The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Yard Cleaner That Won't Harm Plants??

~Annie~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We're currently turning the space behind the house into a courtyard garden that the dogs will use so I will need to be able to wash it down and disinfect it regularly BUT it has established shrubs all around the edge and plants growing up between the stones and I don't want to kill them. I've been using Dettol and Jeyes fluid on the concreted area where the dogs currently toilet and have no idea if those products are safe if they find their way to a plants roots ... anyone got any info/recommendations ??

Cheers

Annie

I found this link from a previous discussion. I haven't read it all through to see if it answers your question regarding the plants, but I've heard (other than on K9) that Jeyes isn't the best disinfectant to use where animals are concerned. Can't remember where I read this now.....

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....09&hl=jeyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link Nicola ... we only use the Jeyes once in a blue moon, mostly we swill off with a very dilute Dettol ... just worried that that will do the roots of my lovely shrubs no good at all.

dettols worse than jays for animals especially cats anything that goes cloudy in water is to be avoided. as out back flagged we have tried everything and usually end up back with good old bleach we have a sprayer that you would put plant food in and attach to your hoes pipe and we put bleach in that does the job well and all my plants are fine after years of it infcat there bigger then my neighbors. the only other thing i use more for the smell is this

http://www.animal-health.co.uk/eMerchantPr...p?idCategory=22

Thanks Wendy ... the boys shouldn't be in any danger from the Dettol at the mo, they only ever toilet in the place where it's used - they go straight in, do what they need to, and come straight out again - but that's another reason I want to change, I don't want to use anything that could hurt them in an area where they'll be playing and resting.

How much do you dilute the bleach?

I too use good old bleach. :D I swill it down with a bucket of water with a small amount of bleach in it then another bucket of plain water to swill it away. At the weekends it all gets a good hosing down.

i would say if your getting a flagged area the best thing we got was a jet wash once a week blast it dosnt take long but realy shift anything

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back