Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think yearling racing was introduced to fill the gap between pup and adult racing. The argument for yearling racing is that it fills the gap between pup and adult racing where some dogs cant compete. The argument against is why bother with yearling racing when some put their dogs in both the yearling and adult racing anyway only making more work for the event organisors and adding to the length of a long day.

I voted no as I think puppy racing should be -10 mts- 14mts, this would give pups time to grow before they start racing and most pups should be well schooled by 10mts

jim l ;)

thats spot on Jim i agree totally,saves rushing pups and gives them a chance to mature :)

But Puppy racing ISN'T 10-14mths ... do you still vote for scrapping yearlings anyway ?

It's a tricky question really, I have a h/w handicap yearling and I would like to try and keep her running as a yearling as long as possible ('till July) but in another sense I cannot as there are not that many heavyweight yearlings around meaning most of the time she'd end up solo or even a 2 dog race then find herself giving huge amounts of yardage in the run off. With this happening I would like to run her in her adult weight class to give her the experience of a full race with other dogs of similar weight.

It's no good telling me to go to my club for these close race experiences as she already gives 5-6yds as a minimum (God knows what I'll do if she wins again).

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote to keep the yearling's. My dog is 1 year 2 week's old and is just now racing. He never schooled as a pup as he almost choked himself to death at 12 week's old at the Scottish Derby. I was to scared to let him near a track and see the racing as he was totaly daft, alway's pulling on his lead and choking himself. He not much better now but he is in a harness and still nut's at the track.

If there was no yearling racing I would need to put him in with adult's and he would learn bugger all as he would trail in last all the time.

Keep the yearling's I say :D

I say do away with them and make pups from 10 months to 18 months

it would save people rushing pups to get them racing

:D I SAY KEEP THEM AND PLEASE PLEASE HAVE MORE NO LIMIT YEARLINGS AS IT TAKES THESE BIG DOGS A WHILE TO FIND THEIR LEGS THERES ALWAYS AN EXCEPTION IE NO SURRENDER BUT THAT IS 18 MONTHS NOW GIVE THE YOUNGER NO LIMITS A CHANCE. BUT DEF KEEP ALL YEARLINGS WHAT ABOUT HAVING POINTS FOR YEARLINGS TO MAKE IT MORE EXCITING OR WUD THAT NOT WORK? ;)

I would like the yearlings to stay. When I first started racing I could not see the point of racing my dogs when they came out the pups at twelve months old as at that time the more mature dogs seemed to be streets ahead of them. I wonder what effect if any would this have had on entrys in the recent English Derby if there were no yearlings as the clabir of adult dogs racing was excellent and in my opinion (with the odd exception) most of the yearlings would not have stood much of a chance in the adults. I agree that there are some dogs win titles at a young age but there are few and far between do this. In my opinion it is just about right at the moment if we made pups ten to eighteen months I think in most cases the dogs running at ten months old would stand no chance against the dogs about seventeen months old. If it was left the way it is the dogs that are taking longer to get into their running could run with dogs with similar ability and the ones who are ready to adult race could be moved up to the adults.

Why don't we adopt the same format as the Greyhounds. i.e. up to 2 yrs they are classified as puppies. 2 - 4 yrs adults and over 4yrs they are veterans. Something different and worth a try - could make interesting racing!!!! :)

I say keep yearlings on but up the yearling stage for upto two years of age. :p that way people will not be rushing their whipsters we hope??

:D good idea that pat pups till 1 year old yearlings to 2 years old adults between 2 and 5 and veterans 5+ and definitly more yearling no limits. 8)

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t) :lol: WE AGREE ON SOMATS MY SHERRY o:)

Fleesh, im sure I read that you thought yd a lb should stay ,and that any weight is ok as long as you get the best out of your training, but it seems giving to many yards is now a problem ? . The yards will still be there when she is an adult only by then she will have realised its a waist of time chasing, so she will tail in further behind than she should if it was trased back on time. But thats what you will have to get used to unless we change the system.

You must have misread where you think I said yard a pound should stay Scotty in fact I voted for 2ft/lb.

Actually my main gripe is about distances as I belive that ALL dogs racing should have to run at a MINIMUM the distance stated on a programme or advert (i.e. 160yds FRONT DOG).

I merely made out as an example how hard it is to find heavyweight Yearlings about to run with but how much I would prefer my bitch to not have to chase mature adult dogs in her weight class and lose heart in that sense, what is to say my bitch will make Supreme finals as an adult anyway ?? :unsure:

(BTW at the Yearling Champs Moany Moany gave the 16lb bitch a 14yds start and lost by a nose for 2nd spot, the distance was 150yds front dog at yd/lb)

what is to say my bitch will make Supreme finals as an adult anyway
I'll put money on her being in a yd/lb final through having a solo in her class!!!

Yearlings was to give dogs that were behind in their racing for whatever reason, now you can have supreeme winners and racing champions in the yearling class, that should not be alowed.

Saxon Tiger took Supreme yearling at the NWRF. In Devon same year she ran against R.Ch. Drama Quuen, who was off 18lbs and Saxon Tiger 30lbs and what a race she put up and beat Drama Queen comfortably. Don't think she could do that now as Drama Queen is much faster and with injury problems Saxon Tiger has had over the past couple of years she is never 100% fit for racing, although she still puts up a good performance. So it proves the scratch dogs can beat with lighter at yd/lb (occasionally) :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back