The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

6 month old puppy still pees in crate at night but not in day!???

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
He sleeps in the front room he always has done. Maybe it's a stage he's going through? I hear of people saying tjere 6 month old puppy sleeps all the way through I think.whaaattt lol he's left 7 hours when I work 3 days a week and doesn't do anything

All dogs are different, just like people. Some babies sleep through the night from 6 weeks, some are closer to 6 years (guess which sort I had?:eek:). Some people only wee two or three times a day, some wee a lot more. Some need to get up for a wee in the night even if they can last a long time in the day. You just have to accept this is the dog you have, and not compare with others.

I would get him a bigger crate that goes in your room (or just a bed next to yours), so he doesn't whine because he's feeling alone and worried. Then, as has been said, take him out when he seems to want to go, but make it really boring.

And do check that whatever disinfectant you're using is safe and appropriate for dogs. Some aren't safe, and the smell of some can encourage them to go in places they've been used.

I use that 1001 is it?? And wash his bedding straight away if he's done a wee. Hopefully it's just him and nothing I'm doing coz I cant do anymore lol

You are lucky that a pup that is left for 7 hrs during the day can hold on ....
If its a crate your pup had as a 10 week old he will need a larger crate now so that he can move freely and not just turn as this could be misconstrued as cruel confinement. ..

Actually I think most people on this forum ARE saying it's what you are doing. Nothing is his fault. Dogs differ a great deal.You have to listen to their needs and I'm sorry but you have to change in this case. You owe him that.

I use that 1001 is it?? And wash his bedding straight away if he's done a wee. Hopefully it's just him and nothing I'm doing coz I cant do anymore lol

1001 do a range of products... Anything containing ammonia can encourage the dog to pee there again - I'd have a look for products specifically designed for dogs as they will be less likely to have anything harsh in that could harm the dog. Make sure you're using a bio washing powder for the blankets.

But if he's weeing in the crate because you're ignoring him - or because he's only whining quietly, which is another reason for having him in your room - then this won't help. When you gotta go, you gotta go ;)

His crate is large. He can stretch out in it. I guess I just got to be patient. So many ppl tell me diff things lol. He's alot better when I'm off when I can really wear him out. So u think it can be normal for them to have more accidents at night?

This morning you said his crate was 'just big enough to turn around in'. That is not large.

If he's been fully vet checked for any toileting issues, then having more accidents at night is normal for him. But being left for 7 hours isn't ideal, particularly for a pup - many pet organisations recommend a maximum of 4 hours. The right thing to do would be to get a dog walker to give him a break in the middle of the day.

Well he's absolutely.fine in the day so that's not my issue. Believe me his crate is more than big enough lol you could fit two or three of.him in there. Haha

I'm sorry but if you are crating this puppy for 7 hours during the day and then again at night this is not fine. And if to everything anyone says you respond with not wanting to change how you keep him, why ask the question? I really urge you to think again about his welfare. You have a duty to him. Having a dog is a privilege.

I know loads of people who do that. They adapt.to your lifestyle. Everybody is different and have different opinions

I know loads of people who do that. They adapt.to your lifestyle. Everybody is different and have different opinions
It is our choice to buy a pup ...they should not have to adapt to your lifestyle you should have considered this before ....
I dont understand you Keep asking for advice and then ignore all the advice given ...most of us have experience in dog welfare ....confining a pup or any dog 7 hrs a day and then all night another 8 hrs is Cruel ...that isnt different opinions this is Animal Welfare ....

I have a different opinion. :)

In the U-S, having a FT job means 36 to 40-hrs per week, out of the house.
Most dogs who are 6-MO & under 10-YO to 12-YO, can cope with an 8-hr day solo so long as they are consistently empty, when they enter the house / crate.
However, dogs cannot cope with an 8-hr day PLUS a lengthy commute on both sides of that working schedule.

The other difficulty with dog-ownership in the U-S & FT work, is that FT hours do not include any assurance of adequate wages. Dog owners who work for hourly wages (as opposed to workers who are salaried) will generally not be able to afford daily potty breaks, done by a pro. // as a result, some have a walker come by 3 days of 5, or drop their dog off with a retired relative, or draft family members to drop by, & get their pup or dog out; some swap with dog-owning neighbors, who work a different shift.
Some share ownership, with one dog living in 2 or even 3 households.

But most adult dogs in the U-S who are owned by working adults that aren’t employed in middle-Mgmt or Admin positions, simply deal with being alone, 40 to 50 hours of every week.

In my personal experience, all of my dogs - so far - have been able to deal with this, except when they were ill or injured. No, it’s not optimal, but to have a dog at all, this is the current reality, in this economy.

So yes, my dogs (other than my childhood dog, on our family farm) have all been crate trained from puphood or as adults. // All of them were fine with it, the crate was left ajar as part of the furnishings, & they went in whenever they wished, plus entered willingly on cue.
They had Kongs stuffed & frozen, or durable consumables as pacifiers, to keep them happy when solo. Antlers, cow hooves, horns, sterilized bones, etc.

- terry

Sorry Terry but USA ranks only as a B in the World Animal Protection League and UK ranks A with places like Norway- so maybe you just have lower standards anyway?

So they're basically calling me a bad owner. Okay fair enough but keep.it to yourself. I have taken advice and currently trying it so thank you but please.if.you are going to start a war then don't bother reading my replies

And thank you " leashes for life" totally agree. We have always had dogs and done the same for.them.to be happy.and very loving family.dogs!

The crate he can walk from.one end to the other. I am definitely not cruel and I have it here. So yes it's fine

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back