The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Yorkie behavior

Lukeybouy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there.
So I have a 1yr old Yorkshire terrier, me and my wife love Him to bits and he is a diamond when he is with just one of us. But as soon as we are both together in one room he becomes a nightmare, he growls at us along with yelping, barking, and running around alot. Does anyone have any ideas why? Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you think think the yelping and barking is directed at you? Does he start up as soon as one of you approaches the room the other person is in? What if you sit on opposite sides of the room?

Also, does he get enough exercise and mental stimulation? A tired dog will find it easier to relax.

Do you think think the yelping and barking is directed at you? Does he start up as soon as one of you approaches the room the other person is in? What if you sit on opposite sides of the room?

Also, does he get enough exercise and mental stimulation? A tired dog will find it easier to relax.
Yes plenty of exercise daily and yes as soon as one of us walks in to the same room.

Yes plenty of exercise daily and yes as soon as one of us walks in to the same room.
Now there is different kind of barking too. Does this sound more of 'keep away' type of barking (eg. not so nice) or excited type (eg. when playing)?
If it is more of a 'not so nice intentions' type of bark then you could try to accociate the 'coming into the room' with something nice...like entering with exiting toy in your hand. Train your dog to sit down to 'earn' the play session and then you both have good time playing. Very soon your dog will forget his negative thoughts (what ever may have been cause for them) and having you both in the same room is going to be nice thing.

Oh and to add...teeny dogs, like yorkies, can have a 'little dog syndrome' (not a medical thing!)...they often think of themselves much bigger than they are. :rolleyes: So if you start this 'playing to train to behave' thing....start by both of you going down to his level. Sit on the floor for the play so he doesn't feel you 'giants' are trying to over shadow him with his 'big dog play' session o_O:rolleyes::D
And if you give him treats (when both you are in same room), only give them when he has earned them by not barking....reward his correct behaviour with nice things.
Don't expect him to learn to be quiet all the time though. Yorkies are naturally quite vocal...so some 'nice' noises during play etc. would be very hard to suppress and I would let him have his moments to express himself this way ;)
Oh..and...I hope you don't treat him as 'he is only a little one' attitude. Many yorkies I've known are turned into very moody, little yappers because their owners have treated like they are 'teeny, weeny, cute, little things'. OH NO...despite their size, they are terriers and have working back ground bred into them. So try always behave and treat him mentally like he is a big boy...'he can do it'. And his terrier nature will flourish and the dog will be much happier dog.

Last edited:
It's very much an exciting bark he always seems to want to go in the garden but as soon as we let him out he wants to come straight back in. Is this because he wants to play alot? On top of this we have a 10 month old son who we are trying to spend time with aswell so it's hard to do all at once but we know we need to look after both equally.

It's very much an exciting bark he always seems to want to go in the garden but as soon as we let him out he wants to come straight back in. Is this because he wants to play alot? On top of this we have a 10 month old son who we are trying to spend time with aswell so it's hard to do all at once but we know we need to look after both equally.
Well...in that case it could be case of wanting never ending amount of attention and play. He is still very young and at 1 year old, all terriers are bundles of fun and never ending energy. But still, even if it is excited bark, you can still train him to control it so it doesn't come too much of a habit and go over the top. To start with try to distract him with simple 'sit' (with the toy as reward)….if he manages to sit down without barking...he can have 5 minutes of excited play time with you (or both of you). If you keep to that 'barking means no play' rule...he will eventually work it out himself what you require him to do. There is a 'big' brain inside that little head ;)
My younger terrier is now 10 months and there is only 3 things she does...eat, sleep and endlessly being in action (play). Just last night, I was reading a book while same time my other hand was dangling a rope and a dog on the end of it. :D If I remembered to shake the rope every so often, she was happy as 'Larry' to rag it...this went on for couple of hours! My year older terrier has given up that none sense already, behaving most of time like 'adult' dog =no so much play but real action when it is called for. So if you can find energy and time to give yours some attention...I'm sure things will naturally settle as he get older...give a another year or so (if you are lucky) ;)

Well...in that case it could be case of wanting never ending amount of attention and play. He is still very young and at 1 year old, all terriers are bundles of fun and never ending energy. But still, even if it is excited bark, you can still train him to control it so it doesn't come too much of a habit and go over the top. To start with try to distract him with simple 'sit' (with the toy as reward)….if he manages to sit down without barking...he can have 5 minutes of excited play time with you (or both of you). If you keep to that 'barking means no play' rule...he will eventually work it out himself what you require him to do. There is a 'big' brain inside that little head ;)
My younger terrier is now 10 months and there is only 3 things she does...eat, sleep and endlessly being in action (play). Just last night, I was reading a book while same time my other hand was dangling a rope and a dog on the end of it. :D If I remembered to shake the rope every so often, she was happy as 'Larry' to rag it...this went on for couple of hours! My year older terrier has given up that none sense already, behaving most of time like 'adult' dog =no so much play but real action when it is called for. So if you can find energy and time to give yours some attention...I'm sure things will naturally settle as he get older...give a another year or so (if you are lucky) ;)

Part of that going into garden is him wanting to explore and do stuff...but what's fun going there on his own? He wants one of you to go with him! ;) At this age he will want to do everything and anything with a company..eventually he will grow out of that too and be more independent dog.

It might be helpful to teach him a good 'settle' - check out this video:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back