The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

American Bulldog XL

I have yeah thinking of doing this when he is a little older and allowed to go out as I walk a lot thought it be best option

Mine all started on raw from 8 weeks :)

Perhaps you should think about changing him over to the large breed Wainwright's as it has the correct nutrition for a large breed puppy:)

I thought he could only have puppy food

Wainrights Large Breed Puppy food. Though they also do a grainfree puppy food which may be better - grain is pretty much just filler.

There aren't any animals that eat differently from adults once weaned. The special breed food, puppy food etc is just a gimmick. So feed pup the best food you can afford and he'll be fine.

I've fed raw since the late 1980s but it IS a big leap for someone who has only fed commercial food. You might like to investigate that option in the future, but meanwhile check out the sites that analyse dog food and see what suits.

@Hemlock, I agree with you for the most part over ”special” foods but as I understand it, large breed puppy foods have a different phosphorus to calcium ratio so that bone development and growth are more evenly matched. For smaller breeds it is less of an issue but a dog that is going to have the conformation of a bully will need all the skeletal support it can get.

A dog is considered a large breed if it's adult weight is over 50lbs:)

@Hemlock, I agree with you for the most part over ”special” foods but as I understand it, large breed puppy foods have a different phosphorus to calcium ratio so that bone development and growth are more evenly matched. For smaller breeds it is less of an issue but a dog that is going to have the conformation of a bully will need all the skeletal support it can get.
What do you advise that is best

The XL bully usually get to around 40kg unless it is a pocket size ...30kg

Last edited:
What do you advise that is best
My main advice is large breed puppy food, but if you want to assess brands, have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have (although the breed and puppy filters should take care of the phosphoruscalcium issue). As I remember, the bully is not a recognised breed to you might need to put in a different large breed but should still get a result.

The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

40kg, surely? Which is well over 50lb so in the large breed category.
Yes sorry 40kg ...can be as little as 30kg as they have also bred the pocket sized bully ....

Last edited:
Your puppy is going to be a big beauty so he definitely needs a Large breed puppy food:)
As joannef has said have a look at the allaboutdogfood website:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back