The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Worried

Stamford

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I’m worried about my 12 year old cocker. In the past few weeks she’s been acting really weird. She’s always locked the gravy from our plates. But now if I put the plate down and the cutlery clangs on the plate she runs a mile. She’s really scared. She’s also been getting up in the night ( she sleeps in our room and a spare room) and she’s scraping the corners of our bedroom carpet. So much so she’s ruined it. She won’t stop unless I get out of bed and chastise her. It’s mostly very early mornings from around 5.30 am onwards. She’s also developed an annoying habit of wanting to go on the garden after dark about 20 times a night. She doesn’t pee. She just goes out and comes back in again. Honestly I love her to bits. But my sleep is being constantly broken and she’s stressing me out in the evening. I don’t know what to do anymore.

I wonder if it might be canine cognitive dysfunction. I'd make an appointment with the vet, there are medications that can help.

I wonder if it might be canine cognitive dysfunction. I'd make an appointment with the vet, there are medications that can help.
What in earth is that ? I think I’ll read up on it. Thanks.

It's a form of dementia.

Sadly, the dog's physical condition isn't necessarily protection. But like I said, your vet can possibly prescribe something helpful - and I may not be right anyway.

I've had cockers all my life and the one thing about them is their prone to stress reactions. I'd consider a physical problem as well. My last lovely boy starting doing stuff like scratching in corners when he started to develop kidney problems- maybe a stone in this case? I'd get a vet check if you can asap. Could be based on real discomfort. And jumping at loud noises just to do with raised adrenalin levels. Good luck- they are the world's most wonderful dogs but as my mother always said: they'r not tough, bless them.

I've had cockers all my life and the one thing about them is their prone to stress reactions. I'd consider a physical problem as well. My last lovely boy starting doing stuff like scratching in corners when he started to develop kidney problems- maybe a stone in this case? I'd get a vet check if you can asap. Could be based on real discomfort. And jumping at loud noises just to do with raised adrenalin levels. Good luck- they are the world's most wonderful dogs but as my mother always said: they'r not tough, bless them.
Thank you. She’s the most amazing dog ever. The best temperament the most soft and loving. She’s 12 now and I’m starting to dread the day we will lose her. She’s become quite odd as of late. With the things I’ve described. I can’t get to a vet right now as they are only seeing emergency cases only. She’s eating and drinking and pooing ok. She’s quite lively. So I’m hoping to hang out till I can take her for some blood tests and an examination.

Have you asked if it's possible to have a phone appointment with your vet? I doubt that they would be able to diagnose and prescribe without a physical exam and tests, but they may be able to talk you through some possibilities and even suggest ways to reduce her stress.

Have you asked if it's possible to have a phone appointment with your vet? I doubt that they would be able to diagnose and prescribe without a physical exam and tests, but they may be able to talk you through some possibilities and even suggest ways to reduce her stress.
Yes I did this already. They want to give me a mild sedative to give her at night to stop the carpet closing. But she’s 12 and I don’t want to sedate her.

Ah, OK - it's not easy :-(

I have just got some ACP from the vet but I don’t think I will give it to her. I’m too scared.

ACP a sedative, but in my experience only short lasting. Have used it with ponies, donkeys and dogs

ACP a sedative, but in my experience only short lasting. Have used it with ponies, donkeys and dogs
Yes I’m hoping it will help her settle at night. And give us a nights sleep too. But she’s up most of the night scratching and scraping. She’s tired. We’re tired.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back