The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Adders

Holliepup

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Planning a wee holiday on this scottish island in Sept. Hollie coming too of course. Thing is I heard somewhere that you get a lot of adders in the Highlands and I am wondering if I should be concerned and take any precautions with Hollie?

cottage.jpg

Lovely cottage! Looks like a great place to relax :) . Oh I wouldn't worry about the adders we live and holiday in scotland and I think holly would have to be very very unlucky to get bitten.

WE LIVE IN THE NEW FOREST AND I HAVE SEEN 2 ADDERS THIS SUMMER WHILE

OUT WALKING WITH OUR WHIPPET 'JESSE'

OUR VET ADVISED US TO ALWAYS CARRY SOME PIRITON TABLETS JUST INCASE

OF A BITE. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. :thumbsup:

HAVE A WORD WITH YOUR VET BEFORE YOU GO.

Sonia and Jesse xx

We've got a lot of adders around here in wilts too - have to just get on with it - have fun - and make sure you have a mobile phone when out and about :thumbsup:

they do say that in the spring and autumn they tend to be most aggressive so try not too worry have fun :thumbsup:

That cottage looks very familiar - where about is it?

Most of the adders I've seen have been basking (sunning themselves) very close to water such as ponds, burns (streams), small rivers etc. I had a close call with a very large one beside a stream up a mountain when my dog seemed to think it was a stick. Luckily she was obedient so I called her away.

Normally they disappear if they hear someone coming as they are quite shy.

Have a word with your vet about the best precautions.

I found the cottage on the net - Island of Carna near Laga Bay

http://www.isleofcarna.co.uk/index.html

Only a few more weeks to go - cant wait!! Ill keep an eye out for snakes. Thing is mobiles dont work on the island and you can only get there by boat - hence my slight nervousness. Not sure what I could do in the event of an accident.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back