The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Yellow ribbon for dogs needing space on walks

hanneroon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/
a friend just emailed me a link to this, it seems like a lovely idea, perhaps someone more able than me could nab and repost their poster?
Basically they are suggesting that dogs that need a bit of space wear a yellow ribbon on their lead, or a yellow bandana or something, neat idea eh?

The_Official_Yellow_Dog_UK_poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thats a really good idea...... Especially if everyone knows about it?

Thanks for posting!

I think it's a brilliant idea too, but unfortunately I also think that it's destined to fail until the people who think that it's OK to allow their offlead dogs to approach everybody and all dogs learn to control their dogs and check before approaching.

I could put a big sign over Molly's head saying 'this dog will eat your grandmother' and I doubt it would stop some of the people who I meet from allowing their dogs to come running up to her. Being approached by other dogs, especially at 30 miles an hour, is Molly's biggest fear, so we call her back to us and put her on a lead. It would be so nice if the other owner noticed that this was happening and called their dog back, but most of them completely fail to notice this, and I would imagine that they won't notice a ribbon either.

Reactions: TTT
ha, Eingana, too true perhaps, but if the campaign gets a lot of publicity, perhaps things may change, hey maybe they could give out the info at the vets at the same time as microchipping or something... Hahahaha!

Have you seen the colour coded leads, that are red yellow or green, with danger, no dogs, and friendly written on, also white ones with blind or deaf on. I thought about getting a yellow-no dogs one, for dude, but No dogs; perhaps isn't the right message. Blind also seemed a bit pointless, for us. This ribbon thing, and the 'more space' message seemed a bit clearer, but you are right its useless if no one knows about it, and you will never get through to the 'don't worry he's friendly' brigade.

We use the traffic light leads with the foster dogs at GSDR, as well as an 'Adopt Me' lead or coat for some of them, but the number of people who can clearly speak English but completely ignore the message on the lead is truly amazing.

Like Eingana, I did think it was a fantastic idea and Joss has been wearing the bandana and ribbon for a while now but, predictably, it hasn't made the slightest difference. She is still approached by other dogs and no one round here has any idea of the significance of the yellow, Even if there was enough publicity, it wouldn't change the attitude of the owners of the culprits one little bit.

I find it all very strange because if I see ANY dog on the lead when I am out with my 2, I recall them both and put them on the lead so they dont go near it, not to protect the dog on the lead but to protect my 2, if a dog is on the lead it makes me think there is a reason for it....

However in defense of people not understanding the yellow ribbon, I have had dogs since I was 18 and this is the first time Ive seen it mention and its on a Dog Forum, so I guess the message isnt getting out...

Posters need to go up in vets and pet shops and we as dog owners need to talk about it.... :)

I am going to put the poster on the DF facebook page and on my own! :)

This has a long way to go before it becomes well known enough to be effective and tbh, looking at some of the pictures on their website, a yellow ribbon on a lead simply is not visible enough until you get close, which kind of defeats the object of the exercise. The only reasonably effective way of communicating your dog has a problem is one of those hi-vis vests with large writing on them, but even then, as has been said, it is down to other dog owners showing a little common courtesy and respect which we all know is in short supply.

Personally I know my dog is ok with other dogs but nonetheless, I always take my que from the other dog owner (or if they are nowhere in sight, from the dog itself). If an approaching dog is on the lead, mine goes on the lead or is diverted away until they pass. If the dog is running free, then mine goes free. This is one of the basic responsibilities of dog ownership.

It does have to be said though, there are some downright pig ignorant people out there and owning a dog does not seem to change them in the slightest.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back