The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Needed On Pining Dog

tinabow

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
as some of you may have read we lost harley 10 days ago

rory is pining for him not eating just picks at his food(rory normal gusts his food down him)

walks around the house looking for him crying

wants outside all the time goes to where we buried harley and lies down

won't let the other boys anywhere near him

he's lost weight tried hand feeding no good

im really worried that im going to lose him as well

as anyone had same problem?

tina

Aww Im so sorry Tina you are having problems after losing Harley... :(

I must admit this is one of my fears now, owing multiple dogs.....Ive only ever owned one dog when Ive lost them

so suppose I will have to face this when it comes...it must be aweful. :( so therefore I cant give you any advice on this Im sorry.

Suppose the dogs have to grieve naturally like us in our own little ways and come to terms with it eventually and realise they

are not there in body....but maybe in spirit. :)

we had the same problem when Woody died....Badger stopped eating....he barely ate anything for three weeks and has several relapses since we lost Woody.

I'll be honest and say that Badger has never completely got over the loss of his best mate and even recently stopped eating for ten days.

All I can advise is to give him plenty of one to one attention and take him for lots of walks the next week or two so he is tired some of the time.....this takes the edge off the desire to pace about and will also help his appetite.

we just kept offering all sorts of foods, even things like bacon etc and other human food just to encourage him to eat something, even if only a couple of mouthfuls.

Also I would let him visit where his mate is buried and go sit with him for a few minutes a day but don't allow him to become obsessed with it.

but just give him time, if they were together a long time it will take him a while to accept it....it's much like with people and everyone is individual and he will deal with it to some extent in the end.

Homeopathic Ignatia is very good for grieving dogs :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear you've lost Harley :(

Never had to deal with this yet :( so can't offer any advice.......sorry Tina :(

Must be very difficult for you atm....

I hope things settle down real soon hun..........thinking of you :huggles:

I am sorry to hear about Harley.

My old girl Foxy never bounced back after our lovely Peat (her son) had to be PTS. She did not go off her food but she was on steroids which may be a factor. She lived another 14 months passing away at 13.5 a couple of months ago but she had lost much of her sparkle and sense of fun. Yes, dogs do grieve even when they have others for company.

Some have a very close bond. He will 'come out of it' I am sure but it does take time and he may never be 100% the dog he was before.

He probably senses your loss and grieving too. If you can manage it, a short break somewhere with Rory ( with or without the others) would probably help you both. Easier said than done however.

Poor Rory, lots of hugs

firstly im sorry that you lost harley..its heartbreaking loosing a member of the family

when we lost peggy Bow my other whippy whos never been on her own and was always mothered by peggy,she had to grow up quick although she was 5year old

Bow also went off her food a little..shes a gannet,went everso quiet and just wasnt the same,looking for peggy..it was pitiful to see as im sure she felt sad vibes from me as i cried alot..we still miss peggy

It does take time but he'l come to terms with the lost..just give plenty of tlc and extra attention which im sure you are

maybe your vet can help to give her something..pets do grieve and feel lost

hugs to you all

Ow Tina I'm so sorry I didn't know you had lost Harley.

Button was very much the same when we lost William. The best advise we were given was to allow her to grieve in her own way. She chewed herself she wrecked William's crate she barked all the time she wouldn't eat and at one time refused to even come into the house she just wanted to be in the garden to the extent that when the weather was warm we put an old crate with a bed in it in the garden covered with a tarpaulin and she spent her time in the crate only coming into the house at night.

We allowed her to get over it in her own way but also I took William's crate away cleaned were it was with bleach threw away their old bed and really got rid of every thing that was William. His coats are still hanging up and his dish is on the side. I found that bit hard as it seemed as though I was getting rid of my big lad but it did help Button. She is much more settled now and is getting on with Zoe now. She spends the afternoons on warm days in the garden with Zoe. William's crate is leaning against the fence in the garden I still can't bring myself to get rid off it.

Button was very much the same when we lost William. The best advise we were given was to allow her to grieve in her own way. She chewed herself she wrecked William's crate she barked all the time she wouldn't eat and at one time refused to even come into the house she just wanted to be in the garden to the extent that when the weather was warm we put an old crate with a bed in it in the garden covered with a tarpaulin and she spent her time in the crate only coming into the house at night.

We allowed her to get over it in her own way but also I took William's crate away cleaned were it was with bleach threw away their old bed and really got rid of every thing that was William. His coats are still hanging up and his dish is on the side. I found that bit hard as it seemed as though I was getting rid of my big lad but it did help Button. She is much more settled now and is getting on with Zoe now. She spends the afternoons on warm days in the garden with Zoe. William's crate is leaning against the fence in the garden I still can't bring myself to get rid off it.
So sorry Helen, I never knew that youd lost William!

So sorry Helen, I never knew that youd lost William!
Yes Sharron we lost him in march due to bloat. The big lad was very brave and never let on he was ill no signs of being in pain at all. He just lost consciousness at my feet and dispite rushing him to the vets there was nothing they could do. They could have operated but he would have to be hospitalised and you know what he was like the stress would have killed him. I miss my big lad everyday and would do anything to have him back he was only 6 it would have been his 7th birthday in 2 weeks.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back