The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Your Views........

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
Joanna said:
Heard a showing judge say that a whippet under her had too much muscle. Would this prclude most racing whippets from a win in the show ring? :unsure:

Yes.............I have a show-bred dog who I race. He is quite lean (needs to be for racing) and muscular. I had to get 5lbs off him for racing and he wouldn't show at his current weight. This is my issue with trying to be all things to all men. The all-rounder (and I am talking one that does well in all fields, not just one that can do it all) is a unicorn, a mythical creature ;)

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
Joanna said:
Heard a showing judge say that a whippet under her had too much muscle. Would this prclude most racing whippets from a win in the show ring? :unsure:

so glad you have raised this , i too was told my young bitch was a very nice little bitch with many other positive comments , then she said such a shame she has all that muscle !!! :eek: she is a working whippet whom needs to be fit and muscled!!! :wacko:

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
Joanna said:

Yes I had this 18 years ago about my show bred Greyhounds (who free ran and hunted :- " ) ......but in fairness dogs that are over muscled can have their movement "changed" by too much muscle :) .....but I know which I prefer ;)

yes hannah, yopu are right it can go too far and those ruin some of the clean lines and movement is altered etc , but this is heard more frequently sadly , whereas im sure you will agree there should be a good degree of well exercised muscle shape :thumbsup:

anyway im a bit passionate for fit sexy bums and thighs :b (w00t)

Joanna said:
Yes.............I have a show-bred dog who I race. He is quite lean (needs to be for racing) and muscular. I had to get 5lbs off him for racing and he wouldn't show at his current weight. This is my issue with trying to be all things to all men. The all-rounder (and I am talking one that does well in all fields, not just one that can do it all) is a unicorn, a mythical creature ;)
I used to have this same problem with my Arab horses. I endurance raced them, but if I put them in a show they were then far too lean. It also seemed so unfair as when show horses are covered with fat a lot of their faults are hidden but they are the ones that do the winning.

Pauline

I recently had a nice couple of places at a Championship show in very larger classes, a 3rd place and a 1st place. The well known all rounder judge commented on the excellent condition of my bitch and said she was lovely and fit and well muscled.

Juley said:
I recently had a nice couple of places at a Championship show in very larger classes, a 3rd place and a 1st place. The well known all rounder judge commented on the excellent condition of my bitch and said she was lovely and fit and well muscled.
Perhaps all rounders tend towards the more "traditional" type. Just from what I see the "modern" type seems not so curvy and lean. :oops:

One of my Dads whippet who I handle has a tendency to build muscle fairly easily - but as Dad keeps him so fit there aren't many in the ring that are in as hard condition as him. I would prefer a little less muscle as it can alter the movement slightly. However my point is he won 2 Postgrad classes this year as well as other placings.

So a fit dog with muscle can do perfectly well in the ring :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back