The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Would-be whippet owner with allergy issues

eleanorl

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

I'm very keen to add a whippet to my little family. It's currently just myself and my nearly five year old daughter living in a fairly small house, but near a very big park. I've never owned a dog before, but have always wanted to. Part of what has prevented me is that I'm terribly allergic to many animals. I definitely would never be able to live with a cat. However, I've found that some dogs I seem not to react to, at least in the short term.

I've definitely made up my mind that if I can make sure that my allergies would allow me to get a whippet then it's the dog for us. However, I'm not sure how to go about making sure this is the case before committing to a dog. Any thoughts or advice or where I can go to spend some time with whippets, or tests that can be done to find out if I'll react? Also, advice on reducing allergy problems?

Also, I've been reading that whippets love sleeping with people, but I'd definitely need to keep my bedroom a dog-free zone. Will this be a problem if I'm training a puppy? If so, I guess I might be better going for an old dog that's already trained, though I'd prefer to get a puppy. I'd be happy for a trained dog to sleep with my daugther, or at least in her room, if they both were up for that.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

As to finding out about your allergy, all I can suggest is finding a local breeder and going along and spending time with their dogs, that should show if you react or not. With the sleeping arrangements, yes Whippets do love sleeping with their family, but it isn't essential. Many do sleep quite happily apart, assuming of course they have a warm comfy bed. For sure Whippets do normally make wonderful companions both for children and the adults.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back