The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wots Peoples Opinion

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ok here's what i think (in my head it seems sensible but feel free to tell me otherwise).

I personally think the top 10 competition should be scored over only 17 events all classics

2x NNWRF GJ Straights + champs 2x Bends + champs

2x BWRA Classic + champs 2x Bends + champs

1x Scottish Champs

South Coast Scratch bends and straights

2x Derbys english and Scottish.

In my eyes this would mean a maximum of 2 opens a month, therefore members could travel to their clubs for the remaining 2-3 weeks of the month.

I know people say that the opens are what bring the clubs revenue, but when you have low attendances and you have paid out for trophies jackets etc hardly any clubs are making money. However if you had a larger volume of members running at club handicaps throughout the year this would bring in more money to the club in entry fees etc. Also more people should be able to afford to travel to the one major open in the month- as they have saved money on petrol and entry fees for the rest of the month, meaning the NNWRF and BWRA should have higher attendance for the opens. The opens can then be spread fairly around the country so everybody has a close open or one they have to travel to. If the Fed and BWRA made enough money they could then pass a % of the money made back to the club. Then the opens would be moved to another club next year etc so all clubs get a fair crack at holding one of the classic events. Also i am sure that over weekend events the club holding the classic could put on an 'additional open'.

Additional opens could still be run by clubs for trophies etc but would not count for top ten points, so there would be less pressure on people to travel every week to support the clubs holding opens.

I think this would be the fairest representation of the best dogs in the country as you would have to have a dog consistent over the whole year, and at the same time a bitch in season would only miss maybe 1 or 2 of the classics instead of a large chunk of the racing for the 2-3 months. Also it would help get the classic events back to the prestige they once held before.

Just my opinion as i said, seems the fairest way to me.

THAT SOUNDS GREAT JADE. THAT SHOULD BE DONE :thumbsup:

maybe someone shud propose it whenever the proposals r up. ;)

Well said, this idea should be discussed & implemented as soon as possible. This could be the saviour of whippet racing, as at the moment there are far too many opens. People should be encouraged to support their clubs more & this would enable them to do so.

Well said, this idea should be discussed & implemented as soon as possible. This could be the saviour of whippet racing, as at the moment there are far too many opens. People should be encouraged to support their clubs more & this would enable them to do so.
WELL SAID JOHN :thumbsup:

Blimey!! Thanks for the support guys i hope it does get implemented for the good of the sport!

Ok here's what i think (in my head it seems sensible but feel free to tell me otherwise).
I personally think the top 10 competition should be scored over only 17 events all classics

2x NNWRF GJ Straights + champs 2x Bends + champs

2x BWRA Classic + champs 2x Bends + champs

1x Scottish Champs

South Coast Scratch bends and straights

2x Derbys english and Scottish.

In my eyes this would mean a maximum of 2 opens a month, therefore members could travel to their clubs for the remaining 2-3 weeks of the month.

I know people say that the opens are what bring the clubs revenue, but when you have low attendances and you have paid out for trophies jackets etc hardly any clubs are making money. However if you had a larger volume of members running at club handicaps throughout the year this would bring in more money to the club in entry fees etc. Also more people should be able to afford to travel to the one major open in the month- as they have saved money on petrol and entry fees for the rest of the month, meaning the NNWRF and BWRA should have higher attendance for the opens. The opens can then be spread fairly around the country so everybody has a close open or one they have to travel to. If the Fed and BWRA made enough money they could then pass a % of the money made back to the club. Then the opens would be moved to another club next year etc so all clubs get a fair crack at holding one of the classic events. Also i am sure that over weekend events the club holding the classic could put on an 'additional open'.

Additional opens could still be run by clubs for trophies etc but would not count for top ten points, so there would be less pressure on people to travel every week to support the clubs holding opens.

I think this would be the fairest representation of the best dogs in the country as you would have to have a dog consistent over the whole year, and at the same time a bitch in season would only miss maybe 1 or 2 of the classics instead of a large chunk of the racing for the 2-3 months. Also it would help get the classic events back to the prestige they once held before.

Just my opinion as i said, seems the fairest way to me.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Save it and put it forward for proposals Jade,brill idea :thumbsup:

Who would you propose it to?? Whippet news is run by Chris Cornish the decison would ultimately be hers, besides i will let somebody else take the credit if it does work out as i am not a member anymore :b Just addicted to racing, and will get another dog one day so still as passionate about it now as the day i bought my little Tiggeryroo home!

Only a relative newbie to this great sport but I totally agree with 'jade scott'

In my very humble and not very experience opinion I think there are way to many “opens” to the detriment of club racing

Only a relative newbie to this great sport but I totally agree with 'jade scott'In my very humble and not very experience opinion I think there are way to many “opens” to the detriment of club racing
On the opposite end of the scale i've been racing a good few years and have been saying the same for a quite some time. Clubs are rapidliy declining and then where do we train our dogs for opens and champs etc. Eventually no clubs, no racing i would think :( Is it time to get back to the clubs and give them the support thats needed to enable them to pay there rents, insurances etc. to keep the our hobby/sport going. Then as has been said to attend an open would be more of a special occasion instead of the norm as it is now and hopefully they would gain higher attendances. So Jade i guess i agree too. ;)

Only a relative newbie to this great sport but I totally agree with 'jade scott'In my very humble and not very experience opinion I think there are way to many “opens” to the detriment of club racing
On the opposite end of the scale i've been racing a good few years and have been saying the same for a quite some time. Clubs are rapidliy declining and then where do we train our dogs for opens and champs etc. Eventually no clubs, no racing i would think :( Is it time to get back to the clubs and give them the support thats needed to enable them to pay there rents, insurances etc. to keep the our hobby/sport going. Then as has been said to attend an open would be more of a special occasion instead of the norm as it is now and hopefully they would gain higher attendances. So Jade i guess i agree too. ;)
Ditto i just think that clubs are were the racing should be encouraged to grow and if more turned up the better it would be for all

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back