The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Yellow Coats

Louise_Simon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Are orange coats acceptable at opens? I have 2 sets supplied by Greyhound Megastore both have orange instead of yellow coats. Should I be looking to buy a yellow coat to replace the orange ones so my dog is not disqualified?

This came up yesterday, I havent had a problem so far with orange vs yellow but I do want to avoid trouble in the future.

As far as I know they are fine as they have been around for years.

I was surprised to hear someone say yesterday that they are not allowed. I have seen them used for years too, and it's something I haven't come across before. Not sure where the information came from Lou, but I wouldn't worry - just keep using the orange ones. I can't imagine any club would disqualify you for using an orange coat - would they? :unsure:

I think (and therefore I am :eek: ) that the original 5 coat was orange.

But we have noticed that in Europe the 5 coat is Yellow with a black 5 on both sides

The WCRA rules state than the 5 jacket is Yellow

I don't know when this was all changed but (when I was a lad) :clown:

The Red jacket had a white 1 in a black square on one side and a black 1 on the other side

The Blue jacket had a similar system with the number 2

The White jacket had a black 3 on both sides

The Black jacket had a white 4 on both sides

The orange jacket had a black 5 on one side and a white 5 in a black square on the other.

The b&w stripe jacket had a red 6 on one side and a white 6 in a black square on the other.

This was all for the photo-finish as the film would have been Black & White

Now with the introduction of coloured film this may have changed.

Nowever - way back 8) - the 2 jacket was white and the 3 jacket was blue

hence in Coursing the runners are in either red or white (blue in the Bye colour)

Now the question is - does your orange coat have different coloured 5s on either side?

Hows that - you thought racing jacket colours were set in stone - they were not. -_-

Still confused Rob - you say " The WCRA rules state than the 5 jacket is Yellow|" but then talk about the orange jacket with the different colour numbers. So is it supposed to be yellow or orange?

Personally as a line judge, an orange jacket always throws me as they are often too close to the red when you are trying to place 4 or 5 dogs all at once and I know that the other judges usually agree so for that reason I would like to see a rule that said a yellow jacket had to be yellow, not orange.

I'm expecting lots of comments about being colour blind... or just plain blind now :D

It was a South Cotswolds member at his first time on the Open circuit whose dog was threatened with disqualification for wearing a yellow/orange jacket. He had to borrow the jacket as he doesn't have a yellow one. More importantly though,it was the attitude of the line judge towards him and his dog that upset him. Needless to say he' thinking twice before attending another Open.

Still confused Rob - you say " The WCRA rules state than the 5 jacket is Yellow|" but then talk about the orange jacket with the different colour numbers. So is it supposed to be yellow or orange?
Personally as a line judge, an orange jacket always throws me as they are often too close to the red when you are trying to place 4 or 5 dogs all at once and I know that the other judges usually agree so for that reason I would like to see a rule that said a yellow jacket had to be yellow, not orange.

I'm expecting lots of comments about being colour blind... or just plain blind now :D
you are far too young to have eyesight problems Judy :D

Hi (Bear of little brain) Judy

My comment about WCRA rules is straight form the rule book

My note on jacket colours and coloured numbers is from my own experience

No problem about female colour blindness it is male green/red colour blindness you would have to be careful of But We Don't have a Green Jacket in the UK (however try Oz rules) - trust me I'm a Dr (me and Dr Ishihara - look him up) 8)

It was a South Cotswolds member at his first time on the Open circuit whose dog was threatened with disqualification for wearing a yellow/orange jacket. He had to borrow the jacket as he doesn't have a yellow one. More importantly though,it was the attitude of the line judge towards him and his dog that upset him. Needless to say he' thinking twice before attending another Open.

It was me, Barbara and Sue Meecham on the line nearly all day so maybe you'd like to name the line judge Julia, as whilst we did have a confused moment over an orange jacket, none of us said anything at all to the owner (don't even know which race or which dog it was) Why would we, we know it's it not a quantifiable offence, or at least I've never heard of anyone being disqualified for it. Didn't even know anyone was threatened with disqualification. Is that why this thread was started?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really shocked by this accusation. I was on the line for most of the day. At no time did any of the line judges threaten any owner with their dog being disqualified for ANY reason. It just never happened.

i agree the 5 jacket should be yellow.....not orange.....everyone always moans about the line judges :( without us you wouldnt be able to have a result :lol: :lol:

funny how its ALWAYS the same reliable faces week in week out on the line :- :- :-

thanks ladies :lol:

I think after making that accusation Julia, you should look closer to home - it was actually one of your mates who made the comment :D

I really didn't want to start anything, I just needed to know for future reference. Think I'm going to get the sewing machine out sharpish so we're covered both ways ;)

It was not a line judge who brought the issue up at the time, it was more of a discussion on the pick up

louise when i brought my coats from greyhound mega store they asked me if i wanted yellow or orange :thumbsup: so they do have them if you get anymore :thumbsup:

louise when i brought my coats from greyhound mega store they asked me if i wanted yellow or orange :thumbsup: so they do have them if you get anymore :thumbsup:
thanks for that, when I got ours she insisted orange was what they had. Ah well not that many 5 dog races :D

I think it is ridiculous to suggest anyone would be disqualified for having an orange coat - they have been around for years. The VERY experienced line judges on the day are well aware of this. This is surely nothing short of troublemaking/paranoia to make any such acusation !

I think it is ridiculous to suggest anyone would be disqualified for having an orange coat - they have been around for years. The VERY experienced line judges on the day are well aware of this. This is surely nothing short of troublemaking/paranoia to make any such acusation !
I think there has been a HUGE misunderstanding, It was a discussion at the pick up and the owner of the dog has taken it to heart it being his first open and mixed up who was who, the dog went on to the next round so no problem there.

I just posted to get it straight in my mind that my orange coats are ok to use.

No worries Lou. I don't think it was your post that Lesley was referring to.

No worries Lou. I don't think it was your post that Lesley was referring to.
Absolutely, Judy. Louise I apologise to you. I never intended to have a go at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Should we continue racing in the current hostile atmosphere created by a tiny minority, I would have no intention of altering my orange coats to yellow. Very few clubs are racing to WCRA rules in the present climate so I won't lose sleep. Lou, perhaps borrow a yellow coat if you get in a 5 dog race at the Champs which seems unlikely this year due to a reduced entry ;)

I find it difficult to believe that a SC member was threatened with disqualification for wearing an orange coat Julia. And Julie, you are dead right, some people spend a great deal of time on the line with little thanks and plenty of criticism

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back