The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

a starved horse gets a new life

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

a Paint stallion was one of 5 animals rescued by Houston, TX, ACC, from very bad care - he was hundreds of pounds down from healthy wt. He was adopted by one of the editors of PetTalk magazine, who's a horse-novice. She hires a local [female] trainer to help start him in groundwork, build trust, & put muscle back on him.

I was sorry to see the clip about sending him to "super trainer Jack" for an attitude adjustment, as up til that point, his rehab had been pos-R. :--\ Rats. I am however, very glad that he was gelded - he was a real sh!t with 2 other adult horses, & injured them both badly, with nasty, nasty bites.
By the end of the video, he's doing very well. :) . Handsome lad.

I think that this is who Freedom's adopter refers to as "Super-trainer Jack"-

http://www.jacklieser.com/about/

Note that his foundation as a trainer was Parelli - a Western-horse variation on Monty Sloan's "join-up", where the horse is pushed around a round-pen with threatening movement [buggy whip, longue-line end, other object] & the directed GAZE of the trainer, who stands in the middle, while the horse trots or runs the circumference. When the horse gets tired & wants to stop, s/he is pushed again... & again... & again, until they're willing to drop their heads, turn toward the trainer, & make appeasement gestures to stop the threats.
It's a no-contact fight with the horse, in essence.

Too many horse-training techniques & tools hearken to "dominance" - just like traditional dog-training - or sheer brute force, & sometimes pain. It's not needed, IMO & IME.
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back