The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Lurchers

Just out of curiosity, how many K9er lurcher entusiasts work their dogs?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Attracted to running dogs originally for their quiet dignity and beauty (the rouges came in the same package deal :lol: ), can only say the hounds that have shared their ways over the years and given me so much more than i've ever been able to repay, have made me very humble and forever in awe of their inherant nature :thumbsup:

Noticed this thread bumps up to 'today's'...wondered why that happens sometimes? :blink:

Still bumping up to 'todays'...why?

I have a collie x greyhound and he is a superb worker, he catches a rabbit everytime and his lamp work is second to none - anyone that fancies coming out with me sometime is more than welcome, my girlfriends father has a 1500 acre farm that i work.

What is the poll saying because I'm interested but I would have to vote to see and I don't have a lurcher :(

Have spent many years working lurchers, and will continue to do so when I get another. As others have said it is what they are bred to do, though it is good to see that they are as happy curled by the fire as they are coursing a rabbit in a field on a cold dark windy night.

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
*Lesley* said:
What is the poll saying because I'm interested but I would have to vote to see and I don't have a lurcher :(

Lesley get yourself a lurcher then you can have a vote i would get a dog though as it won't come in to season :- "

Yeah right it might not come into season but the other 3 do (w00t) :oops:

Yea but that won't matter if you don't know about it :oops: :lol:

unless you ask the breeder :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:

Yea but that won't matter if you don't know about it :oops: :lol:

unless you ask the breeder :b

Ha! Ha! Ha! excuse me while I laugh my head off,NOT

mine are worked every weekend in the winter kept fit in the summer. And lamped occasionally but will hopefully be doing alot more lamping next season :)

C.P

Ruby123 said:
I have a collie x greyhound and he is a superb worker, he catches a rabbit everytime and his lamp work is second to none - anyone that fancies coming out with me sometime is more than welcome, my girlfriends father has a 1500 acre farm that i work.
how lucky are you :thumbsup:

boom said:
Ruby123 said:
how lucky are you :thumbsup:

I have a seven year old bull/greyhound and an eighteen month old deerhound/greyhound/whippet and do they work! ! !

i have three terriers which i try to work on a regular basis with my mate who has 2 lurchers and a terrier,he regularly lamps through the winter and has much success with all varitey of game, he is a member on this forum but i dont know his username believe it or not :wacko: :thumbsup:

i dont go out intending to work mine. but we have a farm and they go work themselves for hours whilst im working the horses.

my grandad used to work my little whippet/terrier. i have aquired two more noe thou (greyhoundx whippet/staffi and (saluki/whippetxcolli/greyhound)

we have raced/sim coursed one of them for first time and he won the res champion so think he deserves to go do some real work with a friend of mine.

Also they do agility/obedience so they are kept active!!!

do a bit with my 2, hare before the ban rabbits, tree rats, why not i say.

Nothing better than watching a lurcher in hunting mode the ultimate buzz! i couldnt not work one

i have only ever kept lurchers for work but have also enjoyed shows and racing.

i only picked up the 2 lurchers again in november and january. in the past i have worked lurchers at fox and rabbit day and night from burrows and cover and in the lamp alongside terriers hounds and ferrets. i also ran daytime hares singlehanded up until 2001 but took very few, wont be running any intentionallly as they are protected albeit unjustly by a lacs member abusing power as a minister the racing circuit does not suit the dogs i keep really as there are a number of folks purpose breeding for racing first and hunting second or not at all, my dogs simply would not have a chance the similuted cousring is better for them. a lot of the lurchers i have owned have refused to run the artificial too clever.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back