which were passed on to an extent to any younger ones - by some way of the lurcher masons' or whatever way they communicate with each other :lol: for a time I used to let a good lurcherman who I trusted take out one of my dogs who he rated as being a good worker, it helped a great deal as I got some of the catches to feed the rest, however I moved and thereafter its always just odds and ends.

Good luck in the coming season :thumbsup:

Sure your girlfriend did'nt really meant that (w00t) :- "

I work my lurchers! Always have and always will. That's what they were bred for and they love their job. Especially when they get to eat the meat that we humans don't! :))

Its not the same topic as you've started dazgail, just wondered if you'd read the replies to Mike from Hereford's post on general dog related discussion "Hunting rabbits with dogs - should it be banned?"

No, don't work my lurcher but if out for a walk and she gives chase to a rabbit or two I won't stop her and she gets to keep what she catches, which is not a lot.

I have let her off at a rabbit just to see what she does, which is 15 minutes of stalking for a two second chase after the rabbit has made its two jumps into hiding :lol:

(w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
sighthoundlover said:
I work my lurchers! Always have and always will. That's what they were bred for and they love their job. Especially when they get to eat the meat that we humans don't! :))
here here, well said m8 :cheers: lurchers are bred to work, an not sit by the fire yurning to do what they do best.

YAY- just got another invitation to go lamping :D

dazgail said:
Come on don't be shy. No one is going to condemn you if you do and no one will condemn you if you don't?:D Hope this poll hasn't be done before or i will look a silly twat  :teehee:

My girlfriend just shouted over i already do.  :p

I work mine but in obedience not otherwise -just got a gundog -hunt point retreive Munsterlander and boy do they spark each other off :cheers: and he is only 5mths now!

Tina

Stubournazza said:
dazgail said:
Come on don't be shy. No one is going to condemn you if you do and no one will condemn you if you don't?:D Hope this poll hasn't be done before or i will look a silly twat  :teehee:

My girlfriend just shouted over i already do.  :p

I work mine but in obedience not otherwise -just got a gundog -hunt point retreive Munsterlander and boy do they spark each other off :cheers: and he is only 5mths now!

Tina

yo cant use this thing too well Billy Har here any shows comming up in N I Ring me

Got my 3 for rabbit hunting,(2 whippies and a deerhound x) with the use of ferrets and nets.The lurcher will be mainly for lamping once the nights close in.Been very busy this summer gaining hunting permission, the dogs will be 1 year old this month.I,m really looking forward to this season.Several places have a serious amount of white tails to hunt.Yep, can,t wait.

Mike

Im along similar lines as bappit i don't go out with intent to hunt but if their are rabbits about i dont refrain my dog from chasing them

ive had lurchers in my life as long as i can remember my dad had them for working and ive just took over wer he left of only ever had them as working dogs but could see they would be great pets with the right treatmen tand exercise.

the thing i hate the most is every clip the rspca shows has a clip of a lurcher

Lucas15 said:
Im along similar lines as bappit i don't go out with intent to hunt but if their are rabbits about i dont refrain my dog from chasing them
I work my two lurchers with my terrier up at the farm my mum works, i find the lurchers always have more success when then terrier is working with them as she can bolt the rabbits from the bushes leaving the lurchers well positioned for the chase, you can tell that all dogs involved get so much enjoyment out of working,

Jake

Just wondering also how many people have got lurchers who never intended working them but when they went for country walks and their dogs gave chase were willing them on to catch....even those who don't believe in working their dogs must admit there is a thrill watching their dogs course.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back